PDA

View Full Version : Commander Cat 5.9 offshore

shark_bait
30-03-2006, 09:24 PM
COMMANDER CAT #OFFSHORE # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # Hi all ,i m looking at upsizing my current 4.45m quintrex,and have been looking at a cat in the 6m range. While scanning through boatpoint site i came across a Commander cat 5.9m offshore built on the gold coast # brand new # 2 # #90 hp suziki 4strokes for #$75 000. #Looking for any info , good or bad as the price is attractive,compared to kevla cat etc of the same size.It looks good , but sometimes looks can be decieving.

youngfisho
31-03-2006, 01:41 AM
take it for a run and see whether you like the boat. maybe get in contact with the owner of the company and see if he can give you any info. from what ive seen they seem to have a pretty reasonable build quality but having never been in one cant comment on how well they ride.

andrew

kevlacat
31-03-2006, 02:08 AM
Shanet,
I can highly recommend the Cats as a sensational performing hull going with my personal experience with my 6.2 kevlacat with twin 115hp Yamaha Oceanpro’s.
Do not skimp on the power, Cats thrive on it to get the best performance out of there hulls

Regards

Steve

shark_bait
31-03-2006, 07:07 AM
Thanks guys, you're right you must give any boat a good testing before even thinking about buying.Im just trying to get answers as to why they're a fair bit cheaper than other cats the same size and also how long they've been around for. For me to spend that much money i need to know it'll last a long time without major problems.

flatstrap
31-03-2006, 09:10 AM
For a Cat of that size, and assuming that its weight is comparable non Kevlar Cats, I would say that it would probably be better outfit if it was powered by twin 115's. I'm on my fourth cat and I have learned something over the long period of ownership.
As Dr. Phil says, I would never substitute my opinion for yours, but just consider mine when you weigh up all the variables.

Regards, Flatstrap

fly_1
31-03-2006, 06:08 PM
I took the boat for a test ride about 8mths ago. It was the very first boat out of the moulds, and it was powered by suzuki 90s. They were more than enough power for the boat. ( I currently own a kevlacat ) and although I agree you never want to under power a cat, you do have to watch over powering them. I found out that the current makers bought the old moulds and are redoing them under the commander cat badge. To answer your questions, yes it rode well, the 90s were more than enough power, and it seemed to be reasonably well put together. I decided not to go ahead with it, and bought another kevlacat instead. ( it suited my needs better). Overall, for the price, it seemed ok, and as they are trying to get a few out and about, you could probably do a reasonably good deal.

TheDeepSix
31-03-2006, 11:12 PM
shanet

Do they have a web site yet, wouldn't mind checking them out,

Thanks

Tiga

shark_bait
01-04-2006, 08:07 AM
fly- 1 do you know who they bought the old moulds off as a matter of interest, to get a bit of an idea of the boats history.you ended up opting for the kevlacat, was the performance better or did you prefer to go with the tried and tested ,as the price difference is an important issue with me . flyin tiger i haven't found a web site as yet but go to boatpoint look under boats for sale and go to multi hull and you can check it out.thanks for the feedback as any info will help.

Smithy
04-04-2006, 07:36 PM
Greg Murphy was the original boat builder on the Gold Coast. He was calling them Ambitions. Mates have one with twin 75 Hondas. It has been for sale on here before. The new owners of the mould are a young couple but Greg is in with them. Originally it is a NZ design used by their pros over there. Found a link to one on NZ boatpoint once. For the Aussie one they change the gunnels and things a bit to make them a bit more fancy. Only problem is they have lower sponsons than say a Kevlacat. Idling in short sharp seas it can dip the nose into them and you wear a lap full of water. Go for the bow rail and put spray dodgers on and you will alleviate that problem to an extent. They slightly out perform a 5.2 Kevlacat based on their extra length I guess. At the Sanctuary Cove Boat Show they were doing a deal the same as you are talking about for $65 with everything and some electronics. I believe they jumped straight up into the $80K range for the Brissy show. Capatilising on Kevlacats being into the $100K range I guess.

Smithy
04-04-2006, 07:52 PM
Just had a look at it on Boatpoint. Binnacle controls will be better than ones on the sides. The boys with the Hondas hate it like that. Good points over the Kelvacat 5.2 are you can actually overnight in it laying east-west and not down the sides of the sponson like a 5.2. Also remember these things are made out of high tech composite stuff so they are heaps lighter than a glass boat. A 6.2 Kevla is bigger and therefore heavier so does got better with 115-140s. 75s are touch and go for power on this 5.9 but 90s should do the job. Do a search on this site for mentions of Ambition or Two Up in posts by me and you should find a bit of info.