PDA

View Full Version : bayliner trophy 28' 1997

trouves
06-04-2006, 02:44 PM
just wondering if anyone can give me any info on 28' bayliner trophys preferably 96 97 models? are they a good boat. have looked at 1 to purchase recently however there dont seem to be many around. cheers

boatboy50
06-04-2006, 07:46 PM
Hey Trouves,

Don't know how much you know about them, but they are built in the US. Trophy is the fishing brand of Bayliner, which is owned by Brunswick, the same company which owns Mercruiser/Mercury and a thousand other things, that's why the boat you have seen i'm sure is powered by one of these.

I know these boats quite well, as they have certainly been a consideration with my purchasing recently of an American built 23' Seaswirl Striper Walkaround.

I'm sure I know of the boat you are considering in Sydney, powered by a couple of 150 EFI Mercuries. If it is, it representes VERY good value, and is by far the cheapest I have seen here in oz. I have seen this same model for sale for anything up to $120K, and check out Boatpoint at the moment to see another similar boat for sale for 98K.

This boat looks very good, and if I knew of it I would have looked seriously at it.

Trophies are considered in the US to not be built to a high standard, and are the equivelant of a Holden Commodore :D in the car world!!!!!

They do however over here represent good value, and are in my opinion to a standard better than some of our aussie manufacturers, yet pack features and design philosophies which the aussie builders don't use. Just check out the boat and make sure it will suit your boating and lifestyle needs.

For me, it's a good boat which i'd have no hesitation in considering.

The Mercuries won't be too bad on juice, but they will be pushing a fair bit of weight, and these would be my main concerns, so be sure you get them checked out by a Mercury mechanic.

Any questions just ask or PM.

Regards

Darren

trouves
06-04-2006, 09:09 PM
thanks darren.

I know the pice was great on that 1!! it was on boat point for 69 grand an he couldnt sell it so they dropped 10 grand! we currently own a 25' 1987 bertram and were looking for something with a little more deck room, a bit more modern and a boat with out boards (slipping the bertram to do the legs every few months is overrated), so when we saw the trophy we loved it but they seem to be like hens teeth. are there any aus made boats that you know of that are 25-30 foot, are full walk around, has outboards and a big cabin that sleeps 4? with a walk in bath room an kitchette? all for 59 grand? I DONT THINK SO! oh well we'll just have to keep an eye out

boatboy50
06-04-2006, 09:30 PM
Hey,

After lots of research, no there is not an Aussie boat which matches your criteria.

You won't find many Trophies around, and they will tend to be asking a lot more than this one.

It is very well priced, and you will be kicking yourself if you don't investigate it further.

I would be VERY seriously looking at the Trophy if I were you. Will they trade?

Regards

Darren

trouves
08-04-2006, 10:46 AM
they've already taken a deposit from someone else. its being slipped an inspected soon so i think i'll be popping over to have a look. i was thinking there may be something wrong with it thats why he couldnt sell it for 69 grand. any idea what it would cost to import a similar boat from the states? i love the over all design and layout of these boats, but have limited funds (who doesn't?)