PDA

View Full Version : trailer for 18' sharkcat

seatime
09-03-2006, 08:11 AM
Hello all,

The brother-in-law's trailer has rotted thru, it's pretty much unrepairable and so he needs to build a new one.

How do you go about it from scratch. Welding and cutting aren't a problem, but whats the best way to set it up.
Weight is not too much of a problem as it is towed by a tractor on a 2 km round trip to the ramp and back. We were thinking of heavy gauge C section or I beams. Don't want it too expensive, drive on is handy but not essential with the tractor. It does go underwater all the way when launching and retrieving.

We thought of using the old frame as a template but is there a better registerable type trailer for 18' sharkcats?

Any help would be appreciated as the boat can't be moved too far at present for fear of it breaking in two. thanks Steve.

dfox
09-03-2006, 06:09 PM
Steve, i,d keep it basic. Use the old trailer like you said as a templet, C channels great because its easier to wash and if galvanized outlasts box easily. Dont use rollers, teflon skids are easier to install and work better...

seatime
09-03-2006, 08:32 PM
dfox, you're right about keeping it simple. I'm a big advocate of the KISS principle. The old trailer was oil filled box section. The oil went a couple of years ago, it's had a few repairs, but no more.
The C section is the go but it probably won't get galvanised. Maybe epoxy. thanks for that, Steve