PDA

View Full Version : New Boy on the Dock

Horrie
22-02-2006, 04:44 PM
G'day Folks,
Just bought my first boat (well it's only a 3.75 tinnie :-[) and am eagre to learn as much as I can.
Let's see if I can post a pic of the boat.
Cheers.
John

fish-n-dive
22-02-2006, 04:48 PM
Geez, the boat is bigger than your car ;D, you've got nothin to complain about :exclamation

Cheers and welcome

caloundra
22-02-2006, 04:52 PM
welcome to the site horrie
nice boat and love the moke mate
you'll learn heaps here

Daniel

insideout
22-02-2006, 05:13 PM
mate , like ya boat , but love ya car!! Welcome to the site !!!

Tony_N
22-02-2006, 05:18 PM
The shack in the background isn't too shabby either.

The_Walrus
22-02-2006, 08:19 PM
Welcome to the site.

Nice boat and tow vehicle. :D

Better to have a smaller boat now than hoping for a bigger one in the future. You can always upgrade. ;)

Luc

longtail
22-02-2006, 08:22 PM
welcome to ausfish horrie , nice boat , my wife loves the moke ;D

cheers
jason

ps- where are you located?

fishin_till_late
22-02-2006, 08:43 PM
nice boat, it looks bigger than a 3.75 compared to the car! my grandmother allways tells me about the story my grandfather brought a young family home from the local grocery store in his mini moke, the twist to the story was it was a lift home during a hail storm! that certainly would have been an ineresting trip

bungie
22-02-2006, 10:52 PM
Mokes are front wheel drive ? going to be interesting on some ramps :)

The_Walrus
23-02-2006, 02:28 AM
You can always get the deckie to sit on the hood to increase the traction. :)

Lack of traction has been a problem with my 4X2 ute on some ramps when retrieving the boat. Had to get the deckie to sit on the back of the tray.

Luc

James_Rand
23-02-2006, 10:40 AM
Horrie,

Dont't listen to them mate, front wheel drive cars are actually better on a ramp than rear wheel drive. I have proven that many times in my Verada V6.

The driving wheels are on clean dry ground instead of in the slimy, slippery stuff near the water! Falcons and Commodores are the worst - as there is not enough weight over the driving wheels. A mates VN V8 commodore couldn't even pull a 4m tinny off a ramp at Bribie a couple of weeks ago, so the Verada was hooked up and away it went no worries. I reckon your little moke will be fine! :)

jr/

Alex9797
23-02-2006, 12:01 PM
Horrie welcome aboard. Great rig. Always wanted a moke when I was a kid. It makes the boat look like a 6 metre.

my grandfather once told me to marry a girl with small hands I guess the same can be said for small cars ;D

Alex

MulletMan
23-02-2006, 12:07 PM
Is there a safety chain holding the boat on as well as the winch cable?
Can't spot it with my fading eyesight, if not, good idea to get one!!
Looks a "cute" outfit for tooling about the protected parts of the Bay.

mickstar001
23-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Horrie looks a bit like my situation - i have a suzuki sierra and tow a 4.5 metre Tinny with a 40hp - Must look funny bit like yours but hey if they do the job all the better for us. Best of luck with the fishing where are you at?

Fishin_Dan
23-02-2006, 02:20 PM
Is there a safety chain holding the boat on as well as the winch cable?
Can't spot it with my fading eyesight, if not, good idea to get one!!
Looks a "cute" outfit for tooling about the protected parts of the Bay.

It looks like there is one that runs in line with the brickwork at the edge of the garage door, and joins to the winch post up slightly from the spare wheel...

joey_1987
23-02-2006, 03:01 PM
Here is the chain made clear to be seen. Joey.

Pwoida
23-02-2006, 04:17 PM
With the name on the trailer being 'safety launch' I'd be hoping it'd have a saftey chain. Nice setup by the way Horrie.

2iar
23-02-2006, 04:35 PM
That's a top little rig mate. Welcome aboard.

Where do you plan to do your fishing?

Good luck,
Mike

Bosunsmate
23-02-2006, 04:57 PM
Welcome to the site, great looking rig Horrie, good lookin moke as well.

I have the same question as others, which part of Gods Country do you plan fishing..I assume you are in Queensland or N.T. if you have a moke.... ;) the south of the country is too bloody cold.

peterreb
23-02-2006, 05:34 PM
Welcome Horrie,you will glean a lot of information here :)

Horrie
27-02-2006, 06:43 PM
Thanks to everyone for their welcoming messages and questions.
I live near Cleveland QLD and use Victoria Point ramp.
Also a new member of VMRVP.
Best wishes to all.

Horrie

finga64
28-02-2006, 06:05 AM
Welcome horrie :)

Those mokes are absolutely amasing.
We used to take one up the beach all the time in the 70's early 80's
Must be hard to get one in as good a nick as yours matey.
Good to see a decent cage been installed as well
My mate had one and it had a full hard top on it. Sliding doors and everything
Might see you down that way oneday. At least you'll be easy to recognise :)
Cheers Scott

ahoj
28-02-2006, 02:59 PM
I like your setup--- Enjoy and welcome to Ausfish chat

Ahoj

Eagle
01-03-2006, 12:24 PM
G'day Horrie
I love your Moke, I was tempted to buy one that was for sale up here near Yeppoon. I notice that the safety chain is fitted so that it hangs verticly down to the point of attachment. I suggest that this is not a good idea. If for some horrible reason the winch cable / strap broke, the boat would slide back the length of the cable. My guess would be about 350 to 400mm. judging from the photo. This would not do any good to your boat or motor and could cause conciderable damage to your pride and joy.
I would buy an 8mm or 10mm (a better choice) "U" bolt and fit it to the horizontal part of the winch mounting plate. It looks like it might be a piece of channel or 75 x 50 RHS in the photo. The U bolt can be mounted with 4 nuts and 4 washers. Fit the chain to the U bolt so the chain is horizontal with only about 50 to 75 mm slack in it when fastened to the boat. This way, the boat cant slide backwards more than the amount of slack and be damaged. If the boat were to move back the length of chain as shown, it could also upset the balance of the rig and create a dangerous and uncontrolable sway of the trailer. This very thing happened to my father when I was 17 years old. It almost cost us our new boat.
Enjoy the boating and fishing, great to see you on line.

Eagle