PDA

View Full Version : That's Boating I guess

Scalem
01-04-2006, 09:44 PM
I think boat owners become immune to dissappointments over the years. Today was another one of those "hard Luck" stories life seems to throw this boat owner once in a while :'(

I have been slowly working toward getting a Saturday free to round up a few Banana prawns, so this morning was the 1st chance I have had...... Until I tried to trim the motor up to get it ready for the short journey down to the ramp. hhhmmmm... the trim sounds as if the batteries are flat, it seems to be struggling.... oooohhhh buggar!! There's smoke coming up from the trim and tilt motor...

Of course nobody has the part in stock on a Saturday do they?? It's been ordered, so some time Monday it will be in. When I told my wife the good news about the fantastic deal I got for a generic part, and how much less it is compared to the original, the response was " Oh well, that's boating I guess." Even she has become aquainted with the unlimited costs involved with boating, but do you think she could show a little more interest?? Lesson learned, next time she says she bought a new dress on special, I will listen with 100% focus, and I will not think it was too much money to spend for a moment!!! ;D I praise her understanding, she didn't flinch when I told her $500.00 to get it fixed.

I am sure heaps of people have similar stories, if I can't get this boat wet soon I will go stir crazy!!

Scalem

Streetkid
02-04-2006, 07:50 AM
I know exactly how you feel, the partner of my long time fishing mate used to always joke when we were going fishing "why dont you guys just throw a hand full of cash out on the street and stay home and save yourselves the time and effort?" she just didnt understand.

wayne_cook
02-04-2006, 11:12 AM
ah! yes I remember one time when I was leaving to go fishing one mourning with a friend.He noticed my better half standing out in the front yard with 2 fingers pointing skywarrd yelling something. He said whats she saying. I replied have a great day and bring me back 2 fish and lets get ou of here.
It's nice to have a understanding missus!

BAIT_MAN
02-04-2006, 12:19 PM
What does the word BOAT stand for.

Bring
Out
Another
Thousand

Or as my wife would say " A hole in the ocean that you pour money into" ::)

PinHead
02-04-2006, 12:27 PM
LOL...I just got a partial service done...$650.00.
Anti foul the legs - $600.00
Top up the fuel tank - $250.00

Berthing rental..$4200/annum

and on and on it goes..but who cares...the enjoyment of it all is worth every cent.

familyman
02-04-2006, 02:55 PM
Imagine if we were racing yachts like the sydney to hobart,I've heard it said that it's standing in a cold shower tearing up $100- notes :o
Any breaks in cost I get I'll accept gratefully thank you very much.
cheers jon

Scalem
02-04-2006, 05:22 PM
Wow, I got off lightly! I think anything "Marine" you add about 50%. What price do you put on the enjoyment of getting out on the water?? Since I bought the boat around 15 years ago, I have probably spent about tripple what she is worth ( the boat I mean, I could not possibly be talking about anything else LOL) but had years and years of enjoyment.

Scalem

insideout
02-04-2006, 05:38 PM
Fishing is definately more expensive than any other "addiction" that i know of ;) ;) ;)

finga64
02-04-2006, 08:36 PM
Gees I'm glad we didn't take my boat Brian. With your luck??? :'(
Thinking about we wouldn't have had that problem with "Junior"....no tilt or trim ;)
You should have called me to have a gander??
What was actually crook??
Poor Lesley, no new dresses for another 6 months..... and there goes the kids lunches for another month.
And you have to look on the bright side....that's something else you won't have to replace for awhile ;)
Cheers Scott

Scalem
02-04-2006, 08:55 PM
Hi Finga,

Another shonky installation from what was supposed to be a new Trim and Tilt motor 2 years ago. We found the wiring had been pinched which shorted (earthed) the motor out. Frazzled big time, we pulled the whole thing apart but could not get any life back into her.. I thought fuses were supposed to prevent this sort of thing >:( Fair dinkum, after finding the wrong plugs were the reason the motor was so hard to tune, now this???

We should have taken Junior mate, but I rather this happened now than out on the water out the middle of nowhere.... At least I have become more familiar with the manual release of the Jonno :D

The kids won't starve, but my lunch money is gone!! I will have to brown bag it for the next six months for sure! Better take Junior prawning too, I can shout the fuel costs, that's easy! (by comparison)

Scalem

gogecko
03-04-2006, 11:58 AM
Hi Scalem,
yeah my wife is like yours. Shes very understanding."Another $500 on the boat? It would be worth it if you brought back fish more often." Ouch.

There are more expensive addictions. I lost 30k on the options market in 6 mths.

Andrew

gogecko
03-04-2006, 12:02 PM
I was talking to my mate at Riviera yesterday. They sent a boat to Sydney for the boat show. They gave it $11,000 worth of fuel at Coomera, and it had run out of fuel by Port Macquirie.

They reckon boat sales are slowing down with the rise in oil costs worldwide. Im not suprised.

Hows that for running costs? Arent you glad you have a small boat?

Andrew

Scalem
03-04-2006, 08:52 PM
Gidday Andrew,

The wives love the Sarcasm about the fishing don't they, God bless 'em! "You won't catch any prawns, there's none left!" She was right, because I didn't even get to the water!! ;D

11K to Coffs? I can't imagine that, my carbie 2 stroke is a "little" more economical than that. I had a call back from my mobile Marine mechanic ( he was not contactable on Saturday) and at least I have the satisfaction of knowing the work I have done on it so far is exactly correct. Part didn't come in today, so hopefully tomorrow.

Brian

spuderico
03-04-2006, 11:21 PM
I took the family out on the water Sunday PM about four :). Chucked the anvil over and proceeded to give the kids a casting and retrievel lesson and hoped to jag a scaley critter at the same time. As it got dark the youngest fella insisted on turning on the anchor light. Soooo after throwin every switch on the panel and discovering it was the wrongin we settled down again. Until it was time to pack up and head in.......................Click...click............ .Ahhh uh oh :-/ the ol battery has had the gong. Bloody great...I knew all that friggin about would drain the battery >:( With some further buggerisin around I discovered the throttle wasn't in neutral properly :-[ How embarrasement!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

spuderico
03-04-2006, 11:24 PM
When I got up this AM to flush the motar. Click.... click... Battery dead as a DoDo... This time for real..

Not cheap are they lads!