PDA

View Full Version : Big Longboat

fish-n-dive
27-02-2006, 04:34 PM
Does anyone know anything about these boats....................I'm thinking it could be a good start for somthing cool. This misus said it was maybe OK.

Any feedback?

brett_rokesky
27-02-2006, 07:38 PM
looks like someone has been mucking around with the photo ;D(strectching maybe) though i have seen something similar up north

Trekka273
27-02-2006, 07:43 PM
I just wonder how easy they would be to handle, especially when coming in to a wharf or similar in windy conditions.

THey would be a great boat space-wise... lots of room for all of your gear.

Jeff_In_Crestmead
27-02-2006, 08:00 PM
It looks like a Panga to me... In the words of my boat designer Bateau.com -

"In Mexico, the word "panga" applies to any small boat but mostly to beach launched skiffs between 18 and 26' long. The pangas have a narrow beam and high bow. They are powered by relatively small outboards

That type of boat is also very common in Africa and in Asia, in particular Indonesia and the Philippines. The most beautiful example of the type is the famous Saintoise, very seaworthy work boats some as long as 35'.

All those boats evolved from the same hull shape: fishing boats designs from the FAO for third world countries.
In the FAO project, the accent was on ease of building and economical operation. Max. HP rating was 10. Because of their hull rocker, the FAO boats were limited to displacement speeds.
Builders modified these plans to allow the boats to plane with larger outboards but kept the original narrow beam, fine entry and high bow. The result are fishing boats of moderate speed designed to hold heavy loads while maintaining fuel efficiency.

Because of their narrow beam, their performance and behavior can not be compared to other vee hulls of the same overall length except for seaworthiness. In the hands of an experienced skipper, they can venture far offshore and take bad weather but they will not offer as much room or speed as a wider boat of the same length."

Piscatorial_Prowle
28-02-2006, 07:08 AM
The Southwind longboats are a good boat plenty of room but very wet in a bit of a chop. You need very little horsepower to get them going aswell.

Blackened
28-02-2006, 07:45 AM
G'day
Well, funnily enough i've seen somting similar. Looks lik it's from the same manufacturer but a 14' version. It was/is down in the redlands auto and marine, now autopro i believe, off bunker road at victoria point. Give them a call, you never know your luck.
Dave

kernal
28-02-2006, 01:22 PM
I saw a few of these boats - (Betta Boat is the brand) in the yard at Belco trailers - I spoke to the guys at belco about them and they are imported from PNG or somewhere near there. Give the guys at Belco a call and they will put you in touch with the guy who imports them. They did say that they where very reasonably priced?

Blackened
28-02-2006, 01:45 PM
G'day
Kernal, in regards to the one i have seen, you are spot on. Brought in from PNG and betta boat does ring a bell. Anyone done a google yet?
Dave

wessel
28-02-2006, 01:56 PM
Rybka explained the history and design of these boats very well.

The locals in the Arabian Gulf all use them for net fishing and hand lining far off shore.

I have fished for a long time off one of them in the Gulf of Oman. Awesome boats for these waters.

Few things to look out for though:
Some companies raise the deck, which in turn raises the centre of gravity. Very unstable footing in rough seas. Look for one where the deck will be more or less level with the water line - More stable footing, but you will need to install a bilge pump because the deck will not be self draining.

Some companies remove the stringers and stiffeners in the hull - cheaper to build but making the boat less robust.
Check that the fuel tank is not situated right at the back - Bad weight distribution making you ride nose high with obscured visibillity

Be carefull that you dont overpower them - Not that it is a problem, it is your money but the transom is usually not designed for very big engines
A 22 footer fibre glass usually runs with 2 x 45 Hp Yammies at the back, or a single 60Hp.
I have seen them with 2 x 115's and they go like a rocket but end up with a cracked transom at some point.

