PDA

View Full Version : How do you anchor from the cockpit

whichway
20-03-2006, 07:02 PM
Hi

I have read about anchoring from the cockpit with all the rope in a nally bin. Do you need a walk around layout to run the anchor rope out through the bow.

Thanks

Whichway

dicko1980
20-03-2006, 07:49 PM
No, you can anchor from a tiller steer or side console the same way, I have a mate who is a ex trout skipper and fisherman and told me that all the anchoring those guys do is from a seated position, so as to not stress their back out standing up setting and retrieving the anchor when bommie hopping for weeks at a time, all anchoring is done sitting down and all anchor retreival is by a float.

griz066
20-03-2006, 08:31 PM
Went on a charter once where the skippa didn't have a deckie to help him anchor and didn't need one either, (7Mtr custom buile charter boat)

His anchor rope was stored in a large drum behind his seat, both ends of the rope were in this drum, the rope run to the bow and through the doova there :-? and back to the drum.

When anchoring he just threw the anchor out the side took up the chain slack as normal, then let out required rope and tied of on bollard on side near the rope drum, leaving exces rope in drum.

When raising anchor he simply drove around parralel to the rope being carefull not to go too close at the stern for obvious reasons, using a boat hook we grabed the line and attached a float and he motored away till the anchor was up under the float.

Then he proceeded to pull the rope in to the storage drum.

I can't remember exactly what the rope ran through at the bow but it was able to keep the rope straight out the front of the boat either way the wind and run was hanging us.

seatime
20-03-2006, 09:37 PM
Try making up a heavy line long enough to attach an eye on the bow and an eye to reach around into the cockpit. On this fix a float on a short lanyard or retrieval buoy. Keep ur anchor and line in the nally bin and move it between the cockpit and bow when u like.
When u wish to anchor from the cockpit tie off to the floated buoy and fall back onto the heavy line with float attached by an eye to the bowsprit. When retrieving motor up to the buoy and pull anchor onboard.
Tied off with a bowline-on-a-bight it can be released easily.

dnej
21-03-2006, 09:35 AM
A variation to the spliced line idea.
Run a rope from the bow to the cockpit, or side of the boat.

This rope has an eye spliced both ends.

One end for the bow bollard, and the other (to tie off the anchor), inside the cabin.

keep the cabin end of the rope,in the cabin,along with the anchor and anchor chain etc in the boat .

Run the anchor rope, through the eye,

Release the anchor as normal

Tie off the anchor rope to the eye with a bowline,

keep the balance of the anchor rope , in the boat, to use to recover the anchor.

Now your anchor operates in the normal manner from the bow.
David

Tony_N
21-03-2006, 02:40 PM
Simpler still - If you fish in roughly the same depth of water all the time - give or take 10 or even 20 meters, you just need to tie off your anchor at the bow bollard with the appropriate amount of line to the anchor. Drop anchor from the side, retrieve by using gaff/dan buoy, but when anchor is at the surface and before you retrieve the line, #tie anchor rope to side bollard to stop the rope (the short distance between the bow and the nally bin) falling into the water. Undo from side bollard when anchor is dropped again.

Judging the distance to drop the anchor from the mark is made simpler by getting used to #the zoom on your GPS

Modified:

Having said that I have just reread what David (dnej) has described and I do like the simplicity of the technique It gives you more flexibility. I reckon I'll try it.

Tony

dnej
21-03-2006, 03:39 PM
Gidday Tony,
That will cost you a beer
David

pirate_pete
21-03-2006, 05:01 PM
Having a low profile cuddy cab, I found it a pain to get up through the front hatch, (not being a small person) also a bit dangerous in rough water, so I came up with a rig that I find works well for me. I have a rope attatched to the front bollard at the end of the rope approx 3 mts I have a stainless snap catch that is just long enough to reach a rod holder on the side of the cabin beside helm position. I have rope 150mts chain and anchor in nally bin.
I throw anchor in and when it has bitten I tie a loop in the main anchor line and attatch it to the snap catch then feed it out with end of rope still in bin in cockpit, when finished all I do is pull in the rope undo the snap catch #then retrieve rest of line. I will see if I can take some photos and post them.
After using this rig for a while I have included in a rubber mooring ring and it takes the shock a lot better.# #

dnej
21-03-2006, 05:34 PM
Pete, that is exactly what I was saying, except you use a fitting, and I use a spliced eye.

I dont have to put a loop in the rope, but rather do a bowline, with the anchor rope doubled, so as to not have to drag the rope, all the way through the eye.

