PDA

View Full Version : bow riders

Seahorse
11-03-2006, 08:13 PM
still looking at boats. looked at 525 stacer easyrider, bowrider today. looked great. had 1 with a 90 merc and 1 with 115merc. any experiences by anyone. i am having a good look around. $30000 is a fortune for me and want to get right boat. so if anyone can give me some advise here it would be appreciated. i would lean to the 115hp.

cheers
greg

Scalem
11-03-2006, 08:47 PM
Mate,

Not that I am in the market ( I wish) but I saw a Freedom Bowrider around the 5 mtr mark with a Honda 90 on the back. Very nice rig with low hours - I think it was around 50 hrs. Asking 26K.

PM me if you like, I am not sure I can tell you the dealer where I saw it ( ausfish rules)

Scalem

onerabbit
11-03-2006, 09:18 PM
I have a mate with a 525 bowrider, 90 merc on the back, gets along great, not a bad sea boat, but if it was me I would lean towards more power, just cos you've got it doesn't mean you have to use it all the time, but there are times when its great to know its there if you need it.

Muzz

Seahorse
11-03-2006, 09:25 PM
thanks scalem
iam going to buy new.
iam with you muzz. just dont know when u just might need that little extra.

greg

fishingrod
12-03-2006, 12:12 AM
A dealer in Sydney had a 525 EasyRider BMT package with a 90HP 2 stroke, canopy, regos and safety gear for $25 999 a few weeks ago. It is sold now. It was a special on floor stock only so it was probably a 2005 model (perhaps even a 2004 model?) but you may find other specials around.

BMT = boat motor trailer package incase you still learning the lingo.

It was mentioned to me by the dealer that a new range of Stacers were coming out with "positive boyancy" the same as Quintrex have got. (Quintrex and Stacer are made in the same factory incase you didnt know) A new Stacer model called the 5.19 (??) is coming out too.... So there maybe specials on the old 5.25s.

The Nov/Dec 05 Trailerboat magazine did a short review on the 525 SeaMaster (runabout) with a 75hp 2 stroke. There may be a copy of the test on the boatpoint.com.au website

As i fish offshore, Im always in favour of more power :)

peter
12-03-2006, 08:45 AM
Greg,

I have a 525 Bluefin. Nice boat, what I like about it is that I can stand when I'm steering. In the other bowriders you have to sit. I think you can also stand in the allycraft bowriders. I like to see everything when crossing bars or at top speed, logs and stuff in the water.

I have a 90 on the back which gives me more than enough power ( I also go outside). If I was skiing I'd probably go the 115.

Peter

Seahorse
12-03-2006, 09:13 AM
fishingrod, i saw the 5.19 yesterday at northside marine. lot less room inside with a transom twice as wide as others. couldnt see the benefit. nor could the salesman. 75 on 525 seems bit small?

peter, i will check out the bluefin. where did u get urs from? do u ever get wash or spray over the front?
its extra $1500 for the 115hp. this is going to be a once buy and was thinking whats $1500 when u spend $30000, then u always got the power.
the stacer looked got as they all do i guess. liked the hull with the evo style, or was that just sales talk. it did make sense though. well just keep checking it all out i guess. what brand motor on urs.

cheers
greg

PADDLES
12-03-2006, 09:22 AM
G'day seahorse, we did the bow rider shop around for a few months at the end of last year. From what we could see of the pressed alloy ones, the quintrex had the best stocko fitout followed closely by the stacer. The four seasons ones were good value but still have that stigma attached to them because of their manufacturer (this manufacturer is apparently heaps better these days). Didn't go and have a look at a bluefin but did a bit of internet research and they seemed ok too. The alley craft was good value as well and well fitted out in packages. Had a go in a polycraft 530 and was super impressed but the internal storage was not real good, and with a 90 was seriously underpowered, but this was the pick of the bunch for size vs money and won hands down for the ride, brilliant. The other one that we did a bit of research on but didn't go and look at was the tabs bowrider, it's huge and very good value. All of these boats were ranging in price from the high 20k to the mid 30k price bracket. We wanted something with at least a 115 because we live up the top end of the bay so check the hull ratings in that 5.2m size bracket. Our short list came down to a choice between the poly and the tabs (which we hadn't even looked at). In the end after all the running around we bought a second hand signature 550br with a 135 merc from a good mate who was looking to upgrade, this choice was made because we were reluctant to spend over 30k on our first big boat (we'd only had a 4.2m tinny before this) just in case it wasn't what we wanted and had to flog it to try a different setup ie. half cabin. Good luck mate there's so many choices :-/

peter
12-03-2006, 09:41 AM
Greg,

I've got a 90 e-tec on the back of mine, its been good. Went for the e-tec to get away from 2 stroke fumes. Honestly don't know to much about the Stacer except they are part of Quintrex. Sure to be a great boat also.

