PDA

View Full Version : Blaze's boat (for those that asked)

blaze
27-02-2006, 07:00 AM
I need to replace my monitor as these pics appear very dark, hope they work

blaze
27-02-2006, 07:01 AM
from the rear, unloading after the first trip with blood

blaze
27-02-2006, 07:02 AM
a side shot between the bushes

Mad-One
27-02-2006, 07:09 AM
nah i think your camera skills need more work :) not enough light.
By the way how come it's not raining ;D

cheers phil

blaze
27-02-2006, 08:23 AM
Hi phil
funny ya say that as I looked on my wifes system and its no where near as dark, the brightness is at 100% and its still dark.
cheers
blaze

seabug
27-02-2006, 09:55 AM
Hi Blaze,
Good to see you are back on the water.

Surely your fibreglassing skills do not need hiding in the dark ;) ;) ;D ;D

Hope you have better luck with the fishing than the camera. ;D ;D

Looks great,some pics taken at midday may come out better

Congratulations on doing it yourself,must give you lots of satifaction to see it now.

Regards
Seabug

dnej
27-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Blaze, if your camera is automatic,it is adjusting to the brightest part of the picture, that is the sky.

That makes the subject dark. Put your camera on flash over ride, and that will fix that.
Dont set it on auto flash, as it may tell you you dont need to use the flash, as there is sufficient light..
(Gees, I hope I am not telling you how to suck eggs.) Knowing my luck, you are probably a pro photographer.
David

blaze
27-02-2006, 10:51 AM
how dark is it, reason for asking is that some one in Kev's post mention about the shiney prop, well in that pic I cant see the prop on my monitor. Thats what got me looking and trying to adjust my brightness on my monitor which is at 100%. When I look at these pics on my wifes computer (next to mine in the office), they are slightly dark but can certaily see a lot more detail in the darker parts of the pictures than on my monitor.
I wonder how many people see what on there monitors compared to others.
cheers
blaze

flatstrap
27-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Hi Blaze,
Fixed your pix via Photoshop. Took less than 30 secs.
Cheers Flatstrap

flatstrap
27-02-2006, 11:19 AM
ditto,,,

bidkev
27-02-2006, 11:20 AM
Blaze, I'm guessing you've got a metering problem there. Most modern cameras would average out the light as the manufacturers factor in allowances for the brighteness of the sky. If it's got different automatic metering modes, try a shot set at landscape which allows greater metering compensation as it is programmed to allow for sky. If it's got spot metering mode, try pointing it at something that's equivalent to 18% grey such as grass.

It's definately under-exposing the dark areas but to be honest, in the shot of the boat in the street, the sky looks spot on. If you over exposed to get the detail in the boat, then the sky would be washed out. In the other shot, the sky and that white shed would definately fool most meters. It's not your monitor mate.

Was this taken on film or digi? If film, the high contrast of the light and shadow would not be handled properly and even digi doesn't cope all too good. In that kind of light, fill in flash is the option or wait till the light is "flat" ie cloudy and overcast. A cloudy day is always the best for showing detail in dark areas. If that doesn't solve it, then your metering system is definately buggered, I would say.

This is a simplistic explanation and I could talk at length about bracketing, exposure compensation etc, but the fact that the sky seems properly exposed leads me to believe that it could be more than just a high contrast situation.........that is, if your camera is a half-way decent one.

kev

Happiness is what happens to us when we try to make someone else happy.

bidkev
27-02-2006, 11:29 AM
Hi Blaze,
Fixed your pix via Photoshop. Took less than 30 secs.
Cheers Flatstrap

Mate, this is not a criticism, 'cause you;'ve taken the time to try and help Blaze out, but just via way of explanation.

It is more acceptable yes, but it isn't fixed. In lightening the picture to obtain the detail that was originally dark, the colours become washed out and the sky is "over-exposed".

A better understanding of getting it right when you press the button should be the real goal, not just pointing and shooting and hoping that it can be corrected later, although that does have a role as you have proven, but only "after the fact" If you know what I mean. If pictures aren't coming out right, then it needs to be investigated, not doctored.

