PDA

View Full Version : 90HP E-Tec

Geoff_Atkinson
08-03-2006, 06:10 PM
Now,

I have read a lot of reports on this forum, good and bad about the 90HP E-Tec :D >:(

I have a 90 HP E-Tec, and as yet have not had a problem. There has been a few members who have written on other threads about either them or their mates who appear to have had nothing but trouble with theirs but, when asked about it, are reluctant to air their problems on this forum.

I thought that that is what this forum is all about, other fisherpeople helping out others, sharing experiences in order to help others.

Even though I have an E-tec and am happy with it, it would be great to know what problems people are experiencing with them so that if mine does develop a fault, it might help me identify it before I get stuck 20 miles out on the reef and some poor bugger in the volunteer Coast Guard has to waste his valuable time and mayby even their lives coming out to save me.

Please, if anyone can help with exactly what proplems there are, please post them so others may learn from their experiences.

Thanks,

Geoff

craigie
08-03-2006, 06:32 PM
Geoff,

I am aware of a "Teething " issue with the 90hp E-tech, although it may have been sorted out on more recently sold models :-/.

A work colleague purchased one secondhand with low hours on it. He has had it back to the Brisbane Southside dealer a couple of times to get the computer chip updated.
The engine was locking itself in low revs as if it was overheating, when it wasn't. the rev limiter would lock it in 2000 revs.
He was still able to get himself back to the ramp, just at slow speed.
The whole issue was a bit of a pain in the butt that seems to be sorted out now. Apart from this the owner has been happy with it.

Not sure if others have had the same problem ?

I have read plenty of glowing reports for this engine, so well worth a look when next re-powering.

Cheers
Craigie

Sportfish_5
08-03-2006, 08:30 PM
Guy from my work purchased a new etec 90 for his platey Razorline CC and had exactly the same problem you described Craig. Had it in the shop a couple of times to get fixed and there was some updated oil system parts and an ECM upgrade/update.

Since then it has been flawless and he is rapt in it.

Cheers

Greg

peter
09-03-2006, 10:52 AM
I'm with you Sea Raider, great to get a bit of feedback, I also have the 90 e-tec and have not had problems todate, but am more than greatful when someone places some some factual info regarding the engine on the forum.

Thanks sportsfish_5 and craigie

Peter

dreamer
09-03-2006, 04:23 PM
Good on you Geoff for speaking out and also to those who have replied to this thread.
That's what we want to read about is the facts, the truth. You can't get into trouble speaking the truth but you sure can by embelishing it. You never know, you might save some poor devil a lot of money or a bad experience by speaking up and telling it how it is.

Roy

Gbanger
09-03-2006, 05:06 PM
something tells me the vmr aint going to be able to update your engine management for ya, may be worth investigating if you have the latest version

madman1
09-03-2006, 10:37 PM
You will find with the earlier model 90 Etecs they have suffered with the problems as mentioned earlier. Mine did pretty much the same thing and a few other minor probs like a loose pin in the second piston which only decreased my fuel efficience significantly.

The problem with my EMM is now fixed and the donk purrrrrs like a kitten. The after sales service of the Evinrude techs is second to none.

It is just like buying a Series One Commodore as opposed to a Series Two Commodore. All of the problems are ironed out of the Series Two before its release.

I love my Etec and would definitely get another one no questions asked.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Mark ::)

Sportfish_5
09-03-2006, 10:48 PM
Sorry Mark i should have clarified more but the engine I speak of was new in late September last year so it was not an "old stock" model. In fact the delivery of the boat was delayed waitin for the donk from memory. Goin like a beauty now as I said after the initial problems.

What was the problem with the piston pin ? Are you talking gudgeon pin or a piston ring peg/pin ? Dont like the sound of that :o Minor ::) :-X :'(

Cheers

Greg