PDA

View Full Version : JBS 6.0 Centre Cab - Any Info

Lobster48
08-03-2006, 11:15 PM
G'Day,

Am currently looking to upgrade current 5.5 metre Chivers Plate Alloy Centre Console. Am looking seriously at a JBS (Joshua Boats) 6.0m centre cab. Have spent some time with the JBS team and have found them to be excellent.

Anyone got any reports on the JBS product, particularly the 6.0 hull. All reports good, bad, whatever appreciated. Also any reports on the 140hp Suzuki particularly if it would be a good match for the JBS.

Cheers

Lobster
Darwin NT

GBC
09-03-2006, 07:50 AM
Try Ringing battery traders at moss st slacks creek, they've had a couple in the family and currently a 5.something Joshua.

Be careful comparing JBS and Joshuas as they are different hulls by different blokes albeit brothers....

Cheers,

C.J.

Alex9797
09-03-2006, 11:44 AM
one for sale at springwood marine

alex

dfox
09-03-2006, 06:13 PM
Why not look at one of ausfish's sponsers and have a yarn to col at fisher boats. He also deals in suzuki's...foxy

fish-n-dive
09-03-2006, 06:30 PM
Mate, if I had the money, I'd buy one!!! ;)

Cheers 8-)

Lobster48
09-03-2006, 09:02 PM
Cheers,

I had a look at the 6.5 at springwood. Pretty sure it has been sold now though.

As far as JBS being different to Joshua Boats I have been dealing with Malcolm and Pauline and they are based at slacks creek. I feel that Joshua Boats is the new 'trendy' name which reflects the fact that Cliff has retired.

If there are any different points of view I would be happy to hear them.

Importantly I want to know if the ride is the same as all the fuss. Sometimes hard to get an unbiased answer if you know what I mean...

seatime
09-03-2006, 09:04 PM
Mate don't buy anything till you've driven it in some chop, with weight to match full tanks, gear etc. If you are going on reputation, I've heard they are real good. But no personal experience. The forefoot feature, by reports works a treat.
One thing I noticed with a couple of these 6.0m or so plate boats and Suzuki's, they could have done with trim tabs, I think. When loaded up they took longer than I thought they should to get out of the hole. Maybe it was the weight distribution, these plateys with 4 strokes can be heavy in the rear.

A mate has a 6.5 Sportfish with a 140 Suzuki and he loves it. I've used the 115 and thought it real sweet. regards

Reefmaster
09-03-2006, 09:57 PM
Take a look at what what makes a boat ride well- one major point is the Deadrise (vee of the hull). JBS hulls are only 15 degree with the custom flare in the front 1/4 of hull. Even in reasonable seas this flared area does not spend alot of the time in the water to help cut it's entry instead it rides/impacts just past the flare and with only 15 degree deadrise it's like landing on concrete. The flare is ok in small short chop like in the bay when you trim the motor down and put the nose in. JBS will tell you that only having 15 degree deadrise means better stability, stay's on the plane longer and less power is needed for shallow vee boats to be pushed through the water. Well sounds good in theory but does it make their boats better then the rest? I don't think so

Now take Fisher boats into account- 23 degree deadrise for great entry/ride and water ballast tanks at rest for stability. Straight away you have an unreal hull for a great riding plate boat with stability to match. Now as thoery would have it these 23 degree boats should take alot to get them on the plane well it's totally the opposite. Fisher boats get on the plane easier then any other boat i have been in (alot easier then a jbs and thats from experience and also from what other jbs owners have said) Warren Steptoe who writes for Modern fishing mag has done a couple of articles on fishers and was so surprised about the very low speed that these boats continue to stay on the plane aswell. He also said that this would be a boat that would even suit Glass boat guys for it's ride is that good.

It's really your choice but look at the basic's behind a good effective hull design which will work as it's alot of money your forking out. Take both for a test ride and then make your decision.
How much fishing does the team at JBS do in there boats? I know Col at Fisher goes out all the time so he really knows what makes a great fishing boat.

No i don't own a Fisher but i certainly know my way around a JBS ;)

Regards Greg

Glind
10-03-2006, 08:32 AM
There is a 5.5 Ext Fisher on the For Sale section. It is 6m overall and maybe what you are chasing, and it is powered by a Suzi.
Tim

Reefmaster
10-03-2006, 05:37 PM
The Fisher in the for sale section is a great boat and one of the biggest 5.5 mtr boats you will see :o :o Plenty of room and the 140 suzuki works a treat on it and has spent its life so far around 1800 rpm trolling. Check it out you will be surprised.