Come to think of it, a stainless climbing link, would be great.
David

angler
21-03-2006, 06:26 PM
any chance of some sketches please would be a big help thanks folk
john

pirate_pete
21-03-2006, 07:24 PM
I just went to gat the camera and the Batts were flat #[smiley=angryfire.gif].
I now have them on charge and will post some pics tomorrow

Pete

Tony_N
22-03-2006, 04:34 AM
Come to think of it, a stainless climbing link, would be great.
David

So David - does that mean that you owe Pete a beer, and since i owe you a beer, would it be easier if i shouted Pete the beer? Just to complicate the issue I need to ask: Isn't the bowline a loop and don't you put that loop through the splice in the same way that Pete ties a loop for his snap catch. Also How easy is it to untie these loops in the anchor rope each time you up anchor? Can you expand on the climbing link a bit?

Now how many beers is that I owe, and who to?

Tony

Smithy
22-03-2006, 06:53 AM
Have a look at this thread.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1127299299/16#16

dnej
22-03-2006, 09:34 AM
Tony,
My eye is spliced,and permanent.

You can have a fair length of rope left as a tail end, still in the cabin.

You dont want to drag the rope all the way through the eye, so the rope gets doubled, and a bowline tied in the normal way,with double rope.

Petes idea, means you could snap the fitting over the rope ( replacing the fixed eye), and then tie the bowline, with a single thickness.

A bowline knot, was designed so that it can be easily pulled apart, even with pressure.

About the beer, you owe me,and Pete hasnt made a claim yet, so no you dont owe Pete,---YET. LOL
David

Tony_N
22-03-2006, 05:21 PM
Ok David I concede #I am slow (I am also very poor because life costs me so many beers) - but would your doubled bowline look anything like the pic below with the double loop at the bottom going through the spliced loop and the two ropes coming out of the top of the knot in the pic going 1 to the anchor and the other to your surplus rope coil?

Tony

dnej
22-03-2006, 07:08 PM
Looking good.
Regards David

seatime
22-03-2006, 07:22 PM
Tony_N

That is a "bowline on a bight". regards Steve.

Tony_N
22-03-2006, 08:50 PM
OK many thanks - I'll splice up a bit of rope and give this a run - Haven't yet got my head around smithy's setup - but will look at this again. I have lost count of the times that I've wrapped a mackerel around the anchor rope. Thankfully I fish for mackerel with mono and haven't cut an anchor rope - or even lost a fish to the rope - yet.

Tony

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
22-03-2006, 08:59 PM
It is a good technique to use, and if you are in an open boat in reasonably calm water you can tie the end of the anchor rope off to the stern. This will 'bridle' the boat. In other words, you are anchored side on, and this can sometimes be handy if there are 3 or 4 fishing. Definitely not adviseable in a decent swell.

Cheers
Dave

Tony_N
22-03-2006, 09:23 PM
gelsec

Just looked up "bowline on the bight" and that looks more like an end loop to me #- its certainly different to the knot I posted and if you pull the two end lines , it slips. #Hoping that you are talking about a different knot to the one that dnej is using and that I thought I had mastered.

Tony

seatime
23-03-2006, 06:43 AM
Tony_N

The bowline on a bight I was taught and used many times is made by taking a loop or bight out of a lenght of line and tying a bowline with the loop. That's what your illustration looks like to me. The end result shouldn't slip or lock up.
But then there may be variations depending on which country u are in. We were taught basically British Board of Trade knots. cheers

Tony_N
23-03-2006, 07:22 AM
Yeh Steve #- you get that. #The one I saw
<http://www.iland.net/~jbritton/bowlineonabight.htm>
ended up like the pic below. #Works great as an end loop but not as a side loop

Cheers

Tony

pirate_pete
03-04-2006, 10:46 AM
Sorry its been a while the Computer crashed, start off with a length of rope. I have 15mts. Put a knotted loop in at about the 10mt

pirate_pete
03-04-2006, 10:49 AM
Put the loop over your bollard, the long length becomes your Bow line

pirate_pete
03-04-2006, 10:52 AM
in the smaller length tie a normal bowline through one end of mooring springer

pirate_pete
03-04-2006, 10:54 AM
Allow 1 1/2 times the length of the springer and tie a second bowline this time going through both the springer and the spring clip

pirate_pete
03-04-2006, 10:55 AM
close up of the clip

pirate_pete
03-04-2006, 10:58 AM
the extra length of rope between the ends of the springer allows a shock absorber effect and the added bonus that if the springer breaks you still have have a connection with your anchor. I then clip it to the external rod holder beside the helm

pirate_pete
03-04-2006, 11:04 AM
When I get to my spot I feed the anchor over the side and attach it to the clip. I use a knot called an Alpine Butterfly it is knot that has good strength and once mastered easy to tie and undo. Then pay the line out and when ready to retrieve pull on the rope and then undo the clip etc. I hope I have explained it clear enough, I think the pics will help.

pirate_pete
03-04-2006, 06:18 PM
Try this link for the Alpine Butterfly

http://www.une.edu.au/unemc/alpbutt.htm

Pete

Burley_Boy
04-04-2006, 08:13 PM
Thanks Pete & David, I'll give that a shot too.
:)