PDA

View Full Version : Condition of stringers under floor in older f/glas

fender202
04-04-2006, 08:50 PM
Had a bit of an encounter with possible rot in the transom of my Nova 4.7m Fibreglass half cabin, about 1978 and seems to be a common failing of an older glass boat. Have no real reason to worry, like the floor seems nice and solid and I'm tld if there is any rot under the floor normall the hull will start twisting, gel coat cracking etc. I would like to be as pro active as possible though. I always tilt the boat as far back as possible after a trip to drain any water out, even though it's normally pretty dry. There is only one bung at the back in the concealed area under the floor. Is there anything I can do to increase the airflow under the floor without harming the integrity of the floatation? Appreciate any advice

Fishin_Dan
04-04-2006, 09:29 PM
You can get a couple of the sealed "inspection hatches". All the chandleries have them, and they're pretty cheap.

Cut the hole big enough in the floor, then mount & screw (& sikaflex probably) the hatches in. You can then open them to check for water under the floor, as well as air it out a bit better.

I'll be installing a few when I put my floors into my boat. I only want to replace the floor this time! ::)