would very much appreciate advice on fixing the problem

was told by one guy to rub baby oil into the glass

looked shiny after but did not last long

made deck way to slippery

after youve finished laughing please advise

ray sunshine coast

Owen
26-03-2006, 02:30 PM
You can get gelcoat polishes from auto shops.
I had a 4 runner that used to go chalky on the FRP top in no time.
This stuff worked pretty well.

cheers,
Owen

Seahorse
26-03-2006, 04:20 PM
a good auto cutter. then polish. got to cut it first.

banshee
26-03-2006, 07:09 PM
There's a product called Nyallic (sp) that is claimed to bring chaulky 'glass back to new,goes on like a clear paint and any subsiquent coats melt the previous one and bond in.

Blackened
27-03-2006, 08:34 AM
G'day
IF it's going chalky then thats completely normal. I too have heard of the baby oil but have never used it and not likely too either. As a detailer this is my procedure: Acid wash with septone drifter to remove chalkiness and yellowness and rust stains. Let dry and follow with meguiars heavy duty oxidation remover, it's a cut and polish designed for gelcoat in the marine environment and this is a must as you must physically remover the gelcoat thats gone off. Follow this with their one step cleaner and wax for the longevity and to sal up the gelcoat itself, wich is actually porus. This will keep a good gloss and wax it once every 6 months if stored outside in the sun. You can get away with 12monthly waxing is inside all the time. Be aware depending on conditin of gelcoact, brands used, methods used and the initial environment and atmosphere in wich it was created all gelcoats will have different characteristics with gloss and depth and different wax holding abilities.
Dave

ambo
28-03-2006, 12:05 AM
thank you very much guys have written down your advice

cheers ray

MulletMan
28-03-2006, 09:26 AM
At the next Boat Show, there will be a stand for a product called PolyGlow that is brilliant.
The first application strips everything off the gelcoat (including the chalkiness) and the next coat brings back a lustre like a new boat. Requires about five or six coats but easy to use and lasts for yonks.

http://www.pcmdistributors.com.au
Tel: (03) 9553-6500
Fax: (03) 9532-0015
Mob: 0418 594 534

Guys name is Peter Cain

ambo
29-03-2006, 08:54 PM
thanks pink panther one question how is it applied brush ,cloth or spray

impulse492f
30-03-2006, 12:40 PM
thanks pink panther one question how is it applied brush ,cloth or spray

http://www.poliglowaustralia.com.au/application.htm

Blackened
30-03-2006, 04:21 PM
G'day
Dont wanna rain on anyones parade but have fun with poliglow:) Personally I have used it and have seen the after effects. Won't go near it again. Each to their own.
Dave

rubba
30-03-2006, 04:32 PM
baby oil its cheap and effective

impulse492f
30-03-2006, 04:58 PM
G'day
Dont wanna rain on anyones parade but have fun with poliglow:) Personally I have used it and have seen the after effects. Won't go near it again. Each to their own.
Dave

What was the problem Blackened?

Blackened
31-03-2006, 08:27 AM
G'day
Well, it's a sealant. Nothing wrong with that. It covers up the original gelcoat completely. It's easy to get runs in it and when it does, looks horrendous. Can go patchy, will differ the depth and amount of gloss from the original gelcoat. Just not a fan personally. Put things this way. If this stuff was superior to older fashioned QUALITY polishes and waxes............. then why arent the major boat manufacturers using it?
Dave

MulletMan
31-03-2006, 11:17 AM
Yeh, Blackened has some good points there with the product.
The secret is slow and easy and preparation - preparation - preparation!
I used their provided sponge and had pretty good success but the moment you attempt to slap on too much you will get the runs. I pulled out all the clip studs, deck fittings etc. and that made it a lot easier to apply without having to get around all those obstacles.
The patchiness I found comes from uneven application of the final coat.
I put eight coats on my 26 footer (Sigh!) and was quite pleased with the final result.
If you do create a problem area, it is easy to remove with the PREPCOAT and start again.
Tried a fine brush but found the sponge the best.
Best applied in the shade and only do one section at a time i.e. you can say do the entire transom 6-8 times and then move on somewhere else.
I have had it on for twelve months now and no complaints though the glossy look has faded and probably needs another coat.
But as Blackened has the experience in this field I would tend to stick to his advice maybe?

impulse492f
31-03-2006, 12:01 PM
Thanks Blackened & PinkPanther