PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Windlass / Winch - South Pacific ?

Figjamm
20-02-2006, 11:08 AM
Has anyone here used, or know anyone who has used, a South Pacific horizontal windlass on their boat?

We're looking at the South Pacific Windlass 710F - Free Fall model

We have a 17ft Seafarer Ventura, and advertising blurb states the 710F / Free Fall has been specially designed for smaller size boats.... suits boats from 15ft to 22ft or handle up to 15lb anchor. Retrieval Speed is 17m(57ft)/min at 20kg(44lb) load

Full product details here -
http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=148&item=632&intAbsolutePage=1

Any other positive or negative thoughts on Anchor Windlasses would also be appreciated.

--
Bev

drevil
20-02-2006, 11:28 AM
Hi Bev

Don't know about that model, but I have one on our boat and I love it. Makes dropping & retrieving the anchor really easy, especially when you are on your own or with someone not too strong like the kids, etc.

Just make sure when retrieving that you always motor towards the chain/rode as you pull it in, don't make the windlass do all the work.

Geoff_Atkinson
20-02-2006, 11:30 AM
You're not going to put that where the esky should be are you Bev?

blaze
20-02-2006, 11:31 AM
Hi Bev
Member Newby has one (think thats the model he has) I recall when being up in 1770 on the m & g that i was inpressed with his, he did say that you need to up grade to the stainless (thingie thats holds the rope) because the plastic ones keep breaking. I was inpressed enough to put it on my to do list along with a sarca anchor.
cheers
blaze

Figjamm
20-02-2006, 01:18 PM
Just make sure when retrieving that you always motor towards the chain/rode as you pull it in, don't make the windlass do all the work. #

Yes, I can imagine how that would overload the windlass unnecessarily.... thanks drevil :)

Figjamm
20-02-2006, 01:28 PM
You're not going to put that where the esky should be are you Bev?

LOL, no! :) We're going to alter the anchor hatch during the rebuild, so just planning ahead to incorporate any necessary modifications while we're at it.

Figjamm
20-02-2006, 01:37 PM
Member Newby has one (think thats the model he has) I recall when being up in 1770 on the m & g that i was inpressed with his, he did say that you need to up grade to the stainless (thingie thats holds the rope) because the plastic ones keep breaking. I was impressed enough to put it on my to do list along with a sarca anchor.

Thanks Blaze.... I consider that a pretty good recommendation if it's on your "to do" list :)

I noticed on the South Pacific website that a stainless steel Gypsy is now available, so will order one straight up if we go ahead with this purchase.

Dignity
20-02-2006, 08:18 PM
Bev, my wife loves it - she used to be the anchor man err person - make sure you use at least 12 mm rope or better still 14 mm rope

Don't use it off shore as it takes too long to pull up as the retrieval rates quoted are slower, still use the anchor buoy system for that. Also where I often camp at South Straddie I used to use a pulley system previously so that I could access the boat at any stage of the tide but not possible now with the anchor winch, have to go swimming if the tide has come in - any one got any ideas with using a pair of solenoids and a remote control that I can use.

sam

Figjamm
21-02-2006, 04:23 PM
Bev, my wife loves it - she used to be the anchor man err person - make sure you use at least 12 mm rope or better still 14 mm rope

We already use 12mm, so would see how that went first. #Thanks for the tip about not using off shore.

#Also where I often camp at South Straddie I used to use a pulley system previously so that I could access the boat at any stage of the tide but not possible now with the anchor winch, have to go swimming if the tide has come in - any one got any ideas with using a pair of solenoids and a remote control that I can use. #

Remote control? interesting thought #:) When we are camping, Ross always puts a second anchor off the rear bollard, leaves enough slack in the ropes to allow the boat to rise and fall with the tides. When we want to get to the boat we can just pull it in towards shore. Might not work so well in a crowded camp area though #;)

fish2eat
21-02-2006, 05:48 PM
Hi Bev

I have the 800H model on my baycruiser (pictured) had it for about 18 months and it pulls a 35 lb anchor on a 29ft boat, so quite impressive for a small package.

However, I did have a small problem with the motor, so rang South Pacific (a couple of times) after sales service is not good.....its run by Chinese (while I am NOT racist) he is not easy to talk to, and just wanted the winch posted down to Sydney.......now it weighs about 5kg so you can imagine what that would cost.

I ended up taking the motor out and taking it to the local auto electrician, who fixed it for $60 and I reassembled it, works fine again now.

I am pulling 5lb over its rated max anchor weight, so maybe that had something to do with it. But just a warning about after sales, if you ever do need it.

PS when I had the unit dissassembled, it did look to be well enough made, and the castings were good.

Stu

Dignity
21-02-2006, 06:36 PM
#

Remote control? interesting thought #:) When we are camping, Ross always puts a second anchor off the rear bollard, leaves enough slack in the ropes to allow the boat to rise and fall with the tides. When we want to get to the boat we can just pull it in towards shore. Might not work so well in a crowded camp area though #;)

Bev, what I used to do and some of my friends also was to have a ring on the end of the chain. The anchor rope would be threaded through this ring back to shore to either a tree or another anchor if necessary and back to the rear bollard on the boat. Usually a short length of rope was used on the rear bollard to the anchor rope to keep it close to the boat. With this method once ashore you pulled the boat out into deep water by pulling on the rope going to the pointy end of the boat and to hop back on you pulled the length of rope that was tied to the blunt end. I also had a ring on the end of the anchor rope for security so it wouldn't pull through the one on the chain. Clear as mud - if not will try and raw something up.

Still looking for ideas from anybody with some electrical experience to design a remote for the winch - anybody out there.

sam

Figjamm
22-02-2006, 08:08 PM
Hi Stu,

Thanks for your feedback. Good to hear from someone who's actually pulled one apart. After sales service also noted.

Postage from Qld to Sydney would be under $15, so not too bad. Well not to us anyway.... we've been stung $10 for lightweight parts when they have needed to come up from Sydney.

--
Bev

Fishin_Dan
22-02-2006, 08:28 PM
Still looking for ideas from anybody with some electrical experience to design a remote for the winch - anybody out there.

sam

You need an old Remote Control Car. Keep the crystal componentry that sends/receives the signals from control to the car. Using a multi meter, you will be able to find out where the electronic signal is produced. Then just remove any un-needed components, fit the receiver end in-line to the power to the anchor winch unit... Then you just "Kick the car into Turbo Fast Forward" mode ( ;) ) on the control to wind up the anchor (Or pull the boat into shore)

(You would need to wire in the receiver as a secondary switch rather than just straight in-line. Otherwise you would have to turn on both switches to wind up the anchor)

blaze
22-02-2006, 08:46 PM
need to add a relay too other wise you will never get the power through. could be done though. have a look at some where like jaycar.com.au for your conponents
cheers
blaze
ps
easier to sleep aboard

Dignity
25-02-2006, 09:10 PM
thanks dan, blaze - will check it out - sleeping aboard is what I do but often need to go to the pub, go fishing, have a drink with the boys and many hours can elapse - wasn't a problem before anchor winch and I don't like swimming out to the boat in mid winter especially with those big bity things in the water

sam