PDA

View Full Version : Southwind UB580

Wear_the_fox_hat
20-03-2006, 07:16 PM
Just wondering if anyone can give me their thoughts on the Southwind UB580 (now Southern Star), what they are like to fish out of & how they travel in open waters into a bit of swell & chop.

toymod
20-03-2006, 07:20 PM
been told good things about these boats suppose to be great alround boats...even told they out perform haines ::)

Blackened
20-03-2006, 11:28 PM
G'day
I think you're talking about the southwind longboat? If so, just make shure you check for stress cracks, all through the hull as they would twist pretty badly. I remember vividly a few coming into the shop at arnolds when I worked there.
Dave

2rods
21-03-2006, 10:06 AM
A nice boat.. good in the chop and slop but a wet boat :-/

The only thing I didn't like in them is the low sides... to close to the croc's for me ;D ;D ;D

Heaps of room to fish though.

finding_time
21-03-2006, 01:58 PM
Mate i've got the 520 so pm me if you have any questions!!!

Wear_the_fox_hat
21-03-2006, 09:18 PM
Bump

Kendall249
25-03-2006, 11:25 PM
I own a similar style 7.5 wide beam longboat. As far as sea keeping ability goes I've got nothing bad to say (as I been caught in 20/25knts, travelling beam-on for most of the trip), but one piece of advice is buy a raincoat for the choppy days.

uripper
26-03-2006, 06:27 PM
I have a UB580 #forward mount c'console built to survey - based on the indo-pacific longboat design that has been proven over hundreds of years specifically to carry large loads over open coastal waters with minimum horsepower - no wetter or weaker(thats crap) #than most "name" boats (plate or glass) of same class /size - if your looking for cute & cuddlely family half-cab then this is not for you - if you want one of the best value-for-money, safest, toughest, & best handling fishing boats around that will get you up a shallow creek just as well as offshore, then please consider - how many boats of this length & capability can perform with 70HP on a single axle trailer & weigh under 1200kg ? - a real shame when Yamaha pulled the plug on the Southwind product (couldn't complete with the lean & mean family /locally owned builders - similar thing happened to the OMC Haines Hunter experiment - heard Southern Star got the UB moulds & are doing some good things - also many good reports about Goodwin & Hooker longboats - they dont suit everyone - as an open water work horse they have a lot to offer - PM me your phone nos & I will happily share further info (positive & negative) +small library of info I've gathered from various sources
MalM

Daan1
27-03-2006, 09:22 PM
Was thinking of getting a ub 520 but have ordered a stinger rampage. A bit dearer but have a lot more features