PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on wiring electric winch ta

fender202
04-04-2006, 08:20 PM
Hi, thinking about installing an electric winch on my boat trailer but don't really know where to start. I'm an electrician, not that it helps me much with DC! but I do appreciate the current draw required and the need for this to be done properly. Do you just run welding type cables straight off the battery terminals to a socket down the back, obviously via a fuse or something? I have a 99 model Jackeroo.
Any help appreciated

Heath
04-04-2006, 11:14 PM
Crickey Fender202!! :-/

I have a 2002 Jackaroo & I have the cables run from the battery via a 80A cct breaker to a 130A anderson plug at the rear. I then have a short lead, using wire of approx 5mm diameter with another anderson plug on one end & the winch plug on the other. Works a treat.

If you look under the car near the drivers seat, you will see a plug. This is where I bought my wires up into the vehicle & then ran them inside the trim to the rear.
I leave my lead coiled up in the back out of the way, when I winch the boat up I simply open the door, plug it in & away I go.

Cables I use are very similar to welding cable, but slightly smaller. 16mm. They are red & Blue inside a clear double sheath. Basically like speaker wire, but a lot bigger :)

Alan_L
05-04-2006, 05:38 AM
Fender202, I'm with Heath, Crickey!

You can use 8mm cable and a 50A cct breaker on most winches, check the winch specs, and if the stall current is less than 50A, then the above wire and cct breaker will be sufficient.

Bigger is better, and Heaths set up is the ultimate, but often it comes down to price and what what will do the job sufficiently. I know that running large cables in vehicles today can be a real headache.

I have used 50A Anderson plugs in the past with no problems, and then use the same type of set up as Heath, where you have a small patch lead going from the 50A Anderson plug to the winch. Ensure that all wiring is protected with sheathing and grommets.
On several 4WD vehicles I have even permanently mounted the Anderson plug at the rear of the vehicle. That way you only need to carry the short patch cable, and you dont have the lead coiled up in the back.

Pm me your contact details if you have any questions.

Alan

finga64
05-04-2006, 09:02 AM
the wire Heath is talking about is a mini welder wire and I have used it for wiring up speakers in picture theatres....good stuff :)

snappa
05-04-2006, 03:09 PM
if ya having troble .. bring it around and WE can wire it ....

Heath
05-04-2006, 05:20 PM
Here's a pick of what mine looks like down the back.

I also have a set of leads made up with an anderson plug on the end. That way if I use someone elses car to tow the boat, I can still use the electric winch ;)