PDA

View Full Version : Protect your trailer

Hoges
23-03-2006, 08:54 AM
:)
Just saw this on the Aldi site and available from next Thursday 30th of March and thought it might be some added protection for the boat and trailer. Especially the empty trailer at the boat ramp.
http://www.aldi.com.au/

Motozone Wheel Clamp
# Fits most 13" to 15" wheels
# High quality lock
# Provides highly visible security
# Ideal for cars, caravans and trailers
# Easy fit

$ 39.99*
8-)

SgBFish
23-03-2006, 09:45 AM
Great idea until some B.... fills the lock with superglue.

fish2eat
23-03-2006, 10:31 AM
I think they'll sell heaps at that price.....maybe an extra spare key would be good as well. ;D

aussiefool
23-03-2006, 12:12 PM
If the scum have the time all they have to do is let down the trye and then remove the clamp :'(

fishingnottake
23-03-2006, 12:49 PM
if you have a gap in your wheel just run some deacent chain through the wheel and wrap it tight around the axel then padlock it hard upagainst the back of the wheel, it stops the wheel from being able to spin, and as long as you have it all tight and the padlock hard up against something it's a bitch to cut with bolt cutters

fisherman3
23-03-2006, 03:15 PM
I just use a trailer lock and have had no problems

Mr__Bean
23-03-2006, 04:43 PM
Bugger, check the fine print........

Only available at the Kearneys Spring and Clifford Gardens stores.

Damn good price for a wheel clamp.

- Darren

Freeeedom
23-03-2006, 04:49 PM
I don't know that you'll ever beat the scum that attack your car and trailer while you're out on the water. I've had my petrol tank siphoned out at leat three times, winch stolen from my trailer, various rollers stolen as well, so that now I will no longer leave my trailer at a boat ramp overnight. I now go out at 3 or 4 am and haven't had any losses since. In terms of losing the whole trailer (which is secured with a large padlock only) I now take the attitude "that's what insurance is for!" What else can you do? It's a sad comment on our society. Personally I'd be happy to join a group of volunteers (armed with baseball bats) to spend a few late hours at frequently attacked parking areas to 'remodel' the vehicles of those found breaking into vehicles or stealing trailers and/or parts. Sorry, I meant to say provide counselling to those poor disturbed, deprived, disadvantaged and discriminated individuals who steal from fishos cars and trailers (as long as the counselling is provided via a baseball bat!)
Cheers Freeeedom

The_Walrus
23-03-2006, 06:25 PM
I'm with you Freedom.

Also give them a treble supository ;D

A good physical massage would be beneficial for those scum.

Luc

staino
31-03-2006, 10:15 PM
Looks like good wheel clamp for not a lot of money hoges, wished I'd seen it before outlaying $200 for my "Klamp it" lock. I've had similar experiences to you freeeedom over the years but refuse to let the scum prevent me from doing what I enjoy most in life, fishing. I now try to think of as many security related issues as possible with vehicle/trailer parking at any boat ramp. I've seen the result of trailer theft twice at the mooney boat ramp on N.S.W. central coast (only use it 4-5 times a year, straight off the F3 freeway, dimly lit, no houses- BOATIES BEWARE) causing no end of pain for the victims - had to arrange for a mooring, miles away in cowan creek, get back to sydney & organise a temporary trailer just to get the boat back home, all at the ultra convenient time of SUNDAY on a LONG WEEKEND. Some measures I have taken with my new rig (4.1 poly on St George alloy trailer - $5K, include; trailer lock (talon), wheel clamp, 2 diifferent styles of wheel lock nuts, wire rope with shrouded padlocks around both the spare wheel & the winch post, stainless post torx or post hex security bolts to secure the winch & the hella led lights (another popular item for thieves) which are available singly from gosford bolts & bearings - 6mm about $3 each, I then put 2 nyloc nuts to back these up & also had St George make end caps for the box section - to prevent access to the nuts, securing them with 2 more security bolts. I have also used the security bolts & 6mm alloy plate to cover the filler cap of our ford, which used to get syphoned regularly in our own driveway! this was the drastic measure taken after a locking cap did not stop them. It was a bit tricky to fit but worth it for the fuel savings! These measures may seem excessive to some people but they give me a little bit of peace of mind & I like the thought of making it hard for the thieving mongrel bastards. I hope that sharing these ideas may help other boaties from becoming victims. Lastly, I am available to join your group of volunteers freeeedom, to give the type of "counselling" you suggest, to those in our society who obviously need it the most, along with my baseball bat may I also bring my 50cm piece of sharpened 8mm staino rod I normally use as a crab stabber?
cheers & tight lines, staino