PDA

View Full Version : Which electric motor for bluefin barracuda 4.5m?

mjc85
08-03-2006, 03:23 PM
Hi i am about to order a new bluefin barracuda 4.5m and am just wondering which brand of bow mount electric is the best if there is such a thing ? Or are they all pretty much as good as each other ? Most of the dealers either have Motorguide or Minnkota?

Also how many pounds thrust would be suitable ?

Mitch

gone_phishin
08-03-2006, 03:40 PM
Hi Mitch,

Minn Kota 55 Riptide Bow mount for my money :) Bought one 2 weeks ago and am stoked. I can operate from the back or the young tacker from the front, which you can't do with the Motorguide.

Have fun!!
Geoff

mjc85
08-03-2006, 04:14 PM
I don't really understand them, but how do you operate from back or front because that sounds handy. Does it come standard like that ?

Dexterity
08-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Mitch,

For a 4.5 hull the minimum lbs you should go for is 55lbs. If you can afford a little more you can jump up to 65 or even 80lbs. The extra thrust will come in very handy on those windy days or strong currents. But this will also change the the amount of batteries you will need, something to consider. Depending on the type of fishing you will be doing( fresh, salt , cast and retrieve, trolling) will also narrow your choices.
The Minn Kota Powerdrives and riptides with Autopilot are great for trolling, because you can point the motor where u want to go engage Autopilot and relax. I have had 2 motors on my 435 hornet, the first a 50lbs MK powerdrive the second is a 80lbs Maxxum. At first I wasn't sure about the Maxxum because it was cable steer but after getting used to it I would never go back. Because most of my fishing is cast and retrieve be it for bass or bream the quick response of the Maxxum is unmatch. If you are going to be on the salt most of the time then the MK Riptide is probably your best option. As for the Motorguides I have never had one so I cannot comment.
Another thing to think about is that MK are covered by BLA and they are pretty good with anything to do with warranty work. Hope this helps.

DX

seatime
08-03-2006, 06:36 PM
Get the biggest you can afford, use it for trolling, and get a battery to match. It could become an auxilary if you blow a prop in the shallows (carry a spare prop). I see from your other post you are setting up an entire rig.

Buy smart the first time and you'll never be left wondering. It is a big investment so do it right and put max hp, max ah, ensure it's all tinned wire (you never know) and max rating. LED nav lights, good quality, brand name everything. You'll be glad you did. It's not that much of an initial expense for the return from having quality gear onboard.
good luck and happy boating.

beatle
09-03-2006, 06:13 AM
I have the Bluefin 4.5m side console Predator fitted up with a Minn Kota 55lb bow mount. I trust you have ordered your boat with the mounting platform fitted by the factory. Make sure you get the minn kota with the longest shaft.Make sure you get a qiuck release bracket. Take care when fitting motor as I found on my Bluefin the front of the boat bulged a little (it curved upwards)and the motor would not slide on until I raised the mounting base up a little. Good luck.