PDA

View Full Version : Pride tri hull???

judd
03-03-2006, 08:10 PM
Attached image of my boat - Can anyone help me with some information about 5.6m Pride tri hulls - year of manufacture etc. :)

Grand_Marlin
03-03-2006, 08:31 PM
G'Day Judd,

They were called a cathederal hull. The pre cursor to the tri hull.
Trialled and then sort of forgotten, due to their ride not being as soft as monohulls.
Stability was good though.

From memory I think they were around late 70's ?

I couldnt be certain though.

blaze
03-03-2006, 08:42 PM
I am going to disagree with Pete on the ride not being as good as a mono, I had a pride 4.8 gullwing/trihull or whatever you want to call them and against a simular size mono hull they won hands down (maybe pete wasnt driving it hard enough). I had a 70hp evinrude on my and it never ceased to amaze me. The only thing that p*ssed me off was when slow trolling in a sharp chop was the nose would bury, so I dont like the open screen concept on the above boat.
cheers
blaze

blaze
03-03-2006, 08:43 PM
to add to the above
welcome

Grand_Marlin
03-03-2006, 08:58 PM
Fair enuff Blaze.
I havent been in one in rough stuff... only calm stuff on the bay at St Helens, so only going off what I was told.
I will humbly and graciously retract my statement.

I bet they're not as soft as a cat ;D

Oh yeah... welcome Judd...I didnt see it was your first post.

And watch out for Blaze, he is well known on this site for causing trouble and telling lies ;) ;D ;D :D

Cheers

Pete

Grand_Marlin
03-03-2006, 08:59 PM
Blaze, do you have any info on year of manufacture?

blaze
03-03-2006, 09:49 PM
no mate but I am guessing your about right, what impressed me to buy at the time is that on the plane, flat water they have only the mono tail in the water but when it cuts up a bit you can feel the air entrapment happening in the front end. Ive been known to hammer my old girl through chop 1m high in the mouth of the river (tide one way wind another confused, you know the stuff) at full noise with the 70hp, no idea of speed but when I first took the 20 footer out I have now I thought the ride was campareable.
Aquaries on this site also had one, be nice to hear his recolection a couple of years down the track
its all about perception.
cheers
blaze

Grand_Marlin
04-03-2006, 07:32 AM
G.day Blaze,

Yep, that would be good to hear from others who have them too.

I have only been for one ride in one, so I wouldnt call me experienced in them in the slightest.

The old bloke that had it, told me they were rough to ride in when choppy.

Maybe this was at displacement / slow planing speeds... old blokes dont like going fast, and with no air under the tunnel, would certainly be to the detriment of the ride.

I seem to recall from reading about cathederal hulls, that the concept was not overly accepted by the boating public, simply as it was something new, a new concept that no one knew much about, and therefore didnt embrace it.

That is not to say they werent a good boat.

Cheers

Pete

judd
16-03-2006, 06:17 PM
Sorry to take so long to thank everyone for your responses - I've been busy working on the boat . . . . .
:)

blaze
16-03-2006, 06:21 PM
hi judd
what are you doing to it, I took my screen off and glassed a 200mm ontop and then refitted the screen
cheers
blaze

judd
16-03-2006, 06:30 PM
What started as a transom extension to accommodate a 'new' second hand motor has ended up as a new transom, new floor and I haven't finished yet . . . . . ;)

blaze
16-03-2006, 08:30 PM
more pics required by boat rebuilders
:) :)

ahoj
17-03-2006, 08:34 PM
Just like to ask Merlin-- are trihulls in the same category as Cats? Can we allow JUD to our exclusive club? ;D
lol

Ahoj

blaze
17-03-2006, 09:13 PM
Hi Ahoj
better

blaze
17-03-2006, 09:14 PM
Hi Ahoj
better

Grand_Marlin
18-03-2006, 06:41 AM
It is like this ... if they have wings, they can fly ;D

Welcome to the club Judd !

ahoj
18-03-2006, 04:22 PM
Judd

I noticed your trihull is sitting proudly in the water well balanced-- nice boat-- what are you doing to it??

Ahoj

aquarius
18-03-2006, 10:00 PM
next post

aquarius
18-03-2006, 11:00 PM
Hi Judd, Yep Blaze is correct i once owned a Pride Tri Hull 4.6.
Bought it with a 50 hp force and traded up to a 75 hp merc.
Boy did that boat fly over the chop when at 80% throttle.
Slow speed it dug in but was a very stable boat at rest.
Mine had full length bunks and a canvas canopy.
Just looking at your boat sure brings back memories.
Here's a pic of my( Excuse the pun) "PRIDE & JOY"
Cheers Brent :)