PDA

View Full Version : Trailer/boat weight distribution

aquarius
26-03-2006, 03:05 PM
Folks my mate has a small trailer/ boat problem.
Trailer is too heavy to lift onto towbar.
Should he move the trailer axle back 10cms or just move the boat back on the trailer?
How much weight do you need when the boat and trailer are sitting on the towbar?
All info greatly appreciated.
Cheers #Brent.

finga64
26-03-2006, 04:25 PM
Gidday matey,
If the trailer is too heavy to lift at the drawbar (bit at the front), move the axle forwards to bring the centre of balance forward.
Personally, I like about 10-15kg on the drawbar but others will have their own personal opinions.
Hope this helps
Scott :)

whichway
26-03-2006, 04:27 PM
HI

If you move the trailer axle back, I think that will place more weight on the towbar - you would have to move it forward.

I think that the weight on the towbar needs to be about 10%?? or so of the total towing weight. Too little wieight on the towbar, and the trailer will fishtail. You could experiment to see how light you need to go, but you would need to tow at a variety of different speeds and on different surfaces. If you're only towing a 4m tinnie, then a little fishtailing would not be the problem it would be on a 6.5m fibreglass, but I think that any fishtailing is not good.

If it's too heavy to get on the towbar, then get a wind up jocky wheel.

Whichway.

aquarius
26-03-2006, 04:32 PM
Thanks Guys, sorry i meant to write move the axle forward.
The boat is a quinny coast runner 455 and yes there is a fold away jockey wheel but its parked on grass and it takes 2 persons to lift the trailer at the drawbar.
Those sea link trailers are built to last !!!!!!!
Cheers #Brent

finga64
26-03-2006, 05:12 PM
Always read the vehicles owners manual for specs on drawbar weight and towing weight. A lot of cars are a maximum of 80kg at the tow ball. ;)

unhappyseajaybuyer
26-03-2006, 05:16 PM
ive heard 30 to 40 kgs u need some weight pushed onto back wheels of car 4 traction on ramps and wet road

Angla
26-03-2006, 05:28 PM
You need to have something less than 100 kgs on the tow bar.

For instance, when I put the trailer on the vehicle I have to put weight on the trailer to get it to drop on, but I would not be able to lift the trailer on without a jockey wheel.
I have also installed a ratchet jockey for moving the trailer into position. It has a pneumatic tyre and would give better grip on the grass.

The boat is a 5.75m glass with dual axle trailer. Around 2 tonne

Angla

uripper
26-03-2006, 06:57 PM
sounds like yet another dealer stuff-up - all trailer boat combos should be "tuned" to account for weight of motor, hull weight distribution, towing capability of vehicle etc - suggest you talk to Sea Link explaining your particular configuration - great trailers & even better after-sale service - you may find more solutions in addition to shifting the axle - a well fitted trailer is a pleasure - an "off the rack" setup often has problems
MalM

seatime
26-03-2006, 07:49 PM
All good advise, can I add to the input. It doesn't sound like the boat belongs on that trailer.
If the boat fits neatly on the trailer, supported underneath around the transom, without overhanging, then move the axle. An awful lot of damage can happen to tinnies on trailers not set up correctly.
Experiment with G clamps to find the right balance for the weighted trailer. It's only a small set up. 10% of towing weight on downward towing hitch sounds right for guesstimating. Best to check the hitch, Hayman Reece would handle it no worries. cheers Steve.