PDA

View Full Version : helm position - port or stbd

seatime
12-03-2006, 07:59 AM
Is there a specific reason the helm position on runabouts and the like is on the starboard side?

On some older (30-40 yrs) displacement vessels the helm was on the port side.

Centreline steering is probably best, just wondering if there is a meaning for starboard or it was only practicality as motor vehicles in Aus are right hand drive. Guess you could put it either side, it is personal choice.

Any thoughts?

fish-n-dive
12-03-2006, 08:53 AM
Don't know if there is any rulz on position (probably more a tradition) but for ease of keeping the boat trim (more so in a smaller sized boat), a C/C or similar is the way to go.

Cheers 8-)

Eagle
12-03-2006, 02:53 PM
Hi Gelsec
The reason why the steering is on the starboard side on a runabout and other high speed planing hulls is because of the torque reaction from the prop. If you sit (steer) on the starboard side, your own weight will help to counteract the torque affect and will help to keep the hull level. If you have the steering on the port side, the hull will lean much further to the left and can create problems from drag and can be at times somewhat exciting (dangerous) because of the exacerbated lean to port. A displacement hull is usually a heavy hull and not as high powered. The torque reaction is not as noticeable at any speed so the steering can be placed on the left side or on the center line. Try running with your boat and sit on the starboard side to drive it. It will ride almost level when planing. Now shift to the left side and reach across to the wheel to steer. You will immediately see why the wheel is placed on the starboard side to control the boat, especially when you turn left and then turn to the right. 8-)

Joe / Eagle

seatime
12-03-2006, 03:32 PM
Thanks Eagle, thought there might have been some method behind the madness.
The torque dynamics must apply to tiller steer as well. Don't see right hand tillers. It makes sense, I think, twin screw planning hulls must just follow tradition.
I have noticed a couple of American centre consoles with the wheel on the portside of the console and the remote control in the middle of the console. I thought this might be because their cars are LHD, and they want to be different. cheers for that Joe.

ahoj
12-03-2006, 03:54 PM
Eagle ------Good explanation I always thought it had something to do with water rules but even that don't make sense-- all boats should travel on the starboard side and pass oncoming boats on the port side... that means the right of way is oposite to road rules.. i think

Ahoj

wessel
12-03-2006, 04:25 PM
Would it have something to do with the steering arrangement?

Most outboards steering control rams are situated on the right (starboard) side of the engine. Wouldn't it be easier then to do the rigging for the steering controls by situating the controls on the starboard side of the boat. Having the controls on the left would require possibly more angles to get around and longer lengths of cable etc.

The torque steering is most probably the answer, makes logical sense also.

Wessel

redspeckle
13-03-2006, 05:26 AM
Good explanation their Eagle [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
I also thought have steering on starboard side so and keep eye on water tail tale with water coming out of it, where comes out of the motor its on starboard side too
Tats where have back stern light install on some side so see it working of night time as well

Mitch
Go The Cowboys in 2006

Grand_Marlin
13-03-2006, 06:22 AM
There is something in the "rules" or "implied rules" that says the steering should be on the Port side (left side)
Maybe to do with passing rules - ie Port side to Port side ... and therefore driver to driver. (same as cars pass driver to driver no matter where in the world they aree driven, or what side of the road they drive on)
Makes it safer, as the driver has better judgement when closer to the other boat.

I remember this from my schooling years a long time ago... but for the life of me I cant remember what the source of it was.

I do however remember that it had nothing to do with what side of the road you drive your car on.

At the end of the day ... Eagle has the practical idea.

Cheers

Pete

drevil
13-03-2006, 09:17 AM
I could never figure out why American boats also are steered from the right hand side when their cars are left hand drive. Thinking it has something to do with prop rotation makes sense.

unhappyseajaybuyer
13-03-2006, 05:33 PM
go centre