PDA

View Full Version : new boat owner 1st one

ambo
02-03-2006, 10:00 PM
hi guys have had my first boat now since nov 2005 i would appreciate feedback on what i bought

its a swiftcraft f glass cuddy cab 18ft 150 hp johnson

ive been going out here on the sunshine coast to the close in reefs but hope to venture out further with more experience

would appreciate any feedback good or bad from experienced boaties out there

ray sunshine coast

TonyM
03-03-2006, 10:15 AM
Hi Ray,

You could certainly do a lot worse than that for your first boat. ;)

I had a 15' Swiftcraft cuddy cab years ago and she was a great little boat. I used to take it out through the heads into broken bay providing the weather was reasonable, and it was quite capable. As always your expereince plays a big part, and heading out with mates that have more experience is always a great way to push your comfort zone a bit.

If you are venturing out further it pays to be fussy about the condition of the motor and rig as it's a long swim back.

Make sure you have a good mechanic service the motor regularly, and check the hull periodically for damage.

Being a f/glass boat pay special attention to areas like the transom and floor which is where you can get into big trouble if it goes on you at the wrong time (on the water).

Hope this helps

Grand_Marlin
03-03-2006, 12:31 PM
The 18ft Swiftcraft is an excellent sea boat.

A friend of mine had one in Tassie, and used to fish some pretty terrible weather with no problems.

You are being sensible by fishing in close and learning before you venture out wide.

You have a boat that is more than capable of fishing the barwon banks.

Always check your forecast.

When venturing out wide, try and be in the company of another boat.

There are plenty of peple on here that regularly fish the banks, and I am sure would not mind if you tagged along.

Cheers

Pete

ambo
03-03-2006, 05:49 PM
thanks for the advice guys . the boat has had new floor and transom done a while ago i havent had it serviced as yet but craig from caloundra out boards checked it over for me . he was recomended by a mate seems to run fine so far