I got my set up from a Logan dealer , won't mention the name as their after sales service was crap.

If you have a look at a Bluefin and are fairdinkum interested, I'd be happy to take you for a run in mine.

Peter

Seahorse
12-03-2006, 09:42 AM
thanks paddles. it is a big job and worth the time and effort. iam leaning towards stacer at moment but will look at them all. thought i would get good honest opinions on here rather than listen to salesman. only because iam salesman. ;D

Seahorse
12-03-2006, 01:11 PM
thanks heaps peter. i will be in touch when time gets closer. how does it go when bit choppy. do you get any water over the front. where do you usually go. are they easy to handle.

cheers
greg

Swerve
12-03-2006, 01:38 PM
Hi,

Have the Quinnie 480 Freedom Sport. As they all say go teh highest engine you can ! We have a 70 yammie and with 5 people its a slug getting on the plane. With 2 adults half throttle easy.

The Milenium hhull is great and once planing keeps all water out and teh bow and midships stay dry. Only when doing 6 knots and a splash up front and a head wind does water get in.

Steve

peter
12-03-2006, 02:48 PM
Greg,
Heading into/with chop I don't get any water or spray. I just trim it out with an appropriate speed to get the best possible dry run, if the wind is on the side with about a foot chop you might get some spray (cross wind).

I go out through the pin bar a bit (when conditions suit of course). Find it stable and dry as a 525 can be. Have hit some sizable waves going out the pin and all was fine. No water in the boat. Again, you have to know the boats and your limitations. Always safety first.

I had a 4.75 Allycraft Merc 60 4 stroke before this boat and the reason I sold it was I was sick of getting wet, even in light windy conditions. The Bluefin with its high sides is fantastic compared to the 4.75 alleycraft. Sorry I can't compare it to a Stacer.

I can unload and load her with no problems.

Any other questions just ask, or if you go for a ride you can make your own decision. Get in as many boats as you can before deciding.

peter

Seahorse
12-03-2006, 03:11 PM
thanks peter.
do boats yards normally take you for test runs without to much worry.

cheers
greg

fishingrod
12-03-2006, 08:23 PM
fishingrod, i saw the 5.19 yesterday at northside marine. lot less room inside with a transom twice as wide as others. couldnt see the benefit. nor could the salesman. 75 on 525 seems bit small?
greg

I think they pack all the foam in the sides so you loose the old fashion side pockets and it feels less roomy.

You need to have a run before saying a engine is too small. But yes 75 sounds a bit small.

My ex boss had a 1999 5.7m Haines Champion cuddy with a 115hp and i used to hasstle him that it was underpowered until i went for a ride in it. With 4 people i was very impressed. GPS 36 knots WOT and cruised nicely at 23 knots just over 4000rpm.

PADDLES
12-03-2006, 09:39 PM
Yeah, I reckon the stacer's are a good thing. One of my mates had a stacer dealership up the coast and he reckoned that the 525 was a bit wet, but I think that any bow rider can give ya a bit of a splash sometimes, my signature can be a bit wet at displacment speeds when its a bit rough. By the way my 4.2m tinny that I replaced was a stacer workboat and it was absolutely bulletproof and it got dragged all over the place on fishing missions so I can't complain about the stacer build quality unless it has changed in the last 10 years.

drevil
13-03-2006, 09:06 AM
I am also looking at new bowriders. I saw the new Stacer at northside, but I don't like it anywhere as much as the old one. It has less freeboard and no side pockets, because of added floatation. If I bought the 5.25, I would go for the 115.

Also looked at Quintrex 540's with a 115. No bad, but they all seem to have these stupid low bimin's that you have to hunch over when standing. I guess for a 100 bucks or so you can get a higher one, but it makes the boat seem cramped and uncomfortable.

I also went to Sundown and got a price on a Freedom Sport 540, but after being talked into (sorta) the Yammie 4 stroke, upgrading to a VHF and adding a CD/radio and minus the weekend sale discount, I was looking at $45,000! Too much for what you get I reckon.

By the way, mentioning I was a member or Ausfich did nothing to help my chances of getting a better deal with the Quinnie rep!

Finally, I have sort of falllen in love with a different type of bowrider all together - a Sea Ray 185 Sports. It's American, sexy, comfortable, lifetime warranty on the hull and it's fast, but I'm not sure how it'd go out crossing the northern bay to Moreton. I'm not really into fishing much, so something to cruise around and maybe pull a tube with the family s what I'm looking for. And it's about $7,000 cheaper than the Quinnie.