Don't even think about going out in anything that is more than a 3 foot chop - The boat can handle it but it gets very uncomfortable

They tend to rock more than a standard V hull when on anchor

They are very economical to run

The handling takes getting used to, but once you understand the dynamics of the boat it is a breeze

You will not believe the amount of space available on the inside

They are very easy to customise for your needs

That was my 2 cents worth

Regards

Wessel

88fishframe
28-02-2006, 04:23 PM
I am certain from the photographs that it is a flag pole with a motor bolted on the end ;D

In all seriousness, I have seen similar if not the same boats while searching on the web. My major concern would be storage - make sure you really do have the necessary length at home to store it. I know with the last two boats I purchased it was ok - fitted through the front gates and stored at the rear ok. But it was a close thing, another 30cm wider and 60cm longer would have been a disaster :o

Current boat has about 6cm's either side to fit through my side gates where it is stored.

GO THE BANANA BOAT !!!!!

88fishframe
28-02-2006, 04:28 PM
One more thing - by size I mean overall, not just the boat but also the TRAILER. Length of drawbar and widtth to the mudguards is where it can get you.

fish-n-dive
28-02-2006, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the feedback so far...... :).....heres a couple more shots of the boat........ ;)......I still think it may be a good cheap fishing rig.... ::)???...

fish-n-dive
28-02-2006, 06:18 PM
And another :D

wessel
28-02-2006, 10:32 PM
Mate, not to sure from looking at the pictures, but who on earth has cut away at the transom???

These boats are great little buys, but be careful in a following sea. With that hole cut in the back I hope that they have installed a secondary whaling on the inside to keep a breaking wave out of the main cockpit.

The deck intself seems to be nice and low - Mind if I ask how much they charge for a package such as this?

Wessel

simonm
01-03-2006, 12:39 PM
Where is the bung (not just the one for the engine well)?

fish-n-dive
01-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Hmmmm, thats an interesting observation Simonm :-? Maybe it's an ultra dry boat??? ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers

simonm
01-03-2006, 05:12 PM
That is an impressive effort if they have managed to make a doesn't even take a drop of water boat!!! Talk about a dry ride ;D.

fish-n-dive
01-03-2006, 05:26 PM
Wessel, PM'ed you with the price they quoted me.

Cheers 8-)

Racegun
01-03-2006, 08:03 PM
well about how much we are all interested?

2rods
02-03-2006, 03:44 PM
Looks like it would handle the chop well.

It might be good in the NT chop? 8-)

How much are they and what are they rated to run on the bum?

fish-n-dive
02-03-2006, 03:57 PM
They are asking $11,990 for it as is (only what you see in the pictures). Recommended donk is 60hp but I recon a 75 would be better if your going to carry a bit of a load.

It looks like the sort of rig you could take a few mates out for the day in. I was thinking of a big ice box with a padded lid for a seat down the length of the forward part and a long bimini for shade.

Cheers 8-)

krazyfisher
02-03-2006, 04:25 PM
I must say I really like long boats even more after owning one but they are basic. I just wonder how much flex would be in this boat

Arlon
03-03-2006, 05:42 AM
Dang, I LIKE it... #That and a Tohatsu TLDI 90 should make a fine rig.. #Arlon

NeilD
03-03-2006, 04:37 PM
They had something similiar at Leisure Marine a few months ago. From PNG or Fiji and designed and built by the bloke who made the Express tinnies. These were made of aircraft alloy and were only about 1.2mm thick. They are crimped and riveted rather than welded like the old De Havilands.
Interesting concept.

Neil

Fishin_Dan
03-03-2006, 04:56 PM
They look kinda cool.... Would be interesting to have a ride in it....

Do you own it fish-n-dive? Can we all come for a trip? It looks like we'd all fit ;)

fish-n-dive
03-03-2006, 05:01 PM
No I don't own it yet, :-[ I'm still deciding on what to buy. I've got my feelers out on about 6 different rigs at the moment....................I guess I'll part with the $$$ with whatever gives me the most for the money. ;)

Racegun
03-03-2006, 07:29 PM
thanks mate

The_Walrus
04-03-2006, 08:51 AM
Like Kernel, I saw 3 of those hulls at Belco trailers.