Again, I'm not criticising, but simply trying to emphasise that there is a problem that needs correcting "at source"

kev

Great minds ... discuss ideas.
Average minds ... discuss events.
Small minds ... discuss people.

flatstrap
27-02-2006, 11:54 AM
Kingtin,
I fully understand what you're saying. My purpose in 'fixing' the shots was to see the detail better and not to instruct Blaze on his style of photography. In a post photo situation, the only thing that I have to work with is a digital file, in the manner it was shot.
Cheers..flatstrap

blaze
27-02-2006, 12:04 PM
The camera I am using is OLYMPUS CAMEDIA SLR Digital 1.4 megapixcs, The camera would be at least 5 years old now.
I wasnt really commenting on how dark the pics were but on how dark they were on my monitor.
They are still not extra bright on my wifes system but can see detail below the gunnel rubber.
They were taken with the flash on manual on a bright clear morning (apart from the one from the rear)
Because of the light exposure system on the camera (old technolgy) the camera wont even take a pic unless the light/focus is take from a lighter point, in this case the brightness of the top deck which in turn dosnt allow for the darker below gunnel rubber to be clear.
So If you guys are seeing whats on my wifes monitor, well I was happier enough with that for an old digital camera.
If you are seeing what I am seeing on my monitor either turn up your brightness/contrast or do what I am and get a new monitor.
I dont ever play with my pics in photoshop for personel use (have done for clients), just cant be bothered
Kev
definanly got a problem with my monitor, didnt realise how much till I open both monitors together with the same screen side by side.
cheers
blaze

snappa
27-02-2006, 12:14 PM
thats one black hull ;D

flatstrap
27-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Kingtin,
I fully understand what you're saying. My purpose in 'fixing' the shots was to see the detail better and not to instruct Blaze on his style of photography. In a post photo situation, the only thing that I have to work with is a digital file, in the manner it was shot.
Cheers..flatstrap

DALEPRICE
27-02-2006, 04:07 PM
go the black donks blaze !!!!!

88fishframe
27-02-2006, 04:57 PM
Blaze, it appears to me, according to all the helpers out there, that you should reduce your fishing time and attend photography classes instead ;D

p.s. the photos looked ok to me considering they have to be compressed so much to put them on the site to begin with

deb
27-02-2006, 06:21 PM
came up fine on my ancient ast monitor :)

charleville
27-02-2006, 07:46 PM
A very nice looking boat. :) :) :) :)

You should be very proud of her. :)

Figjamm
27-02-2006, 08:17 PM
Looks great blaze :)

Ross says the hull definitely looks like a Hartley, but he's not sure about the cabin.... windows are the same shape but the rake on the frames looks different.

Many moons ago, when Ross was just a lad, his dad built himself a 15" Hartley, helped his brother build a 16 footer and also helped another couple of chaps build 28 footers.

noluck
27-02-2006, 09:10 PM
blaze
nice boat mate [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
u did top job [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
cheers no_luck

88fishframe
27-02-2006, 09:29 PM
colacgirl,

Sitting next to me is an original book - "Hartley, New Deep Vee Boat Building". Price : 19'6. It was given to my grandfather [passed away a couple of years ago] after he built his own boat based on a Hartley and entered it in a Qld boat building competition. I believe he came second or third behind John [I think] Haines and won two lifejackets which he gave to me a few years ago.

Lovely book written by Richard Hartley, New Zealand based on wooden construction techniques.

blaze
27-02-2006, 09:46 PM
I am led to believe that a lot of the early haines etc were built off the hartly design and have been modified from there, some only marginly on the hull with new top decks the major change in boat design
cheers
blaze

Figjamm
28-02-2006, 10:09 AM
Sitting next to me is an original book - "Hartley, New Deep Vee Boat Building". Price : 19'6. It was given to my grandfather [passed away a couple of years ago] after he built his own boat based on a Hartley and entered it in a Qld boat building competition. I believe he came second or third behind John [I think] Haines and won two lifejackets which he gave to me a few years ago.

