PDA

View Full Version : ETEC 115-Anyone hangin out?

malp
23-02-2006, 10:01 AM
Is there anyone else out there that is hangin out for the ETEC 115HP's to arrive in Aus. Apparently they arrive at the end of Feb. I'm in the market for this size and currently doing the homework. 2st or 4. Leaning towards the ETEC at this stage for the power and low service costs. Bit worried about the new configuration (V4). Same technology but new block. It will be going on a 5.25m Stacer C/console. Any comments would be appreciated.

Sportfish_5
23-02-2006, 10:17 AM
I was very interested in the 130 ETEC but did not want to wait 12 months for release. Went with the DF140 Suzi and could not be happier with the engine - they are the best in their class without doubt. Try and and some horror stories on them in any forums and you will come up empty - virtually bullet-proof with PMs carried out.

Glad I didnt wait cause I dont believe Bomb are any closer to releasing the 130 and have dropped all press from the web site. If I was still looking for a new donk they would be right up there but I really think I would rather be first to be second to own one and just see how they go in the V4 format.

Cheers

Greg

88fishframe
23-02-2006, 10:48 AM
Done my own research and steering clear of the high pressure injected e-tec.

I'm waiting though, for the low pressure injected tohatsu tldi 115.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Az
23-02-2006, 11:04 AM
Done my own research and steering clear of the high pressure injected e-tec.

I'm waiting though, for the low pressure injected tohatsu tldi 115.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

on what basis? I would have thought fuel economy wist the tohatsu would be the worst?

craigie
23-02-2006, 11:38 AM
Guy's,

Don't discard the 115 Merc Opti !!

Very happy with mine. almost 400 hours in 2 years and going strong !!

Greg,

I'm a big fan of the 140 Suzi/Johno as well.
Amazing fuel economy !!

Cheers
Craigie.

malp
23-02-2006, 11:44 AM
Yeah,
I have heard good reports on the Suzi's. A mate has just fitted 2 x 140's and he is very happy. I've looked at them aswell. The services on the suzi's aren't as expensive as the yammies either.

88fishframe
23-02-2006, 01:00 PM
Az, the fuel economy is fine - it is an efi after all.

I, like a lot of people, love the suzie efi's. The reason for going e-tec, optimax, tldi ect ... is the weight issue. The 2 stroke injected motors are lighter.

88fishframe
23-02-2006, 01:02 PM
Az, forgot to mention - my reasons for the tldi over the e-tec are first hand problems my mate is having with his 90 e-tec. Don't want to speak publicly about it and get into any fights or trouble. Just feel more comfortable going the tldi or optimax way because of it.

malp
23-02-2006, 01:45 PM
Fishframe,
What sort of problems is your mate having with the etec? This is why I posted the original question to find out these things.
Cheers
Malp

88fishframe
23-02-2006, 03:59 PM
You'll need to ring me in person - I sent you a PM.

I have seen other on this site get threatened with defamation actions for stating opinions. Mine is factual but still ............

vertico
23-02-2006, 05:11 PM
had a 90 etec since june 2005
done over 200hrs and over 2500km on it so far
no problems
run the good oil xd 100 and you will use bugger all of it
thanks

malp
24-02-2006, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. Much Appreciated. Although I'm still in a spin as to what to buy. Too many options out there!!!!

peter
25-02-2006, 08:26 AM
I can't comment on the 115 e-tec but I can on the 90 e-tec. I've got 40 hrs on mine and haven't had any trouble with the motor to date. I was torn between getting a 4 stroke or the e-tec for a long while. Even after getting the e-tec I wondered if I made the right decision.
Now, I'm glade I have the e-tec, mainly because of the weight, makes it so easy to get the boat on the trailer. Very responsive, I have it on a 5.25 bowrider, can't imagine going any faster without it being unsafe. Fuel consumption is great also.

I believe all motors are good these days and whatever you buy you will be happy with.

As far as 88fishframe comments in relation to the problems with his mates e-tec, I'd like to hear the problems as well, could help me in the future. This is what this forums for, so people can share their experiences, good and bad.

peter

fishy9999
27-02-2006, 02:35 AM
i got 2 mine are stuffed at a grand total of 125 hours yes like the mad turk buyer beware and as they said on today tonight on channel 7 are warrantys worth the paper there written on but in the end its up only to you to decide i will never buy a new motor on the market again let someone else do the test driving next time.

Boz
27-02-2006, 02:05 PM
Havent as of yet had the pleasure of testing an e-tech but if it were me I would go optimax all the way.
Know of a couple around and heard nothing but good reports about them.
One test I read recently was on a boat of approx 6m with I think a 150 e-tech. It also got a great report, although it was compared to a test with a near identicle boat in very similar condition which used the optimax of the same size and outperformed the e-tech at all rpm, and most importantly used significantly less fuel to do so.

Once again, only what iv'e heard and read, but definitely worth considering!

Boz.

Oldyella
27-02-2006, 02:55 PM
I'll stick to the old 2 stroke Mercs/Johnno's.. These Oriental jobs are only babies, and haven't been around for long enough to start blowing trumpets. E-tecs and 4 strokes.. I'll wait 10 years and then decide.

tonyp
27-02-2006, 08:13 PM
I have had my 75 E-tec for just over 170 Hours. It was one of the first in the country, It has never failed me once. Start first time every time.

great motor, would buy another one any day.

Every motor will have a shit one built on a friday arvo. I have read some horra stories from YAMMY ,Merc, Honda,

Just go with what you like and hope the shop will help out if something does go wrong. :)

boyzie
08-03-2006, 11:35 AM
ive heard too many bad reports about the etec's for my liking!!! i know a guy who is a guide and his 90 etec blew up with a boat full of clients and had to get towed back to the ramp! stuff that you can have them

Sportfish_5
08-03-2006, 12:15 PM
One way to solve the worry ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

2iar
08-03-2006, 03:59 PM
One way to solve the worry ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Good redundancy there, but he'd have been better off with 3 (or probably only 1 or 2) Suzuki's :D

Good luck,
Mike

phewy
08-03-2006, 07:19 PM
;D Great pic!
And good to see the subordinates where they belong...At the masters side. 8-)

Sportfish_5
08-03-2006, 08:17 PM
Optimax - to get you there quick :o
Yammie - to get you home safely ;) errr actually thats a 300 hp HPDI (tick tock tick tock)
Etec - The kicker in case of water in the fuel (dam Racors) :-X

Mike - good call on the zukes :P

From what I read this guy fitted these engines so he could get OEM prizemoney in each of the catergories he fished in - ::) 8-)

Just jokes ETEC lovers ;) ;D

Cheers

Greg

Angla
09-03-2006, 12:12 AM
I've had the Optimax 135 for 2 years now and it's great on economy. Pushes the 575 outsider great too.

Just noticed I've changed to Gold, Must be spending too much time here, need to go fishing more. Bay Friday

Angla