Certainly looked like interesting designs and I'd be keen to have a test ride/drive. :)

I was more interested in the 2 smaller hulls. IMO the smallest one would be a good hull to set up as an all electric for places like Samsonvale, Wivenhoe, Lenthall etc. They're long lenght to width ratio should make them good movers at displacement speeds.

The mid size one (14/15 feet?) should make a good allround outfit for fresh, estuary and near ofshore (in good weather).

Luc

fish-n-dive
04-03-2006, 04:41 PM
I was in touch with the agent again today and have an update on this boat.

1. 4mm hull & 3mm sides
2. self draining deck
3. the boats boats are manufactured in portions and fitted together and sealed without any welds what so ever :o.

Cheers

maxwell9
17-03-2006, 08:06 AM
I just logged onto the site and was surprised to see all this chat about my boat. :o
It is one of three that were in a competition at action liquor barns. I bought it of one of the winners who couldn't fit a 24 foot boat in his garage I can answer some of the queries as follows
The bung is in the bottom with a venturi cover over it like in sailing boats. The bung can be removed from inside when underway and will drain. You must remember to replace the bung before you stop.
The transom is very deep and takes a long shaft 50 HP mercury 2 stroke and there is a secondary whaling inside the cut out. The maximum power is 60 Hp but I am told by the importer that it can take more if you beef up the tramsom and get a new compliance plate from the manufacturer in Fiji.
The importer is Neptune marine and they are asking on ebay $24k for 50 HP package and $26k for a 60HP.

I'm launching it for the first time this week end and will let you knoe how it goes.

onefish
17-03-2006, 11:45 PM
Please do keep us informed. #I have been dealing with the manufacturer in Fiji, David Payne, and the importer in Brisbaine, Neptune Marine, for a while now and have a price for one of these boats with a cuddy cabin, self draining anchor well, bow rails, no rear thwart and 200lt fuel tank. #The attached photo was sent to me by David. #Mine wouldn't have that hard top as it's not quite what i want but it does look good, aye. #I am now trying to work out a time to fly to Brisbane to test drive one of these hulls to see if the manufacturers claims about power requirements are adequate. #He assures me that the boat will carry 1300kg and perform well with a 50 Honda. #Your feedback would be very appreciated. #Also FYI there was a boat test carried out on 9/3/2006 with one of the popular boating magazines. #I've asked the importer which one and when it will go to print but havn't heard back yet.

onefish
18-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Fish n Dive,

Are you gonna buy that boat you originally posted about? If your not, can you please let me know who's got it for that price and I'll buy it today. I did some calculations and I can get all the modifications done that I want and save a couple of grand on the hull I've been quoted.

Cheers!

fish-n-dive
18-03-2006, 10:06 AM
Fish n Dive,

Are you gonna buy that boat you originally posted about? #If your not, can you please let me know who's got it for that price and I'll buy it today. #I did some calculations and I can get all the modifications done that I want and save a couple of grand on the hull I've been quoted.

Cheers!

Go for it onefish................I'm presently working on converting a 5mtr calypso cat into a powered rig for my local dam ;)

You can find it on boatpoint. do a search with the word 'prize'

Cheers 8-)

onefish
18-03-2006, 11:21 AM
Hey Fish n Dive, thanx for the quick reply. #I can't find anything on boatpoint. #Do you have a url?

Maybe I've missed the boat (so to speak).

fish-n-dive
18-03-2006, 12:51 PM
Hey Fish n Dive, thanx for the quick reply. #I can't find anything on boatpoint. #Do you have a url?

Maybe I've missed the boat (so to speak).

Hi,

Dosen't appear to be their anymore. If you check out this entire thread you may pick up enough info to put you on to someone who knows someone who has a brother who knows someone who's nextdoor neighbor has one for sale!!!! :)

Sorry I can't be more help than that.

Cheers 8-)

fish-n-dive
18-03-2006, 12:52 PM
BTW, let us know how you go as I'm still interested in getting somthing like this towards the end of the year.

