PDA

View Full Version : Honda BF135 and 150

Lobster48
29-03-2006, 04:45 PM
I am in the process of buying a new boat (see JBS thread) and looking at the motor I throw on the back. JBS initially recommended and quoted a Suzuki 140. My current boat has a Honda and I am a self confessed Honda nut (lawn mower, gernerator, brushcutter all honda...nevera problem).

As a result I am moving towards yet another Honda but am not sure if a 135 or 150. I believe they are exactly the same motor with the same features except the 150 has the VTEC active where the 135 has the VTEC earth wire removed and the Computer Control Unit replaced. If this is the case it is possible to have the VTEC activiated on the 135 at a later stage if needed?

Has anyone had any experience with the 135. If a Suzuki 140 would push the new boat I can't see why that there would be a dramatic drop in performance with the 135 Honda with its bigger displacement...any thoughts? I spoke to my local Honda dealer and he surprising focussed me in direction of the cheaper 135 over the more expensive 150 (what the?). His thought was that the VTEC provided a greater mid range only and that this is more appropriate to high performance craft over a fishing vessel. He stated that the increased displacement of the de-rated 135 is a better option than the Suzuki 140 which is a 2lt engine at the upper end of its capability.

The main issue as always is cost vs performance. The money saved will assist in a better electronics package...but I still do not want to be wallowing around the ocean in an under powered boat.

Any thoughts on this issue would be greatly appreciated. You don't get to custom a boat very often, especially on my wage, so I relly need to get it right.

Cheers

Lobster

Spaniard_King
29-03-2006, 08:20 PM
Lobster,

your dealer is pointing you down the right path. Without starting a war I have herd of botht he 140 S and the 135 H being trialed on the same hull with the 135 being quite a superior performing outboard. V-tec is not fitted to the 135 and l believe its a bit more than a computor and earth wire to activate.

cheers

Garry

Lobster48
29-03-2006, 09:11 PM
Cheers Garry,

You would think the differences would be greater than that but that was stated on a US web site I was reading.

I am definately going to go with the Honda it is just the choice between the two.

Lobster 8-)

shonkyshaun
30-03-2006, 12:57 AM
what size is the boat i have a 6.4noble centre cab 130hp on the back it is a little under powered but you will never get a better motor great fuel but i love the power also your choise

joey_1987
30-03-2006, 09:27 AM
Hey, in this power bracket I would have to say the Yamaha F150 would be my choice. Have a read of this http://boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/portal/alias__boatpointau/tabID__200859/ArticleID__119089/DesktopDefault.aspx. There is also an article on the Suzuki 140 and Honda 135 too. The honda and yammie are both excellent engines, but don't discount something different which may suit your needs better. Joey.

gif
30-03-2006, 09:59 AM
Hi

I did some checking on this #- because I am doing some research work on outboards at the moment.

The BF135 does not have V-Tech at all, the difference is in the cylinder heads, rockers & camshaft. there is also as stated a ECM difference. both engines have unique features:

Duel stage induction (variable air induction).
• Lean burn feedback (adjust air fuel mix to boat load creating better fuel consumption by up to 20%).
• 3 way cooling (precise cooling to generate motor power).
• BF150 has of course formula 1 racing technology VTECH which in a nut shell delivers more precise power and working with duel stage induction produces a longer, flatter torque profile

Emissions

The actual emission numbers from the USA #EPA database are :

# Certification Levels
Manufacturer Cycle HC+NOX CO Fuel Sys
Honda Motor Co., Ltd. 4 Stroke 14.12 80.92 Direct Injection
ADVERTISER x 2 Stroke 27.05 123.81 Direct Injection

Actually I checked the whole HP category #- the Honda is the cleanest available.

Lobster48
30-03-2006, 10:45 AM
Joey,

had a look at the 150 Yammie more bucks and a lot of noise about gearcase problems on them. Also they are pretty basic technology...just my opinion and what I have heard...also heard people rave about them...pretty typical scenario I think.

Gary,

Interested to hear you opinion that the 135 does not have the VTEC workings fitted at all. May have to call Honda and re-check that one.

ShonkeyShaun,

The boat I am putting it on is JBS 6.0m Centre Cab. Should be a bit lighter than your Noble and only a 15% dadrise to plane onto. Sounds like the 135 should do the job if a 130 gets yours up. Might be a matter of careful propping.

Cheers all. Interesting to see what other info we get.

Lobster

Spaniard_King
30-03-2006, 06:57 PM
Lobster,

The v-tec solenoid is a different one ( I guess the 135 is a dummy one)

Garry F

The 135 and150 Cylinder heads both share the same part Number so how do they differ but you are right the inlet cams are different.

Garry

dfox
30-03-2006, 07:22 PM
My understanding of this is limited, but what i gather is that the vtec only really comes into effect in the very upper revs.
If this is the case the engines would perform nearly the same at lower and more to the point the mid range working revs.
Still with my limited understanding of these engines id say that if 135hp is enough power for the job the only gain by having the 150 is when i come up along side you on the way home for a race. If this is the only benifate of the 150 over the 135 and the price difference is quite substantial then the 135 it is!
As a general rule we all know its always better to have power up your sleeve ,but these engines dont seem to be all that different apart from the last few hundred revs, and if you need them for an emergency then the boats underpowered...

