PDA

View Full Version : Transom Repairs - Any good recommendations?

roz
01-03-2006, 08:42 PM
I may need to have some work done to my VC, it has already had a transom repair, quite common for those seafarers unfortunately.

The floor shows no sign of being spongey, but because of it's age I think it would pay to have it checked out sometime in the near future.

Anyone out there know of a reliable repairer.... I will contact seafarer to see if they undertake repairs (if needed) but I want some other options.

BTW this is not urgent.

cheers Roz

roz
01-03-2006, 08:47 PM
VC3

Fishin_Dan
01-03-2006, 09:20 PM
That's no good to hear Roz... Hope it all works out ok for ya!

Do you have inspection hatches in your floor? Can you see the condition of the "under floor" area? Where is the transom soft? Did it come from the top down, or bottom up?

It seems to 3 places that transom rot comes from is bung holes unsealed, motor bolts unsealed, or the top of the transom (Under the metal trimming) not being sealed... At least this is the information I've gathered from all the research for my boat... :-[

Maybe you should do it yourself, and we can get another rebuild thread going! ;) Although yours would be the most colourful!!! ;D ;D ;D

blaze
01-03-2006, 09:22 PM
Hi Roz
I will send you the overalls, I cant quite see a project coming up here but you never Know.
Wouldnt it be nice if ausfishers could get together and do these sorts of jobs for each other, barbi and a beer at the end of the day.
Interesting to see what quotes you get roz.
cheers
blaze

davo
01-03-2006, 09:31 PM
A young bloke at work had the same thing at at the end of the day fixed it himself and probably did a better job because of the care taken.

Check out the net and even TAFE for info on glass boat repairs. I know some boating mags have had features too.

bigbrian47
01-03-2006, 09:52 PM
roz when i got my viking done the combing was cut through about 2ft forward of the outboard well.
@ rear section of combing including outboard well removed in one piece
then transom/floor /stringers were cut/ground out leaving the outer skin intact
then 3 sheets of marine ply were individually glassed to full transom configuration
new stringers and floor replaced
i've no doubt it's stronger than new
i think if the transom's suss the stringers would be too
cheers brian

Grand_Marlin
01-03-2006, 09:59 PM
G'Day Roz,

Does it definitely need another repair?

In Brisbane, you are looking at somewhere between $1500 and $2000 + to replace a full transom, and similar for a floor.

It is a major job, and if done at all, needs doing properly.

Are you still on holidays?

If you are travelling back from 1770, I dont mind checking the transom and floor out for you, on your way through Brisbane.

Maybe we could respray the VC in hot pink... just to be different !

Cheers

Pete
(Valet Boat Services)

roz
02-03-2006, 12:25 PM
Maybe we could respray the VC in hot pink... just to be different !

Cheers

Pete
(Valet Boat Services)

Not in my life time Pete!!!! Not many VCs around in three colours, and its going to stay that way.

I am almost 99% sure the transom is solid as, but would like an opinion of the area around the well for the fuel tank.

If it can hang out for a few more years, I would have it done when its time to flick off the old motor and on with a new one. But that may not be the case.

I will be towing the boat back from Agnes around the 16 or 17th of march. I will PM you. Thanks.

Blaze & Dan,

Yep! We could plan a BBQ along those lines, it would be like a three ringed circus if I did the work on the transom. I am sure the photos would be very entertaining.

Spaniard_King
02-03-2006, 04:33 PM
Roz,

There is a guy located in Burleigh who has done some transom work (on VC's)and hull work for me and a few mates. he actually does the glass work on the formula racing boats so he knows what hes doin. I will have to dig his number up for you ::)

he's not a fan of John Howard ;) if ya know what I mean.

Garry

Spectre
02-03-2006, 09:12 PM
HI Roz

Not surewhere u are......but Arnolds Fibreglass at Hemmant, Bris
come highly recommended.
They are not cheap (if any work needs to done ie.)....but if you want a good job done on the trusty VC it may be worth it.

Cheers
Phil

Boz
02-03-2006, 11:25 PM
Hey Roz,
havn't had the pleasure of needing someone to rebuild my transom yet, but have seen pics of grand marlins work, and honestly if i had to have my Haines repaired he would definitely be up for a quote...
check out the pics in the for sale section.

Boz

roz
03-03-2006, 02:08 PM
Garry,

I know exactly what you mean ;) and I am taking note of all the recomendations. Thanks heaps.

Phill,

Thankyou for the recommendation, and I don't mind paying for good quality work.

Roz

roz
03-03-2006, 02:11 PM
Boz,

I have contacted Pete, and with a bit of luck I will be seeing him on my way back from Agnes (with boat in tow) later this month.

regards Roz