PDA

View Full Version : floor "soft" in runabout

hero
03-04-2006, 10:11 AM
The floor in my sportsmancraft runabout moves when you walk on it, feels too thin by far.I want to lay something under the carpet over the floor to make it a bit more solid.Ply is ok, but would like to keep the weight down, is there someting else I could use to lay on the floor under the carpet to make it more sturdy to walk on.

blaze
03-04-2006, 11:26 AM
firstly is it a glass boat
cheers
blaze

finga64
03-04-2006, 03:43 PM
Doesn't sound good if it's glass :'(
Where are you hero? Someone from here may be able to have a gander for you or know someone who can.

Blackened
03-04-2006, 04:39 PM
G'day
Well if it's a ply floor in a pressed tinny then just brace the floor from underneath and add some heavier ply. If it's a glass boat well... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Dave

hero
03-04-2006, 04:48 PM
Floor is glass......

hero
03-04-2006, 04:49 PM
Boat is glass...........

blaze
03-04-2006, 05:09 PM
ok here lies the problem.
firstly dont mask the problem as you may well have strucual issues under the floor that will deem the boat unsafe.
if you are very lucky it maybe the floor will be need to be removed then the strucual intregritee of the stringers and bulkheads checked and floor replaced.
but from my limited experience if the floor is soft the stringers and bulheads will require repacement and more than likely if the transom has not been done before it will also show signs of failure.
sorry to be a bearer of bad news, maybe you could PM member grand -marlin for a personal assessment
cheers
blaze

MulletMan
03-04-2006, 05:19 PM
Reckon unfortunately Blaze is right!
Had the same once in a ski boat in PNG and found the marine ply all rotted out.
Had a ton of fun cutting the old one out, new stringers and relaying and fibreglassing it all again.
Can be done by you if you can handle a grinder but might be looking at a pro - big bucks I would imagibe.
Bumma!

hero
03-04-2006, 06:07 PM
Not the news I wanted to hear, after Saturday I will be 24 million dollars richer anyway after Lotto.....will be able to afford to have it done professionally....gulp

blaze
03-04-2006, 07:57 PM
If you are little handy Hero it can be a good project, have a look at some of the other projects that have been taken one by some members. There is a lot of online help about
cheers
blaze

Scalem
03-04-2006, 09:01 PM
Hi Hero,

I can recommend a course of action, if not the right people for the job. My old Mustang was very thin in the floor, and when it came time to replace the motor, the guys said the transom was dodgy. If you are worried, PM me and I can get you the details of where I had work done, but they will 1st offer to cut an inspection hole in the floor to see what underneath is like. Fortunately it was only the floor and transom, the stringers were strong as...

Scalem

SO70
03-04-2006, 10:22 PM
if you're handy with a 4" angle grinder equipped witha diamond blade,
cut a section of the floor out yourself and investigate.
i've hacked up a couple of fibreglass boats and its easy as.
if i was near you id do it for you.

revs57
04-04-2006, 07:09 AM
G'day Hero,

Blaze is understating his experience mate, he's the guru and really knows what he's talking about having just rebuilt his old girl after an horrific experience off the top of a huge wave that broke her back...maybe we should fly him up for a consultancy on the project???

If it was alloy I could help but I have no experience with glass

Good luck

Rhys

onerabbit
04-04-2006, 10:44 AM
I went through this about 12mnths ago, the floor was getting soft in places & the transom was suffering. I had a local company do the job, was too much for me to take on.
The original stringers were good & were reinforced with more glass, eveything above was replaced as well as the transom. Cost $3k.
Now she's very solid, & the extra weight has improved handling heaps.

Muzz