PDA

View Full Version : Poycraft 4.1 Challenger

wobbygone
05-03-2006, 06:19 AM
I am keen to hear form anyone who can report on the 4.1 challenger poly.
I had a short run in one up at Monduran dam a few weeks ago, and was impressed with the ride. As I have a spinal condition, ride and stability are important to me. The boat I went for a run in had a 20 HP Yammy on the back and seemed to plane and handle well. Any info on how they tow and how they load and unload off the trailer would be great. I will need to fit an electric winch to assist me to load at the ramp, any ideas? I am selling my 4.3 savage but intend keeping my 30 HP Tohatsu and Riptide 40 transom mount for now. Down the track I will get a bowmount electric.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Wobbygone :)

Tony_N
05-03-2006, 06:57 AM
I get mine this week. #I was thinking of getting an electric winch put on mine and was advised NOT to buy one of the $100 odd Chinese ones from Super Cheap - it seems they don't last.. #I was further advised that they are very easy to get on and off and that a winch wasn't necessary. #So I've put that off for now to see if I can easily handle it first.

I haven't used the boat yet so #with my knowlege so far the best piece of advice I can give is to get it set up by somebody that knows Polys. #I didn't take this advice when it was given and I have made some (correctable) mistakes.

Mine is a tiller steer to give me maximum room to operate crab nets . #This puts the operator, the motor (mine is a relatively heavy 40HP 4 stroke), the battery (In my case 2 batteries) and the 25 litre fuel tank at the back of the boat.
This makes the boat far too bum heavy and mine just would not sit down at the bow and would porpoise badly. I think maybe they all need the addition of a hydrofoil and I need to get some weight forward as well. #I'll put a 2nd fuel line in to store the fuel tank up front when there is only one person in the boat - I think it will be OK at the back when I have a 2nd person sitting up front.

I reckon they are probably a better balanced boat #if set up as a side or centre console. #I have seen one set up with the battery and fuel tank under an extended shelf coming back from the front casting deck( www.polycraft.com.au/downloads/pdf/410_Tiller.pdf ) and I might even do that if I am not happy with how it sits after the current #modifications are made.

Sorry - this hasn't answered your question, but I had to get this off my chest (its always a worry when your new boat isn't working) and there may be something useful for you in there.

cheers

Tony

PS siccaflex will not stick to a poly. A special adhesive is required - I have its name somewhere if you need it

billfisher
05-03-2006, 07:38 AM
I have had mine for nealy a year and am very happy with it. Its a tiller model and has got a 30 hp two stroke on it. No problem with porposing so long as its trimed correctly (second last notch in). This is with me, a battery and 25L fuel tank at the back and nothing at the front.
Its easy to launch and retrieve though it has got a bit of weight in it. It can require a decent shove to push it off the trailer. I found its easier to push the bow up (rather than out) and let gravity pull the boat off. It also helps if you spray the skids with lanolin or innox.
Note if you put your 30 hp on it must be a long shaft.

Tony_N
05-03-2006, 07:54 AM
billfisher

Does that motor setting put your cavity plate level with the bottom of the boat(not keel) or is it higher? and does yours have a foil?

Tony

billfisher
05-03-2006, 08:07 AM
Tony N,

I'm talking about the trim angle setting. It does not affect the height of the motor. Note thay my 30 only weighs 56 kg, your 40 4s would be considerably heavier. #
I don't have foil, its definitely not needed on my set up.

wobbygone
05-03-2006, 08:53 AM
Tony and Billfisher,
Thanks heaps for the replies. Tony, the 4.1 I had a run in at Monduran only had a 20 HP on the back. With myself in the front(95 KG) plus a 50Kg rotty dog she planed easy and rode fine into a small chop. I hope it is only weight distrubition and your problem can be easy fixed.
As for the electric winches and loading I will wait to see how you go. If you keep me posted on this post , that would be great. I have got a few years to a wheelchair so the winch issue can wait a while. I have also taken on fly fishing and I am hoping the 4.1 will be a good choice.

Cheers
Wobbygone ;)

billfisher
05-03-2006, 09:28 AM
Woobygone,

Did you know you can use as transom mount as a bow mount? All you have to do is reverse the handle and get a bracket made up for it to clamp on. It helps if you get and extension handle for the tiller.

Tony_N
05-03-2006, 09:53 AM
Tony N,

I'm talking about the trim angle setting. It does not affect the height of the motor. Note thay my 30 only weighs 56 kg, your 40 4s would be considerably heavier. #
I don't have foil, its definitely not needed on my set up.

Oh I see - thanks billfisher - mine is electric trim and tilt, but without a foil and with all that weight, even when it was #fully trimmed in, it bucked . #I had a few worrying moments at first, but I'm now relaxed about the problems being solveable.

cheers

Tony

As for the electric winches and loading I will wait to see how you go. If you keep me posted on this post , that would be great. I have got a few years to a wheelchair so the winch issue can wait a while. I have also taken on fly fishing and I am hoping the 4.1 will be a good choice.

Cheers
Wobbygone ;)

Wobbygone

Not sure how soon I'll get it in the water- the river is very flooded just now and I'm going to Townsville to catch trout and tuna and stuff in a couple of weeks. So it could be more than a month!!! So if I forget, please feel free to PM me

Might be worthwhile getting a test run in one from the agent and asking him if you can do the launching/retrieving - then you will be able to see how your current condition can cope with it. The hull is more than 2x the weight of an equivalent sized tinnie (260 kg as against approx 110 I think)

cheers

Tony

wobbygone
05-03-2006, 10:42 AM
Tony,
I might contact Polycraft in bundy and see if any of there dealers are planing any open days. I spoke to my local dealer here on the south side of brissy but no go for a test run according to there sales rep.
I have spoken with the polycraft rep in bundy, and he seems like a top bloke.
Mate, hope you have a ##### time in Townsvile . I will catch up when you get back.
Sea u in the soup,
Wobbygone

The_Walrus
05-03-2006, 10:53 AM
Try Martin Marine in Hervey Bay.

They may be able to help you with a test run and from previous posts on this site they're prices are very competitive.

Luc