Regards Greg

Seahorse
10-03-2006, 06:48 PM
whenever i read reports on here, fisher is always highly recommended. do they make 4.8 or thereabouts. would you compare with quintrex or the likes?

Reefmaster
10-03-2006, 07:37 PM
Seahorse Fisher do make a 4.8mtr mate. have a look on http://www.fisherboats.com.au/boat_index.html

These boats are custom made to suit your needs and the design is so totally different to a Quintrex. Quintrex are not even close to the same league as Fisher boats but like i said they are totally different boats.

dfox
10-03-2006, 07:44 PM
Yeah mate they make plenty around that size, as far as comparing say a 450 fisher to a simular sized quinnie , there just no comparison. Ive done alot of fishing in the small fishers and can honestly say they handle extremely well for such a small boat , in fact they handle conditions far in excess of there size.
Ive fished most of the wider reefs off brisbane in a 450 and have never felt unsafe, although i have come home quite wet in rough seas, but what can you expect from a boat that size.
As far as im concerned there a good honest hull... pics of the 450 im refering too...

dfox
10-03-2006, 07:47 PM
another view

jimbo59
10-03-2006, 09:22 PM
Ive owned a 6 metre jbs,it was the 2nd boat cliff ever built,fairly flat old bum at 13 degrees,it would be 10 years old now.The newer ones that mal is building are a better built boat ,alot more meat under the floor.Greg is right about the ride, but if u live in darwin u could be closer to troys 2 foot chop which would make it a good propersition ;).

I cant understand that a fisher could plane easier than joshua
a punt is more stable than a V hull and needs less hp to plane.

Reefmaster
10-03-2006, 09:53 PM
Jimbo59
I couldn't believe that a Fisher could get on the plane so easily myself but what was more unbelievable was how they stay on the plane as such low speeds. I reckon a major factor behind this is the weight distribution in the build of the boat and i personally believe this to be a problem in the jbs. I don't know about your 6mtr but the 5.5 falls off the plane easy and takes some effort to get it on the plane. Just my opinion.

I couldn't agree with you more that the shallower the vee the less power is required to push it but the weight distribution really seems to make a huge difference as far as getting a boat on the plane easily and staying on it at low speeds.

regards Greg

Sportfish_5
10-03-2006, 10:19 PM
Go for a ride in both and you'll see the difference ;) Watch just how little the bow in the Fisher will rise when getting onto the plane.

All boats are a compromise in some way but I think Col is on the money with the Maxi hull shape and boat balance but that's a personal opinion based on the last 12 years owning plate boats (not a Fisher though)

Cheers

Greg

David_P
11-03-2006, 09:02 PM
Jimbo59
I couldn't believe that a Fisher could get on the plane so easily myself but what was more unbelievable was how they stay on the plane as such low speeds.

Another aspect that helps the Fisher to plane at such low speeds is that the maxi hull has a flat planing keel.

Regards,
Dave.

jimbo59
11-03-2006, 09:43 PM
Hey reefmaster you must put all of your fish up the bow, no wonder she's a puppy ::)

Lobster48
11-03-2006, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the Fisher advertising guys. I find it rewarding to see a brand has such good support. I find it amazing though that no one has mentioned the likes of AMM, Noble, Bluewater etc etc. I know that Fisher sponsor some of this site but please there are some great brands out there that have yet to be mentioned.

Thanks again for the input. After careful consideration I will go with the JBS 6.0 Centre Cab. I have spoken to Malcolm and I will be getting the first of the new 6.0m with the increased depth in the sides and a 15% deadrise.

I will be fishing out of Darwin and 15% with the right trim should be just fine.

Thanks again though for the input. When she is finished I will be sure to let you all know haow it is...maybe even do some blatant advertising of my own.

Cheers All

David_P
12-03-2006, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the Fisher advertising guys. #I find it rewarding to see a brand has such good support. #I find it amazing though that no one has mentioned the likes of AMM, Noble, Bluewater etc etc. #I know that Fisher sponsor some of this site but please there are some great brands out there that have yet to be mentioned.

Thanks again for the input. #After careful consideration I will go with the JBS 6.0 Centre Cab. #I have spoken to Malcolm and I will be getting the first of the new 6.0m with the increased depth in the sides and a 15% deadrise. #

I will be fishing out of Darwin and 15% with the right trim should be just fine.

Thanks again though for the input. #When she is finished I will be sure to let you all know haow it is...maybe even do some blatant advertising of my own.

Cheers All

I imagine the reason why so many people rave about the Fisher is that they have been in one. I note that a couple of the guys replying to this post stated that they don't own a Fisher, so they surely wouldn't talk them up unless they really believed it, and have actually been in one.

