PDA

View Full Version : Drying out transom

fender202
04-04-2006, 08:44 PM
HI, I have a 4.7m Nova half cab Fibreglass. Probably late 70's, early 80's. There was some cracking at the top of the transom and water had seeped in to the timber. I had it completely checked for rot, sealed and repaired and was told the transom was still solid and all ok. I drilled some holes through the transom the other day to install a ladder and noticed the sawdust coming out still seemed a bit damp, about a month after the repair. The repairer had heaters on the timber for about a week and thought he dried it out pretty well. Was wondering if I should take some further action somehow? Don't know how because it's all sealed up apart from the bung at the bottom but it's through the timber anyway and all sealed. Will it eventually dry out by itself with out the air getting to it or?? ANy ideas appreciated?

MulletMan
04-04-2006, 10:58 PM
Only FRESH water causes transom rot, salt water has no real effect on the timber but still not good to have it there nonetheless. So, if it is fresh water then you are going to get some major rot in there.
PM Grand_Marlin as he is the Ausfish Guru on this sort of thing.