PDA

View Full Version : All australians run catamarans??

Arlon
15-03-2006, 12:42 AM
For some reason it seems US boaters think all Australians use catamarans? Just from this board, that doesn't seem to be the case. I remember a "show your boat" post awhile back that must have had 50 boat pictures and only 1-2 of them where cats. Are Cats really the dominant power in boating that so many here in the US seem to believe? I would think the cat/mono ratio there is a little more than here but not by the margin most seem to think..

From a post on the hull truth..

RJ640 - 5/31/2005 #11:08 AM
How come people in Australia all have cats and no one in the US does - is it the monohull lobby?

cooky
15-03-2006, 12:15 PM
From what I know (which isn't that much apart from being observant) recreational boating in Australia would be 90% monohull (over 4.5 to 8metres) trailerable size. There are certainly a few cats out there and they're great boats, but majority by far is monohull.

When you start getting into commercial operations like charter boats, etc the ratios would be less.

88fishframe
15-03-2006, 02:04 PM
We're not much different to the US, just smaller scale. Because we are surrounded by water, we probably have a higher commercail fisherman per capita ratio and a lot of the commercial guys use cats. It's probably for that reason you hear a lot about them rather than mono hulls.

:)

Arlon
16-03-2006, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the info. I figured that was the case but wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something. Cooky, if I ever make to Australia, can I go fishing with you? Those are the finest looking little tunas I've seen in a while! :o