PADDLES
13-03-2006, 02:33 PM
Hey drevil, if you're getting up to those sort of bucks go and look at the allison bowrider, very smart indeed, but it's in the high 30k low 40k bracket. It used to be marketed as an "aegean" and is a good seaworthy bowrider for the top end of the bay. It was a bit out of our pricerange when we were looking.

drevil
13-03-2006, 03:04 PM
Thanks Paddles - who sells Allison?

Seahorse
13-03-2006, 05:53 PM
hey drevel,
its not easy job. i liked the stacer but you are right about the bimimi. iam going to have a look at the bluefin 525. peter said in a previous post that you can stand in it, and see where you are going. rang wilde marine at coast today and $28500 with 115hp and all side cand front clears. read peters comment above. sounds good, and he said very dry. looked at formosa this arvo. all flat plate. $34500 with a 90hp. still looking at more but. have to get it right when spending that type of money. i will go for as many tests as it takes

cheers
greg

nodjule
13-03-2006, 06:21 PM
Not trying to offend but why a bowrider, why not look at other configerations, you might be pleasently suprised....

Swerve
13-03-2006, 06:28 PM
Not trying to offend but why a bowrider, why not look at other configerations, you might be pleasently suprised....

In my case my Mrs wanted the glam aspect of sitting up front, wind in hair, drinking bubbly. I wanted a 4.6m non painted, forward control runabout. Ended up with a 480 Freedomsport. The key is to comprimise.

Now we have it my dislikes are.

1- rear floor space is a little small, so we leave the rear lounge out and use camping chairs which are more comfy and leave more space when not in use.
2- Go the biggest engine you can. Quinnie recommend 60-80. We have a 70. Go maximium.

Steve

nodjule
13-03-2006, 07:10 PM
Fair enough, one must weigh up how much the other half will be in the boat I suppose,"women and bananas" which in my case is bugger all, hence me getting the final say on what configuration we where going to purchase, compromise is the key word with ALL boats. I found the bowrider setup tries to accomodate to many setups to its detriment, a bit like the old jack of all trades master of none I suppose, besids sitting up the bow of any boat whilst underway IMO sux nearly as much as being basically forced to sit down whilst underway because of boat setup would not do it for me, each to there own.

Cheers.

Seahorse
13-03-2006, 07:19 PM
nodjule, iam much like steve. she said runabout, i said great, the first boat we saw at northside mar was 525 bowrider. say no more. there is fair room at back in the 525. you can take seat out and fit double blow up matress in there quiet easly.the extra 425mm does make a big difference, from the 4.8m. yes would not put rear lounge up. stacer recommend 90, max 115. couple peaple suggested 90 4 stroke. not convinced yet. quieter i know but power, dont know. maybe someone has 90 hp 4stroke. maybe someone has 115 merc. let me know.what are the options nodjule.

cheers
greg

Swerve
13-03-2006, 07:33 PM
Bluefin 525 review

http://www.fishingmonthly.com.au/boats/bluefin/525/525.html

also

http://www.fishingmonthly.com.au/boats/boats-front/boats-front.html

nodjule
13-03-2006, 07:38 PM
Greg as far as options go, there are to many to list here, as I said everything in boating is a compromise no matter what hull configuration you decide to purchase, the bottom line is YOU need to figure out what the boat is going to be used for whilst you own it, that along with hull size are the only things you should be entering your mind when figuring out what type of layout you want, I personally dont like bowriders because they dont suit my idea of a good layout for fishing and/boating, that does not mean the bowrider wont suit your needs, I just know from experience that after the initial excitement of the new boat purchase dies off, the missus doesnt want to go boating any more, and you will be stuck with a boat that doesn/t suit anymore. I have seen this so many times it scares me.
As far as the motor goes, IMO if the 115 is max you can put on, go for the max..

backhoe
13-03-2006, 07:56 PM
Got a 480 Freedomsport with 80hp 4st yammie. Salesman tried to convince me that 60hp was enough but didn't beleive him. Glad I went with the 80, 60 would have been underpowered. FLat out does about 38mph with full load and easily sits on about 25mph at 3300 rpm. Economical too.
Like others bowrider format was a compromise. Never thought I would own anything but an open boat or centre console but obligations and priorities chance as you get a bit older.
Is a lot more comfortable too

Seahorse
13-03-2006, 08:49 PM
backhoe sounds like you are happy with the choice. as i and many others have said go for max power. just seems to be the go. why dont salesman recommend it. they are the so called experts. all the experts are on here. i have got so much help.

PADDLES
14-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Bribie boats sell allison up our way drevil. They do have a dealer down the southside but i've forgotten who it is. Google up the allison website and check it out. It sounds like everyone gets a bowrider for the same reasons, I came close to convincing the wife that a big runabout was the go but she liked the idea of a beer in the front lounge. They are certainly a compromise though, but nearly every boat is. If you wanted the best boat for each job you'd have to have a fleet. The quintrex and stacer type ones would make a bit better fishing boat than my signature one.

