PDA

View Full Version : Hydro foils??

nick1971
29-03-2006, 07:46 AM
Hi All thinking of mounting a set of foils to my 30 hp yamaha. What do you lot think are the best option (1Piece of 2 piece) and do they work???

Cheers

Nick.

finga64
29-03-2006, 07:56 AM
Gidday Nick,
You might need to post a few details first. ie what type of boat, type of use and most importantly what problems are you having??
Personally, if your not haing any problems leave it alone. :)
Cheers Scott

nick1971
29-03-2006, 06:16 PM
I have a 4.2m Quintrex. I use the boat mostly estuary fishing and on calm days in the bays, and if the kids are board take them to the river and tow them around on the tube. The problems I am having is that with a load on it takes some time for the boat to get up, once its up everything is good in a straight line. When I corner with or without a load the motor cavitates on even the gentlest of turns. I have tried adjusting the trim and have found that the second setting with 2 people and a dog to be the most effective. I have also heard that the foils can improve fuel economy and get on the plan at lower speeds and maintain the plane. I dont know how this will effect trolling speeds i guess it will speed it up. But if I trim the motor out all the way for trolling this should work. I need help!!! :'(

Streetkid
29-03-2006, 06:32 PM
Your motor is definately one of two things, either mounted too high or still trimmed out too far.

Seahorse
29-03-2006, 09:24 PM
try 3rd hole out. i got 30 merc and made all the difference. if you want a foil for the 30hp, let me know cause i got 1 set. what a waste. fair enough, might have got me out little quicker and i mean little but lower top speed

blaze
29-03-2006, 09:38 PM
dont believe I ever seen any outboard manufacturer supply extend wings as a part. Not trying to be a smart ar*se but like others have pouinted out that they only mask an exsisting problem
cheers
blaze

billfisher
29-03-2006, 09:57 PM
But thats the point of using them. They mask some problems very effectively. Ie if your boat is stern heavy, slow to get on the plane, prone to falling off the plane at lower speeds, or somewhat underpowered. A foil will make a noticeable improvement in these cases, and is a lot simpler and cheaper than fixing the underlying problem. The latter might involve replacing the motor or putting the boat up for sale!

Just_One_More_Cast
29-03-2006, 10:07 PM
Hi Nick,

You should check out the other thread in this section entitled "fitting hydrofoils" it was last updated 23/3/06 - very relevant to your situation.

As I have already commented on that thread, I have a 30HP Johnson on a 12'6" Stacer V Hull and the foils have improved it quite a bit, but from research I did before fitting them, it seems they work wonders on some boats, have no effect on others and actually make some perform considerably worse.

Seems to be a case of "suck it and see" as long as you don't mind risking 4 small bolt holes in your cav plate if you have to take them off again.

For the record, I have the 2 piece Lalizas foils and picked them up for about $30 , so it won't cost you much to try it. Well worth the money in my case.

Good luck with it.

Steve

Seahorse
30-03-2006, 08:30 PM
if you want to have ur boat feel like its dragging its arse at top speed, dont fit it. if you want to get on plane fly shit quicker and have the boat plane nice and level at low speed and make the ride a little more comfortable for person sitting up front, then put it on.
the drag at top speed shit me off. i got 4.2m stacer 30hp merc on back. if you want a set to try first give me a call. 0411643128. cause i wont put them back on

cheers
greg