Lovely book written by Richard Hartley, New Zealand based on wooden construction techniques.

So how's the rake looking on Blaze's cabin near the windows?

Ross mentioned that his dad got the plans from a book or magazine.... probably still in his possesion as the older generation rarely part with anything.

Did your grandfather continue with his boat building after the competition?

--
Bev

88fishframe
28-02-2006, 11:45 AM
colacgirl,

No he didn't continue with the boat building. He was a fitter and turner by trade and came over to Australia after the war from Germany where he was a pilot in the Luftwaffe. Flew everything right up to the first jets where his job was to sneak them out of Berlin in the final days of the war.

All his war memorabilia was detroyed because of retribution fears when they arrived in Australia. His first passion was planes but being a typical German spent his life perfecting absolutely anything he could get his hands on.

The windsceen on blaze's boat is very Hartley'ish, from what I can see in my book. Blaze's is a more modernized version by the basics seem the same. HAVE WE COME VERY FAR FROM THE ORIGINAL DESIGNS? I don't think we neccessarily have. For example, a 14'6" 20 degree deep vee with a 90hp mercury in my book [circa 1950's] = 45 mph. Did they have twin motor set ups? Yes, according to my pictures !! Contruction techniques - based on the same ones 100 years ago and already talking about plastics even then. At the time the major advances were light woods like ply, fibreglassess and advanced glues rather than copper nails. In some respects we have come a long way, but looking at the basics they seem very similar.

David

Trekka273
28-02-2006, 02:09 PM
My dad built a Hartley 22' cruiser years ago, and I spent countless hours out in it fishing. It was a great boat. I think he privately spews that he sold it now. The boats biggest problem was its motor/stern drive combination, which was a cheap item as that was all he could afford at the time. He sold it so that he could then build a 30' steel Boro motor sailer.
But, looking at the pictures, the hull certainly has the look of a Hartley, especially around the front. As mentioned, the windows look different, but I guess you could put that down to the builder installing something a little different.

Figjamm
01-03-2006, 09:19 AM
No he didn't continue with the boat building. <snip> His first passion was planes but being a typical German spent his life perfecting absolutely anything he could get his hands on.

AHA [smiley=lamp.gif] thought my hubby and father-in-law were just fussy about how they did things, but perhaps it is hereditary!

The windsceen on blaze's boat is very Hartley'ish, from what I can see in my book.

Yes, Ross thought it looked hartley'ish, just more rake to it.... wondered if maybe it was altered slightly to help it come out of the mould.

PeterT
01-03-2006, 10:49 AM
I wish you many happy hours afloat and bountiful fishing Blaze. Nice boat.

pete

blaze
01-03-2006, 11:40 AM
For those that have commented on screen profile etc
I have move the whole cab foward 500mm, just cut off , moved foward and glassed back on.
the second tier (for want of a better descibtion), the top of that is about where the original screen sat, so I mould up that piece to add hieght and for a place to keep my electronics out of the sun/weather. Then built the new screen and sat on top. Looks a bit boxy at the rear but looks fine when the clears are on the side.
cheers
blaze

simonm
01-03-2006, 12:37 PM
That's a lot of work now put into that boat!! Good to see you have managed to get back on the water.

ambo
02-03-2006, 09:46 PM
hi guys ive just bought my first boat a 5.6mtr swiftcraft with a 150hp johnson id like to hear from anyone what they think of this boat

ive done a fair bit of fishing on others boats and to me its a great boat although likes the fuel im only venturing out to murphies and the kneerings so far still finding my way with the boat

love to here any feedback

i payed $7200 for her but needed to spend 1200 on trailer

everything else seems good

ray sunshine coast

SCOTTYGC
03-03-2006, 09:52 AM
they are a little dark blaze
you should wait untill the sun comes out down there next time before taking any pics mate

but i guess we cant for that one day ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

great job mate

go get em

scotty