PADDLES
14-03-2006, 01:37 PM
Seahorse - I might be wrong but I reckon that the dealers put smaller motors into their packages to keep the price down.

nodjule
14-03-2006, 02:26 PM
Seahorse - I might be wrong but I reckon that the dealers put smaller motors into their packages to keep the price down.

100% correct paddles..............................

Seahorse
14-03-2006, 05:22 PM
ur probably right paddles. still not right thing to do. wish i had a dollar for every time u here someone say , that they wish that they went for the next size up in motor. i would be able to buy a bigger boat ;D
this has been a very informative topic and got some real good advise. hope it has helped others as well. hope i still keep getting some more.

cheers
greg

GAD
14-03-2006, 05:48 PM
Got my Raymarine c70 system from the states today $1500 dollars cheaper than anywhere in australia.
I'm just waiting on my Tabs 5m bowrider with 115 suzuki 4st, to put it in, should be here in 3 weeks.
After looking around and seeingwhat was on the market I came to my decsion,
On price it was cheaper than a quinny ,stacer or most of the others in that size.
It is plate so it will be stronger than an pressed side boat and in Cairns and Hinchinbrook and around the Gulf ,I want tough, and who can afford or can wait for a CAIRNS CUSTOM CRAFT.
Being plate it will be heavier than pressed side and a better ride.
and the reason I want a bowrider is to fish I'll be putting a casting deck on the front to be level with the deck , gunnels, and cover that hole , presto perfect casting platform.
Its not that I don't like glass but having traveled through the cape bit I have seen the remnents of a few boats and some peices of others, tin travells better on dirt .

Seahorse
14-03-2006, 06:06 PM
where r tabs boats? what did it cost. why did u go suki 4stroke 115?

GAD
14-03-2006, 11:23 PM
g'day seahorse ,
delivered to me in Cairns , boat ,outboard,trailer , rego , safety gear with a couple of extras $33k. Suzuki because I like what I have heard,seen and read.
Don't get me wrong I have a small 15 yammy on my 23 year old 3.7m stessll, and my last yammy 15 was 19 when she finnaly gave up the ghost, but liked the suzi better in the reads and friends who have them say great

GAD

Rlee
15-03-2006, 03:04 PM
I bought a bluefin 5.25 bowrider and couldnt be happier with the finish of the boat.

Ordered mine from the boatshow last sept and was quoted $25,990..ended up with some extras brought the price up.. can give you the details of what it included if you like.

Seahorse
15-03-2006, 05:27 PM
glad to hear rlee. bluefin sound like they r worth a look. peter said in a previos post he had 1 and was very happy. what did u finally end up with? motor? extras? anything i should ask for?
where do u go in it? have u had overnighter in it? plenty room?
cheers
greg

Seahorse
16-03-2006, 05:24 PM
went and looked at bluefin today. still think savage and stacer look the goods eventhough bluefin was little cheaper

Seahorse
17-03-2006, 04:37 PM
found another stacer dealer today. thought there was only 1. motorama bayside marine. anyone know

Seahorse
18-03-2006, 04:43 PM
saw the 525 blufin today. not a bad boat but still think 525 stacer just finished a little better. exactly the same price. stacer is 80kg heavier. maybe something in their design.

MickS
18-03-2006, 05:47 PM
G'day seahorse. Sent you a PM. I have a new stacer 5.25 with 115 HP 4 stoke, and heaps of extras. Boat goes well. Got a little wet last week in 15-20 knts, but the boat went well, and quite safe.

Good all round boat, fishing and family are my 2 major uses, and it fits the bill well.

One bit of advice, check the trailer, mine needed adjusting.

Cheers

MickS

Seahorse
18-03-2006, 06:18 PM
thanks mick. just sent u a pm

Rlee
20-03-2006, 04:39 PM
I looked at the savage and stacer too and took the specs to the bluefin dealer and he pointed out some differences.

I will pm you his details.

Btw isnt there a tinnie and tackle show coming up.. might be a good place to get a bargain.

Rlee
20-03-2006, 04:47 PM
Forgot to answer your questions sorry...

We go out on the bay mostly and have slept on it overnight with a blowup mattress.

Looked at getting a cabin v the bowrider and found that we would and do use the bow section more than we would use the same space for a cabin.

Seahorse
20-03-2006, 05:07 PM
thats my thoughts as well rlee, about the use of cab against bow rider. i know about the tinnie show. just narrowing down my options before i hit them.

cheers
greg

Rlee
20-03-2006, 05:30 PM
I will dig out my list later of what was included with mine and then the extras..
....the extras made a diff to the price ($6000) but still the bluefin had a lot already included.

Seahorse
20-03-2006, 06:56 PM
thanks rlee. let me know

cheers
greg