I certainly am biased toward the Fisher as I have a 600 extended with the maxi hull. My last boat was a Quinny 600 Offshore. Similar hull shape to the JBS, ie flared bow and shallow deadrise. I found it rode how Reefmaster described the JBS, ie ok in a short bay chop with the motor trimmed right in, but belted the cr*p out of you in anything above this. I would never compare any Quinne to the build / construction quality to the JBS, just the hull shape.

This poor ride was what steered me to the Fisher maxi hull. I looked at the Noble, but they were a lot dearer, and the AMM only had an 18 degree deadrise. Both great boats. A mate of mine has a 6400 AMM which is a lovely boat, but the Fisher had the hull I wanted and at a more reasonable price.

I guess the key for anyone buying a boat is to find the one that suits you and your local conditions the best. That's why I bought the Fisher, and I am sure you'll be very happy with the JBS. Be sure to post some pics when she's finished. All you gotta do now is wait....

Happy fishing #:)

Dave.

PS, check out the review of Aquaholic, 670 Fisher, in the latest Modern Fishing Mag.

Lobster48
12-03-2006, 11:45 AM
waiting will be the hardest bit.

Cheers all.

fishyjoe
13-03-2006, 07:09 AM
Hi all,

I too have been looking at a JBS centre cab (5.5mt) and have read a lot of reports ranging from Warren Steptoe through to QFM #and they all rated JBS very highly both in the ride and as a great fishing boat overall. #So I am a bit confused and at the same time very interested with everyones view, thats what makes this site such a valuable reference tool.

I must confessed that I am new to this boating caper and am still looking, #however Mal and Pauline from JBS have been great.

I was wondering if any of the contributors to this subject think by adding #trim tabs would improve the overall ride of the JBS?

Regards

Joe

Reefmaster
13-03-2006, 05:00 PM
Hi Joe
Don't get me wrong but jbs are still a great boat and certainly done us proud but i still think the hull design falls short of other plate builders. As far as people saying they ride fantastic well i don't know what they are comparing them too but i have been in other plateys which ride and perform alot better. I reckon that trim tabs would make these boats better for sure but at such a shallow deadrise (15degree) i really think they shouldn't need them all that badly.

You say Mal and Pauline have been great towards you but do you really think they are going to be rude to a possible sale?. Im not saying there not good people because they are but you shouldn't base your decision on that although it does help during getting the boat built and also afterwards.

Look at the design of other boats first and even go for a test drive in them. Atleast then you can make the best possible decision as it's alot of money to throw around.

Good Luck

Regards Greg

Smithy
13-03-2006, 06:43 PM
AMM - paying for the name. The painted ones have certainly had some time spent on them but you are paying for all that labour.

Noble - sceptical about them in a following sea from a few reports I have heard. Obviously that sharp nose has got to help cut but does it give the boat other vices? Once again they can pretty them up but all of that costs money. Used to have the reputation under their various names. Going bust a few times has dented their reputation.

Bluewater - Don't know much about them.

Riptide/Rebel/Tabs/JBS/Razerline/Lightning/Seastorm/Rambla/Penguin/Stingray/etc., etc. - a plate boat is a plate boat. Would be small differences in ride/fitout/finish.

Mclay/Stabicraft/Bar Crusher - boy those Kiwis sure know how to build a boat. All underated. If it is finish you want, check out the weld quality of the Mclay and Stabis.

Profish/Bajcraft - only popular in the places they are built, would be a price thing.

Spacecrafts - always loved the sexy forward sloping targas on them. Not sure how they go and being from NSW if you were having one built it would hard to keep an eye on it as it was being built. Must be tough as nails. Been using a water ballasting system for a long time.

Fishers - seem to have the reputation at the moment. The water ballasting system if you want it is a legitamate design feature that works by all accounts. Must be good value for money stacked up against the Sportfish and AMM.

That is my take on it.

Bombarry
13-03-2006, 11:47 PM
Joshua Boats and JBS Marine Boats are indeed separate.
The original JBS Marine boats that have been tested in the mags are being built by the younger brother on the Sunshine Coast in Warana. Top bunch of guys working there, very helpful.

fishyjoe
14-03-2006, 06:47 AM
Thanks Greg,

I understand what you are saying and respect the fact that you spend the time helping with advice on this subject. You are correct in asking about comparisons between the manufactures and an article in one of the more popular magazines similar to how they compare cars would be great. #I have requested that QFM run an updated test on the 5.5 JBS, but like all will have to wait my turn in the queue!

Bombarry, #have you the contact details for the younger brother in Warana?

