PDA

View Full Version : YES..... new boat

IcemanII
10-03-2006, 09:45 AM
Just got my 1st real boat,

I had a Quintrex estuary angular with a Yamaha 50hp however discovered the first time I went to Cape Morton that it probably shouldn't be there although was very fast on smooth water, I was a little disappointed as I wanted to get to some of the fishing spots around the top of Morton and further out but it wasnt the boat, had it for 3 years with no problems and it was a fantastic boat in the right conditions, Recently we had another baby and wife said maybe I needed to get a bigger boat... YES !!! ....took me 48 hours to have a new boat parked in the driveway.

Still decking it out, have installed Navman sounder, GPS, VHF and trim tabs. Next will be the rod holders ! and 2nd battery.

Made by Fi-Glass in NZ, distributed here by Mercury as part of the Quicksilver range overall length is 6.4M supplied with a Mercruiser 220HP MPI, package including trailer was around $42K, seemed a very good price. Very happy with engine for its smooth responsive power and economy, spent 12 hours with engine running hours one day departed Redcliffe toTangalooma then northern Morton trolling and finally home to Redcliffe and only used 120L of fuel for the day. There is also an outboard version with a mercury, think 150hp for around the same price.

At the time I brought it my brother in law was staying and he also brought a new Whittley Sea legend 610 with a Yamaha 150HP 4, we both spent some time in the bay comparing the 2 boats, handling seemed very similar as we compared sharp turns, ability in 1.5M waves and dryness and we concluded that there was no noticeable difference that we could find in their handling ability, side by side out of the water they had a very similar in profile. Speed we never got to compare as both engines as they had 0 hours and we weren't about to hammer them. The Whittley had slightly better fibreglass moulding inside and had rod holders and bait tank but no carpet and only a total of 4 seats, 2 main seats with 2 popup rear facing(almost useless) seats and only cable steering, the Quicksilver had carpet, 7 seats(licensed for 8 passengers) and more available storage and power assisted steering. The Quicksilver also has polyurethane foam under the floor for added buoyancy and klegecell non-rot foam core transom, also no wood construction, it sits very well in the water with the low COG with the sterndrive and very forgiving with the trim.

Have been reading Ausfish to learn what I can from the experienced fishing guys so keep those tips etc coming as they're great.

Argle
10-03-2006, 09:56 AM
Niiice rig Iceman!! leaves the old Quinny for dead hey 8-)
Look forward to seeing some reports from you in the future.

Cheers and Beers

Scott

Alex9797
10-03-2006, 10:07 AM
great rig nice price to.

Alex

seatime
10-03-2006, 10:12 AM
Some boats you can tell just by looking at them that they will ride well.

This is one of those, with the deep V, chines and entry it would be very smooth. You'd need the trim tabs with the low COG and sterndrive, as you say.
And it looks fantastic, congratulations, I'm very jealous.
The price is surprisingly good too. It will cover your needs for fishing and family quite capably.
One question, what's the total towing weight with fuel and trailer. cheers Steve.

MulletMan
10-03-2006, 11:03 AM
Nice looking rig that is!
Could I make a suggestion that when you get the second battery installed, you also buy a Smart Charger that works of 240V? You will never have a flat battery again if you lash out on this device as you can happily leave the batteries connected to house power and the charger will automatically direct the charge to the battery most in need. They invariably have a safety device that prevents overcharging no matter how long it is left on.
I had 2 x 16 platers in my boat that were looking a bit sick after some five years but when I fitted the charger system that continually keeps them topped up, the old mongrels have taken on a second life and that is great as any battery over five years is usually the exception to the rule and ready to be junked.
I have the Whittley Cruisemaster myself and also a great boat but yours look very similar to the Whittley Monteray.
It will look a lot better when you have some pilly guts and squid juice plastered over the Gelcoat and maybe a few dried out bloodworms for added effect!

longtail
10-03-2006, 04:11 PM
nice rig mate , now you start to enjoy the family days out.

see ya at a M&G sometime

cheers
jason

daz35
10-03-2006, 04:36 PM
nice boat mate you should get plenty of enjoyment out of it

Lone_Wolf
10-03-2006, 05:13 PM
Top rig Iceman, the horizon is your limit now. No such thing as rough water now mate!

Baycruiser
10-03-2006, 09:04 PM
Good looking boat.......price sounds fantastic for a boat that size with Mercruiser & I see a set of trim tabs too!! Happy days ahead......

brett_rokesky
10-03-2006, 09:53 PM
very nice!!!

noluck
11-03-2006, 12:40 AM
congratulations and happy boating
cheers no_luck

charleville
11-03-2006, 05:07 AM
Recently we had another baby and wife said maybe I needed to get a bigger boat.

What a nice wife!! ;)

Nice boat! :)

Congratulations (on both!) ;D ;D ;D ;D

catchy_fishy
11-03-2006, 06:56 AM
Recently we had another baby and wife said maybe I needed to get a bigger boat.

What a nice wife!! ;)

Recently I got a boat, and then my wife said we have another baby on the way. #I prefer your story, the shopping for the boat is more fun than prams, cots, etc.

Catchy Fishy

IcemanII
13-03-2006, 09:42 AM
Hi Gelsec, I don't have the weight figures but found a web site saying it was 1870kg on trailer but not sure if it is full fuel. Think I will run it over a weighbridge sometime soon with additional gear that I always carry.
Thanks to everyone for your great comments and pointers ..............

Smithy
13-03-2006, 06:49 PM
Looks the goods and a top price considering it is on a dual axle trailer/bimini/the foam/the construction method and with trim tabs.

philip_thomson
13-03-2006, 07:09 PM
What a top looking boat you bought yourself there. i can see many top weekends coming up for you

2rods
14-03-2006, 08:50 AM
Nice boat.. 8-)

would like my wife to let me get a new boat when we had number 2 but she would rather I sell it :'( :'(

But that ant going to happen ;D

peterreb
14-03-2006, 09:45 AM
Great Boat,many happy family days on the water ahead.

Cheers Peter

simonm
14-03-2006, 09:54 AM
great looking machine and a great sounding price!

2iar
14-03-2006, 02:55 PM
Just got my 1st real boat,

I'll say!

Great looking rig there mate.

Good luck,
Mike

Az
14-03-2006, 04:20 PM
who sells these?

bidkev
14-03-2006, 05:49 PM
Nice rig Iceman and half the price of my whittley Sea Legend 650. I've got the same donk pushing the Whittley and your fuel consumption sounds much better than mine. I average 1km per litre. Enjoy.......

kev

Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

IcemanII
15-03-2006, 08:37 AM
AZ - North Coast boat centre has the range of boats as there are several sizes, this is the manufactures web site ....http://www.fi-glass.co.nz/, will also find info on Merc Australia web site under quicksilver boats.

Kintin - 650 is a very nice boat, I did start to sign up on one but then found out that the one in stock had the 3.9 mercuriser(carby job), the few people I asked all said dont touch it and mentioned things like vapour locks and rough running. Was told if I wanted to wait for another one to be ordered it would probably take some time.

Oldyella
15-03-2006, 09:04 AM
A new baby.. a new 40k boat #:-[ #Connections in the Graphics industry...
You are a not a counterfieter are you ?? ;D ;D ??

15-03-2006, 04:45 PM
That looks fantastic for the price!

Keep us posted with reports...