PDA

View Full Version : Possible Leaking Quintrex 480 Freedom Sport

Swerve
12-03-2006, 01:33 PM
All,

Maybe just paranoid, but I'm thinking my 480 Freedom Sport is leaking.

Went for a social run this morning with my parents and partner on smooth water for 3 hours. No water spashed in the boat as it was flat, no wind and I was very slow for the oldies.

Back at the ramp I let the bungs out and about (always looks more than actually is) 2 cups of water came out. Is there any chance this is from washing the boat previoulsy and never actually drained out or is fresh water.

If I was to have a crack, where abouts would it normally be (If there is such a thing about a normal crack) I have heard you guys say put some dye in teh hull and fill her up to look for a external leak.

The boat was bought last Nov and not wishing to knock on teh dealers door untill certain ? Will do some further testin anyway !

Steve

wessel
12-03-2006, 01:59 PM
Just discovered a leak in my boat this weekend.

It would appear that when the engine bracket was installed, one of the bottom bolts was not sealed in properly. I am not so much worried about the small leak, but the fact that the transom is now exposed to water internally and the thing will start to rot down the road.

What I have found on other boats is that sometimes small particles will get caught in the rubber bung causing a little bit of leakage. Forget to put the bung in and you have a big leak ;)

While out boating, did you slow down rapidly at any stage? When the engine wake catches up with the boat you can get a small wave that breaks over the transom?

Others migh have different experience?

Regards

Wessel

coasty
12-03-2006, 07:03 PM
mine was the same problem with the bottom bolts leaking. just took them out and filled it with silicon and as the bolt was pushed in i kept adding silicon and turning the bolt to run it better. no more leaks

uripper
12-03-2006, 09:54 PM
All,

Maybe just paranoid, but I'm thinking my 480 Freedom Sport is leaking.

Back at the ramp I let the bungs out and about (always looks more than actually is) 2 cups of water came out.

Steve

Steve - go stand at any ramp for an hour or so watching boats come out of the water - mate you've got no probs with 2cupfulls - relax & enjoy
Mal M

Angla
12-03-2006, 11:09 PM
Just check it again and monitor the amount of water. It won't wreck the boat in a week or 2.

Angla

Oldyella
13-03-2006, 08:08 AM
My new alloy boat takes on a "few cups". Most likey from around the bungs. It wont sink.. and will do no harm. I just ignore it.

Swerve
13-03-2006, 08:14 AM
All,

Thanks for your advise. It's reasuring that it sounds normal for a few cups.

The bungs always seat properly, but I will make sure they are clean and no grit interupting the rubber seal, also will have a look at the lower engine mount holes.

Normaly we throw a bag of ice in the ski locker and thats drains into the hull, so we cant tell what it ice water or incoming saltwater.

Feel like going for a fish this morning rather then sit here at work on a bloody computer. It's so relaxing on the water !!

Steve

2iar
13-03-2006, 09:32 AM
Also have a look at where your fuel lines/steering cables/transducer cable etc enter the boat from the transom - I reckon that's where I take on most water, normally in rougher weather when waves hit the back.

Also check where your anchor well drains to.

Good luck,
Mike

Argle
13-03-2006, 10:22 AM
I had water appearing in the bilge from "nowhere" and finally traced it to the bilge pump outlet. The water would come in when swell came from side on or if the boat listed over to one side. Fixed this by installing a one way valve in the bilge hose, now she stays nice and dry :)

Cheers and Beers

Scott

unhappyseajaybuyer
13-03-2006, 04:20 PM
try washing with a pressure cleaner from inside while keeping outside dry then u might see the water run from possible entry point

gawby
13-03-2006, 08:55 PM
I wouldnt worry to much about that amount of water. You def wont sink.
Mine creates a rather large leak every now and then when i forgat to put the bungs in. More than 2 cups of water comes out then.
After washing the boat at s.port and going home it goes in the shed. When pulled out and drive up the driveway water always comes out from what has settled when stored.
Graeme