PDA

View Full Version : Ethanol in 2 strokes?

Tunzafun
04-03-2006, 07:57 PM
Guys this has probably been discussed to death but as I am a fairly new member, I haven't seen the thread and I can't find it in a search.

I have a new 115 hp Mercury. My thoughts are stick to premium unleaded for best results but?????

Does it make a difference?

ahoj
04-03-2006, 08:14 PM
The OIL companies are not interested and the boat and motor manuf are not going to to take any risks.. bit early for conversions have to wait for petrol to get to 80-90$ barrel by that time we may get the atomic motors before ethanol lol ;D ;D
Best to go slow in motor size and speed
Ahoj

Spaniard_King
04-03-2006, 09:36 PM
Just buy She ll they claim to be ethanol free ATM

Garry

marco
05-03-2006, 07:49 AM
www.coastguard.com.au

billfisher
05-03-2006, 07:55 AM
Marco,

I haven't heard that. I thought the ethanol was supposed to disperse the water. Thats why people recommend adding a bottle of metho (mostly ethanol) to you fuel tank to clear up (disperse) water contamination.

marco
05-03-2006, 08:20 AM

ShaneJ
05-03-2006, 08:59 AM
Ethanol doesn't not attract water at all! What ethanol does however is mix with the water so well that your water seperater will not work.
The reason for adding metho to your fuel is that the metho will mix with the water and it will safely compress enough to not damage your engine during combustion!
Saying that, if you have a fuel with 10% ethanol blend and it obsorbs another 5% water, you are very likely to do serious damage to your engine.

So my thoughts on it all: Ethanol blend fuels are perfectly ok for your outboard if you fill the tank before your trip and then empty the tank afterwards ready for new fuel next time.

The_Walrus
05-03-2006, 11:09 AM
Like ShaneJ said,

The problem with E10 fuel is not the use it, it's the storage.

Buy it, use it and any left over put into your car fuel tank (as long the car is OK to use it).

I would not store ethanol blended fuel for extended periods.

I run a 25/4 yammie and if it's more than a couple of weeks between trips, I empty the boat fuel into my ute's tank.

That way the fuel for my boat is always fresh.

Luc

finga64
07-03-2006, 07:27 PM
I just got a 15hp Honda. They can take 10% ethanol according to the book I got with mine :)