PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT - Is Two-pot epoxy spraying dangerous?

irishjim
05-04-2006, 12:32 PM
Hi Guys

I want to re-spray my fibreglass boat with two-pot epoxy.....reason being that the transom has been rebuilt and finish painted, but is slightly miss-matched with the existing older paint.

I was going to do it myself but have been advised that two-pot epoxy spraying is dangerous without the proper protective equipment, such as full face mask with it's own air supply. I am led to believe that two-pot epoxy is carcinogenic (can cause cancer).

Have any of you guys used this product and how did you protect youselves.

Would appreciate any advice you can pass on.

Regards - Jim

FNQCairns
05-04-2006, 02:05 PM
Jim it is dangerous. Although without perspective everything is dangerous, yes it can stay locked within your cells and may with loading from other factors (or it alone if you get a truly dangerous dose) if you are genetically susceptible cause cancer!, so can raw mushrooms, Milk, certain imported brands of honey, the substance used to preserve dry fruit, microwave sterilized baby bottles ,barbeque's, numerous food additives in synergy, diesel engines with cat converters, used engine oil etc etc etc etc... ::)

I have used it before and no filter you can buy at Bunnings will deal with it to a regulatory acceptable level (for those who must risk it for a paypacket) although a quality vapor filter will help with protection, if you are to use it consider researching the words ISOCYANIC ACID.

From my perspective I use it without industrial protective equipment like positive pressure appartus and I take care to spray, mix and handle the Iso hardener in such a way that my exposure is minimized ie outdoors never inside BUT do not use it where there is even the remotest chance of a child getting whiff of it even the next door neighbours kids and for a few weeks keep any child away from the surface as it is strictly still dangerous.

I understand that strictly it is illegal to use in the back yard unless all of the regulatory requirement have been met.

Cheers fnq

Fishin_Dan
05-04-2006, 02:29 PM
It has to be applied in spray booths that meet the requirements... You might have issues buying the paint. They asked me about where I'd spray it when I tried to buy some...

Your other option is to look at something like the International "Perfection" paint. You just apply it with a roller & paint brush.

Just_One_More_Cast
05-04-2006, 09:41 PM
Definitely dangerous stuff.

No offence, but if you have to ask the question, you shouldn't be using it. As FNQ points out, it has been done, but is highly risky for you and your neighbours, even for experienced trade painters. Not worth the risk.

Don't kid yourself that it won't drift. If you do it in your backyard, you could affect someone across the street or two doors down.

Burley_Boy
05-04-2006, 09:58 PM
Knew some people who used to spray it in their shed, was going to check with them but I think they're not with us anymore.... sorry :o

Big_unit
05-04-2006, 10:10 PM
I have mates who are backyarder's and professional panel beaters / spray painters, not one of them will use that stuff unless absolutely everything is right in the safety department. Its simply just not worth it.

James

Seahorse
06-04-2006, 08:40 PM
its 2pac. cause its harmful, but can be safely sprayed with right filter gear. panel shops use sunstrom spraymasks and air fed hoods.1 paint job isnt going to kill u. more chance of dying walking across the road. use it with care. use the masks and gloves.