PDA

View Full Version : what size will she handle

JEWIENEWIE
24-03-2006, 08:50 AM
Need some advice boys, I am looking at buying a new boat in the future around the 4 to 4.5 mark.
due to finances i wish to purchase the motor new first. I currently have a 3.95 stacer runabout with a 25 jono on her. What i would like to buy is a motor prefferably with tilt and trim electric start, due to a shot back. What my question is what size motor will my runabout handle. I would like to buy the motor first and fit it to my current boat until i can afford the new hull. I think that the smalleest motor i can get with tilt trim etc is a 40hp, is this to big for my current boat, will she sink or fall apart with the added weight, power.
Any ideas would be greatly aprreciated.
Jewienewie

borisdog
24-03-2006, 09:05 AM
I've seen 3.95 Stacers with 50's on them. If you're staying with alloy then at 4 - 4.5m I'd consider a 50 to be pretty much right but possibly a bit under at the upper length end. A boat I fish in regularly is a 4.2 Allycraft runabout with a 40 Yamaha elec start,trim,tilt and it's sometimes a bit under-powered. It's pretty much all about hull/loaded weight so it's a bit hard to give a definite answer. Check out your current hull's weight and use it as a guide to desired Hp for your new boat down the track when you're looking around.

nigelr
24-03-2006, 01:59 PM
Depends how many you are taking out with you, I tend to fish either alone or with my son. Personally I'd go the 40, absolute max, Who wants to go fast in a tinnie?????? No-one who values their body, that's for sure! I have a 4.2 Stessco Catcher with a 30, take it over the local bar, which is hideous in comparison with that at Ballina, fish mainly inshore but hunt out to the 8 mile when conditions allow, plenty of speed and pick-up when required. Many run 25s on this size and are happy with that, but I imagine they fish solo. The beaty is that they are very economical to run! If you go a 4.5, a 40 should be plenty big enough, IMO. Yesterday I checked a 4.8 Bonito with a 60 E-tec. The owner told us he took 5 lads outside last w/e and had no trouble getting the boat onto the plane.
I think experience and skill are far better allies than horsepower!
Try and figure how many are going to be regularly on board the new vessel.
As for putting a 40 on your current boat, is there a plate or something on the hull that states max engine size? Besides, if she doesn't sit too low in the aft, and you decide to go that way, you don't necessarily have to run the 40 flat out!
Cheers.

Seahorse
24-03-2006, 04:04 PM
i got 4.2 stacer. got a 30 merc on it. goes real well, but think a 40 would have been the bees knees. 40 would be max and i bet they are max rated at 40hp. 50 would be absolute overkill.

Spaniard_King
24-03-2006, 08:02 PM
You can get a honda 20 with elecy start and trim and tilt 8-)

Garry

inspired
24-03-2006, 08:28 PM
iv just ordered a 445 stessco with 50 hp trim tilt electric start the motor fitted $6220(motor only) merc the boat $2700 braked trailer $1700 the motor is always the biggest exspence i recomend find the motor you like eg merc yami suzi honda ect then price them at atleast 4 different dealers you would be serpriced at price diff

Jeff

seatime
24-03-2006, 08:41 PM
Hi Jewie, agree with all the above, u will have some idea of type of 4.5m tinnie u want. Get the max rating for a 4.5m pressed alloy hull, it's probably around 40hp. Have a walk around the sale yards and look at the compliance plates on the new tinnies.
Some of the new fangdangle types of trim/tilt with everything on the tiller, like the Yammies, look real neat.
But, if u get a plate or plate sided 4.5m, u could swing a 60hp off some of those. The 40 Yammie's looking good, cheers.

Blackened
25-03-2006, 07:27 AM
G'day
Go and figure out what your max hp and weight on the current boat is. IF it's not enough to warrant a decent hp size engine for the 4.5 then fork out the bucks then.
Dave

Bowser
25-03-2006, 07:46 AM
2 things here, I doubt whether your current boat could handle the 40 legally but more importantly sensibly.

I have a 4.45 Stessco and currently run a 30 on it. I bought the boat as a tiller steer and that was plenty of motor for the boat. I have since converted it to a centre console and the extra windage and weight of the console, screen and t-top means that this motor is now having to be used very high in the rev range, it still does the job but I am looking to upgrade to a 40 probably to make sure I have the power needed in a sea. A 50 would be plenty and is all the boat is rated too anyway. Having said that it will depend on the boat you buy. I have noticed that Quintrex boats in particular need more horses to get on the plane.

If you can set up the boat with normal load and use a motor that will run you at around 20 knots at half to 3/4 revs then that should be plenty. Sure thera re days when you can run a 15 foot tinnie at 35 knots but they are few and far between, so why waste money on buying it in the first place and on fuel that the bigger motor will use in the second when you don't need too?

James_Rand
25-03-2006, 09:53 AM
Hi, JEWIENEWIE,

Mate, I've got a heavy duty 4.00 Stessco tinny rated up to 40hp. Currently have a 30hp 2 stroke Mercury Power tilt/trim, electric start, Oil Injected and with one up, it feels overpowered, with 2-3 up, feels about right, with 4 heavy guys with gear etc, feels a little underpowered. I don't know about other brands but with Mercs, the step up to 40hp involves a huge jump in engine weight. Don't think your hull would be rated above 30hp anyway.

Again, just depends on cargo/people weight on board.

Hope that helps!

jr.