Thanks all, as always looking forward to more on this subject

Joe

CHRIS_aka_GWH
14-03-2006, 06:54 AM
one for sale at springwood marine

alex

I looked at that boat a few weeks back - the sales boys will get you up & inside .....

if any ausfishers look at this boat do so with open eyes on the ground level - its had a decent hit to the RHS & the motor for its age looks like its been used to dredge coral - i'd be worried about the state of the gear box. The price would want to be right. If it sold I wonder how much for ?
chris

Bombarry
14-03-2006, 07:22 AM
Hey Joe

I got onto JBS on 07 5493 5111. They are in Dual Ave can't remember what number.

Bombarry

fishyjoe
14-03-2006, 07:24 AM
Thanks mate,

I will give them a call.

Joe

Joshua_Boats
17-03-2006, 12:31 PM
It is obvious that there is a bit of confusion about JBS (Joshua Boats). My younger son Wayne decided to move to the Sunshine Coast, and has been building JBS hulls up there for the re-named Joshua Boats.

Malcolm (my elder son) has remained at the existing factory at Slacks Creek, and is building the newer design Joshua Boats, as well as completing the JBS boats that Wayne has built to hull stage.

Both boats are from my original designs, and Malcolm and I have been working on some improvements on the design manufactured by Joshua Boats at Springwood, resulting in 100mm higher sides which has improved the self draining capabilities, and increased the degree of the deadrise from 12 to 15 degrees, which improves the ride. We have also reduced the sharp shoulders on the chine, resulting in better slicing through choppy water.

We have been building aluminium boats since 1975 and we are constantly fine tuning our designs to improve safety & performance.

By the way, trim tabs are a good idea if the passengers won't sit still while underway.

Hope this makes it all a bit clearer.

Cliff Joshua

fishyjoe
17-03-2006, 04:25 PM
Thanks,

That has made it a lot clearer and reinforces my opion and that of the many authors of articles on the subject.

Many thanks for your clarification.

Joe

ellste
26-03-2006, 06:43 PM
jbs or joshua boats are a great hull, they love a bit of the choppy stuff.even though they may be built by two different people albiet brothers, they are still built to the same design and quality and sold under the one banner!!!

fishyjoe
27-03-2006, 06:30 AM
For what it is worth, I believe that the 5.5mt JBS (Joshua) boat that I have been researching and admiring is one of the best in the business.

I have a quote for the above with all the bells and whistles, which, compared with what you would get in other similar boats is very, very competative.

Fit and Finish of the boats leave a lot of boats for dead.

At the end of the day it's very much a personal choice, the intended use of the boat differs from person to person and that is why we have so many stlyes out there. The most important thing is that you injoy yourself and be safe.

Joe

poss
27-03-2006, 03:15 PM
Ive got a 5.5m c/console J.B.S. 2yrs old very dry boat true about the ride, a bit rough needs a bit more deadrise in the rear 18 degrees might make the ride a bit better, but very stable at rest. was for sale will still sell at the right price, just remember when dealing with the guys there they are very busy so right down every thing you want on the boat a bit forgetfull sometimes, I had some issues but still good to deal with got any questions feel free to ask.

piglet
28-03-2006, 04:53 PM
poss you are in mackay am I right whats sort of dollars you chasing

Lobster48
29-03-2006, 04:32 PM
Cheers all,

I have finally decided upon a 6.0m Centre Cabin design. They have just developed a new model with higher sides and I am going for a 15% deadrise which should suit my local conditions. I am fitting a 250l fuel tank which should give me a decent range. I am however moving away from the 140hp Suzuki and going for a Honda.

Am not sure if a 135 or 150. I believe they are exactly the same motor with the same features except the 150 has the VTEC active where the 135 has the VTEC earth wire removed and the Computer Control Unit replaced. If this is the case it is possible to have the VTEC activiated on the 135 at a later stage if needed?

Has anyone had any experience with the 135. If a Suzuki 140 would push the boat I can't see why that there would be a dramatic drop in performance with the 135 Honda with its bigger displacement...any thoughts?

The money I save on the 135 over the 150 could go towards my electronics...am looking at a FURUNO GP7000F.

Any advise would be nice. Will post a seperate engine thread.

Cheers all.

dfox
29-03-2006, 05:52 PM
I cant see anything wrong with your choice, the 135 seems sensible enough to me...foxy

Lone_Wolf
30-03-2006, 07:57 AM
Has anyone had experiences with the Sea Storm Boats, in particular the Sea Strength boats?

Lobster48
31-03-2006, 11:59 AM
Can't say that I have heard of them at all.

Sorry