PDA

View Full Version : What's the best rust proofing solution????

mark221263
01-04-2006, 09:01 AM
What has anyone found to work well as a rust proofing solution for trailers in good nick????

I've used a solution of 1 part lanoline grease with 4 parts turps and applied every year to my trailer since new. The turps evaporates and leave a thin film of lanoline.

Seems to work well but can be a bit greasy and always looks dirty.

What are the other options that people have had good success with????

::)

dnej
01-04-2006, 09:39 AM
You are doing one of the best ones. Forget what it looks like,it will pressure clean off, if you sell it. Just make sure you dont put your trailer away wet, take it for a drive up the road, after wash down
David

The_Walrus
01-04-2006, 06:12 PM
Fish fresh water only.

Luc

onerabbit
01-04-2006, 11:11 PM
If the salt cant reach the metal...........you shouldnt get rust.

I painted my trailer , several coats , & fishoil every 6-8 weeks.

Muzz

snappa
02-04-2006, 12:01 AM
inox..all over
or
i use peanut oil
or
both

johnnytheone
02-04-2006, 11:33 AM
Gotta be fish oil. Very cheap, lasts, and works.

billfisher
02-04-2006, 11:38 AM
A Valvoline product called Tectyl is the best by far. Unlike lanolin or fish oil is doesn't break down and wash off easily. It will last for at least a year and does not leave a sticky film like the others.

nigelr
02-04-2006, 12:18 PM
I use X-Troll on my Landie, which does a lot of beach work. I spray her once a year, there is a black over-coat produced by the same mob that I also use, paint over the X-Troll with it. This combination is the best I've used.
If your trailor is box-section steel, no matter what you use, if salt water gets into the box sections she'll rust from the inside out unless you spray inside as well, or totally block any entry points.
Good luck mate, my trailors gal, worth the $$$$$$ for ease of maintainance, IMO. Might be worth your while to get a quote for sandblasting and hot dipping, if your trailor is in good nick.
Cheers.