Cheers 8-)

onefish
18-03-2006, 01:11 PM
Hey, anybodies friends next door neighbor have one of these unwanted prizes for sale? ::)

Cheers!

maxwell9
20-03-2006, 02:46 PM
Sorry mine is not for sale.
I took her out on Saturday for the first time and are very impressed with the fuel economy, ride and dryness. It was a 20 knott South Easter blowing all day. We went from Manly to Straddie and back including a trip around Peel on 40 litres of fuel. Top speed 34 MPH at 5400 rpm on the 50 Mercury. Cruised at 24mph and 4200 RPM. Very smooth ride with no spray coming over the side.
It was a breeze to launch and retrieve. We put the trailer wheels 100 mm into #the water and kept the trailer dry. Two people came over to us for a closer look and asked where the boats came from.

Needless to say we are very happy with the new boat.

The_Walrus
20-03-2006, 07:33 PM
Any chance on getting details of the importer/dealer for those boats?

Interested in a closer look and maybe a test ride.

Luc

onefish
20-03-2006, 08:39 PM
Maxwell9, hope you don't mind me asking a few questions. #You see it will cost me a couple grand just to get down to Brissie for a test drive and I want to make sure the boat is worth it. #Your the only person I have come accross that owns one of these boats.

How much weight did you have in the boat?
How is the level of finish?
Are you happy with the construction method (it's a bit unconventional)?
Did it leak at all (curious as it's sealed with Sikaflex)?
Does the hull flex excessively?

I really appreciate your feed back.

Luc, the importer/dealer is Neptune Marine.
http://www.neptunemarine.com.au/3.html

Cheers!

maxwell9
21-03-2006, 06:07 PM
Hi Onefish,
We had two men on board, Esky bait fuel and a fishing gear. The level of finish is good, however we did notice the deck leaked into the boat. This can be easily fixed with sikaflex. The entire underfloor area is packed with screw cap soft drink bottles and I am yet to find if this gives the boat enough flotation to make it unsinkable. The gussets under the floor are 3mm plate folded into a complete triangle shaped bulkhead and fixed to the hull by means of a nylon pin approx. 25 mm in diameter. I guess this allows flexibility and eliminates the chance of welds cracking.We did not notice any flexing of the hull.
We had no leaks at all through the hull at all and not even half a cup of water in the boat when we came back after five hours on the bay.
The construction method appears to have some real thought put in i.e. nylon pin joints,lack of welding, 3mm gussets and quantityand spacing of ribs.
There is room under the console to mount two batteries on the floor with a centre shelf above to
keep flares car keys and othe gear. We stowed 5 life jackets under the bow and still had room for anchor rope. There is bugger all storage any where else.

Give me a ring on 0417082297 if you want any more info.

onefish
21-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Cheers Max, will give you a call soon.

The_Walrus
21-03-2006, 07:23 PM
Thanks Max

Luc

Trekka273
05-04-2006, 06:17 PM
Have just seen one of these boats on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-24-ft-Aluminum-Boat_W0QQitemZ4625943104QQcategoryZ33342QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

willetippet
21-07-2008, 08:40 AM
Saw this boat at Farm Fantastic on the weekend. Looks great .Nobody manning the stand when i was there. Does anyone know who the dealer is?.
They are called Betta Boats.

MTAQ/BTAQ
21-07-2008, 04:15 PM
I have a 6.2 metre "Longboat" with a Suzuki 4 stroke 70 hp on it - it does cut through chop very well and the hull does flex in steep waves, in fact its official name is a Dolphin Flexihull - it is made of plastic and was built in 2001.

horseboy
21-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Growing up in the pearling industry we had Japan Built long boats 30ft glass with Yanmars in them. 200lts run all day for a week do 35 knots. 20kns with 5t on deck self draining and unreal to handle. I personally have had to jump on one along side a mother boat and hang of in 45+knot winds when our mother boat dragged anchor in a squale in the Kimberleys a bit spooky but rode well. Hull flex takes alot of jarring out in the chop and they can pull awesome 360s when traveling and hooking it hard oneway.

Wade