PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used the $700-1000 Hydraulic steering kits?

fishingrod
16-02-2006, 11:03 PM
I am looking at feed back on the lower cost hydraulic steering kits in the $700 to $1000 mark (eg from Bias or Whitworths)

It would be on a 5m glass half cabin with approx 115hp

Has anyone used these kits? My local outboard dealer reckons that they are cheap and nasty..... more plastic fittings and generally weaker bits that break off it they get bumped etc
He reckons he uses a better kit that is around $1600 (sorry i forget the brand or model)

The other option is to keep my existing morse steering cable (4-5 years old) and getting a morse "non feed back helm" has anyone used one of these before?

The reason i ask is that i may be re-powering my boat as my motor has died and is not worth fixing. Or i may sell it at hull and trailer value and get something else.

blaze
17-02-2006, 05:54 AM
Hi Fishingrod
Best move I ever made was getting the hyraulic steering, mines the cheapest of them with the ram out one side. For instants, coming home yesterday in flat seas i only touched the wheel about 4 times in the last 5km back to the river, just some mirror correction. Easy to turn and zero feed back fitted to a merc 115
only plastic bits on this one is the lines
cheers
blaze

revs57
17-02-2006, 07:18 AM
Yeah FR,

I'm with Blaze,

I put a Sea Star unit by morse on the Riptide ram, is in the centre, $700.00ish....brilliant...I dunno what your local dealer bloke is on about - I wouldn't reckon that's cheap and nasty - you're talking about a known brand with excellent service network with spare parts backup and warranty???? Where's the problem???

Oh the only negative comment about the sea Star is the helm pump protudes from the bulkhead approx 75mm more than the more expensive units

(I had a non feed back cable to put on it but chose to go the hydraulic)

Cheers

rhys

nodjule
17-02-2006, 11:05 AM
Hydraulic steering is the bees knees, one of the best things you can put on your boat, sea star will serve you no problems...

scuttlebutt
17-02-2006, 12:10 PM
I recently fitted a Hydrive Bullhorn kit to my boat (525 Seafisher with 90hp 4stroke) and it's fantastic. The whole kit was just under $1000 and there's nothing cheap about it. All the fittings are brass or stainless and pretty sure they have a great reputation. They make a cheaper version (around $700) which apparently isn't as robust. I haven't heard of any kits costing more than $1000 for that size boat, unless that's including labour for a complicated fitout.

I installed it myself and then got my mechanic to check the system and fill it with oil and saved about $300.

cheers,

steve

Mr__Bean
17-02-2006, 12:37 PM
I too would like to scuttle any discussion about the 700-1000 dollar kits being cheap and nasty.

I have a Sea Star unit exactly like the one in the picture here (look no plastic):
http://ww2.seastarsteering.com/

When I was looking around for what type I was advised to go bullhorn and that there wasn't much in it between brands.

So, I went off the Boat Show and stuck my nose in and under the Whittley's and other "not so cheap" boats to see what they were installing.

They had Sea Star so that was good enough for me.

So far trouble free except for a small oil leak that was due to my installation, not their product (hint - allow plenty of hydraulic tube at the engine so that it doesn't twist within the fitting when the engine tilts).

- Darren

fishingrod
17-02-2006, 11:10 PM
Great .... thanks guys. Your replies are exactly want i wanted to hear. Its not a commercial work boat so im certian the kits im looking at will be OK. If i get a new motor i will almost certainly get the Hyd steer as its the icing on the cake and will really make the new motor even more enjoyable :)

My mind is spinning while i work out what to do..... :-/..... repower the 1986 Cruise craft with a new $9500 115hp 2 stroke. (i cant afford a 4 stroke as its nearly $4K more if i go with a Yammy)

Or sell the hull and trailer for ~$5000 and look for a BMT used package for $15K....... i have been looking for a while and cant see anything i like for $15K with a late model motor. Im too fussy. Grr grrr

joeT
18-02-2006, 10:27 AM
If you're happy with your rig and reckon it'll last you for a while, I'd go for the new motor. Too many unknowns with someone else's used boat/motor/trailer package.

johnnytheone
18-02-2006, 11:45 AM
Mad if you don't. I've had 'em on 2 boats without a hitch. Don't know what your dealer is talking about.

John.

malp
23-02-2006, 10:51 AM
FR,
Mate, you won't go wrong with a Hydrive Bullhorn setup. I fitted it 4 yrs ago to 525 stacer with a Tohatsu 90 and it is the best thing I have ever added to the boat. Prior to that I had it on another boat of similar size but older. It really saved my skin one day when the boat developed a crack 44k's out to sea. Luckily it was a calm day and I was able to let the steering go while we were bailing. 2 bilge pumps couldn't keep up. We made it back to shore but I reakon we wouldn't have if HS wasn't fitted. Just one of the advantages. In the time I've had it, there has not been one fault with it. The fittings are all top quality with no sign of corrosion on anything at all. You won't be disappointed. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

serch1
28-02-2006, 08:41 PM
heya Guys,
I have been restoring an old savage envoy (for pleasure and pain) lol 16 foot used for skiing, cruising around the rivers and bays.Due to the old engines dying of old age and whipped to death, I have recieved an oldish in pretty good nik yam 150 v6-1989 (just in case I have to escape!) I have teleflex quick snap steering cable already in the boat and also enquire about the hydraulic steering.... My splash well is not all that large compared to newer boats, Would the cable suffice... or is it worth going hydraulic.... and do they make compact rams? only a novice...
Regards Kev

fishingrod
28-02-2006, 09:26 PM
Kev:
have a look on a few of the manufacturers web sites or get a copy of the Whitworths or Bias catalogues ... they got some piccys. There is all different mounts available from the front and side and then variations of them again

Cable is OK. Its cheap. If you insist in going for cable have a look at the "non feedback" helms. I have never used one myself but the theory is good.

Hydraulic is the icing on the cake if you can afford the extra

serch1
28-02-2006, 10:07 PM
Thanks fishingrod,

Would like to do the hydraulic..... so will hunt that down i think......
especially being 150hp..... and I think it is all a neater uncluttered splash well..
ta again
kev