Lobster48
30-03-2006, 09:02 PM
dfox,

From what I have seen of the power curves and read the VTEC cuts in at 4500. If the boat is propped right you should be pulling about 25 - 30kts at those revs. Have to be a pretty good day to come home from offshore above that anyway.

Makes sense then that the dealer said the VTEC is better fpr performance craft...ski boats would need that as well as some of the bigger Bass boats etc on the inland waterways.

Looks like the 135 will be the best option.

Cheers again. :)

Drunken_Pirate
31-03-2006, 11:40 AM
Hi all

I have just ordered a Mustang Bluewater 2000 (6.2M) with a 140hp fourstroke Suzuki. All reports are that is more than adequate.

I have only had a test run with a 175hp Suzuki fitted and that went extremely well. Before they released the 175 they all used to be sold with 140hp.

I would go for the 175hp but the extra ~$4000 has put me off. Also it is questionable how many times you will really need that extra HP and the extra cost of fuel that goes along with it????

Broome_Fisho
31-03-2006, 02:11 PM
Hi Lobster, I got a 150 Honda on the back of our Sea Jay Haven centre console, and bought it from Byron Hazell up there in Darwin, had the option of the 135 or the 150 v tec, glad we took the 150 great motor , plenty of power, took a bit to get it propped right though, now got a solas HR Titain S/S , more than enough get up ang go, and easy to get on the plane.
Don't hear or see any Sea Jays in our country in the Kimberley, wondering if any Ausfishos have got one and what they think of it!!!
I'm new on here and reckon this is a great sight!!

Hope to see some of you over here in Gods Country!!!!

Happy_Man
31-03-2006, 11:40 PM
Gee the Suzuki 140s have proven to be bullet proof worldwide as far as I can see on the web so I doubt the Honda would be that much better so thats a good bit of selling to get you to believe that. Both good donks though. What do the Hondas weigh as they are a big engine ? The zukes are best in their class for power to weight and should be cheaper than Hondas. $$$ for electrics maybe there. Check out Iboats to see what probs are happening with both.

Heard the Honda support here in Australia is not real flash (head office not dealers) and all the VMRs/CG are changing over to Suzukis so that is food for thought - you wont go wrong with either so good luck and enjoy.

Lobster48
02-04-2006, 12:45 PM
Broome Fisho,

Nice looking Rig. I have had a look at those at Byron's place. Not a bad boat by the looks of the them. Is the ride as good as Byron says?

Thanks for the info on your 150. I see that you have a 5.9 metre...does it seem a bit overpowered or fell just right.

Also will you be fishing the Sailfish calssic in Jul? If so we will have to catch up[ and compare motors as I will be over from Darwin. By the way that launch site looks very familiar!

Cheers

Lobster

Lobster48
02-04-2006, 07:43 PM
Hey guys,

I have done some more searching re the whole VTEC issue between the 135 and the 150.

Boatpoint have done an engine test on the 150 and within the test it states :

'Incidentally, the only difference between the BF150 and then equally-new BF135 (both are based on the 2.4lt block) is that the latter doesn't have the ground wire hooked up to the VTEC spool valve, or the ECU mapping to control the variable valve timing.'

This is what I was told previously...could this in fact be true. Will send a letter to Honda asking if this is the case.

Interesting heh?

Lobster

gif
03-04-2006, 10:15 PM
Suzuki had won the VMR business it seems and I just read that Honda won the Coast Guard fleet.

I suppose that the interesting part is that both have gone for four strokes

Gary

PS not sure about the Boatpoint quote - I will dig further

Splash
04-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Hi Team.

Lobster48 raised this post early 2006 (whether or not the BF135 HP had VTEC).

I was hoping that 2007 models were different and contained the VTEC (BF135) - looks like they still don't :-(

Here are some key points raised in this thread :
- Inlet cams are different (to BF150).
- The VTEC cuts in at 4500.
- VTEC is better for performance craft
- Both BF135 and BF150 are based on the 2.4lt block.
- The BF135 does not have the ground wire hooked up to the VTEC spool valve, or the ECU mapping to control the variable valve timing.

My questions
- Main benefit of VTEC?
- Could I upgrade to BF150 specs (to include VTEC) with BF135 donk later if I wanted to?
- Wonder why VTEC was not included in the BF135?

Splash

sid_fishes
04-11-2007, 07:07 PM
really, mate i heard that the vmr at the seaway just brought a new cat with yammies on it, sid

sid_fishes
04-11-2007, 07:08 PM
and i must ask who the #### is gif???

Splash
04-11-2007, 09:16 PM
what is vmr and yeah who is 'gif'?

disorderly
04-11-2007, 09:19 PM
what is vmr and yeah who is 'gif'?

Splash,

vmr are the blokes that will tow you home when your Honda breaks downhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

disorderly
04-11-2007, 09:21 PM
sorry mate, they are the volunteer marine rescue.

Splash
04-11-2007, 11:19 PM
Thanks DIsordely, good one! :-))

What donk do u have and why?

SPlash

disorderly
04-11-2007, 11:29 PM
Thanks DIsordely, good one! :-))

What donk do u have and why?

SPlash

I have an E-Tec,splash.
I only really bought it cause I like to see the envious looks on the 4 stroke owners faces.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif