PDA

View Full Version : Wings on a small motor

aussiefool
04-04-2006, 06:06 AM
G'day, All I have read heaps about people putting wings on their motors and the common thred is that most have larger motors eg 50hp.+ , but I have a old (88) modle 9.9 jono on a 12 1/2 ft. glass boat. Now the bot flys with just me in it jumps out of the water no problems at all, yet as so as I have someone with me it takes a while to get up onto the plane. heck with my reglure offsider who is largeish it takes a good 5 mins befor it starts to plane.

Ok my question is has anyone had a similure prob and put wings on a small motor, and did it inprove the overall preformance? Was stabally reduce? And lastly is there a better brand than others?

Thanks all for your input
Aussiefool
Andrew

finga64
04-04-2006, 06:57 AM
In my opinion, in your case the motor working it's little heart out and the only way the get better performance is to get a bigger motor. It's 9.9 not a 20.

2iar
04-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Finga's probably right that you're straining the motor, but I had a 9.9 on a previous tinnie. I found it porpoised a lot particularly with just me in the boat. The root cause of course was that pretty much all of the weight was down the back, but being such a small boat I didn't have a lot of options in redistributing the load.

My engine was also quite old, and a Lalizas foil was only $20. I figured I had nothing to lose but drilling 4 holes in the cav plate, so I whacked one on. The difference was amazing - a much more comfortable ride, even solo. I've heard that they can reduce top speed a bit, but I found mine increased because of a more consistent plane. Stability was unaffected, and cornering better. It was the best $20 I spent on the boat.

I've reached the conclusion from my experience and much of what I've subsequently read that generally speaking they help *some* motors on *some* boats in *some* conditions. They can improve performance in *some* circumstances when trying to compensate for other issues (eg motor height/trim), but actually make it worse in *some* others (following seas seem to be mentioned a bit). Otherwise they'd be fitted as standard.

It's your call, but for $20 and 4 holes I'd suggest giving it a burl. It's certainly cheaper than upgrading the motor, and can be easily removed if it doesn't help.

Good luck,
Mike

aussiefool
04-04-2006, 12:26 PM
thanks Mike I'll give it a go

ahoj
04-04-2006, 06:30 PM
I have one home made s/s on my 6 yamaha I bought from 2iar This is what it looks like and it works well and no stress...

Ahoj

finga64
05-04-2006, 10:35 AM
Gidday again,
I have one of those Lazer plates on my 15hp Honda. It was there when I got it and just couldn't be bothered taking it off.
There's one here for sale pretty cheap
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Laser-Foil-Solas-Cav-Plate_W0QQitemZ4626803587QQcategoryZ26451QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem
Or if your in no hurry I cut cut and fold one out of aluminium and I am going down that way at Easter and could be able to meet up somewhere. It'll cost you a six pack though ;)
If it helps I will have learnt something, if not, no great problem :)
Cheers Scott

aussiefool
05-04-2006, 11:43 AM
Hi Scott,
Yep I'm in no hurry and if it's not a prob yes please, just name you brew.
My home phone no. is 0266741123
Thanks heaps
Andrew

finga64
05-04-2006, 01:17 PM
Done...will that do you??
I thought I'd get it out of the way and if you know somebody coming to the tinny show they can call in and collect. We're 3 mins off the south-east freeway
I sent you a PM with my phone number :)

2iar
05-04-2006, 08:43 PM
You're a man of many talents Finga [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I had to go to Whitworths today, so I checked the price of the 2 piece Lalizas for you Aussiefool. $19.90.

A bit of a moot point now, because Finga's, while a significantly different design, looks a lot more durable. In fact, it's not dissimilar to the "Permatrim", and they cost quite a bit. It also has the added bonus of being Australian-made and not from Kiwiland ;D

Good luck,
Mike

finga64
05-04-2006, 09:03 PM
A bit of a moot point now, because Finga's, while a significantly different design, looks a lot more durable. In fact, it's not dissimilar to the "Permatrim", and they cost quite a bit. It also has the added bonus of being Australian-made and not from Kiwiland #;D
Good luck,
Mike
Gidday Mike,
In one of my posts above is a link to ebay. I have one of these on my little Honda so I just looked at it and said here we go and Hey presto.
I made it a tad longer then the original (that's the size I had, so didn't bother to cut) #:)
The add says Lazer brand.
We'll see how it goes eh #;)
Cost....scrap from the scrappy for $2.50/kg and an hour of ginning under the house.
P.S. don't tell anyone where it came from. I don't want any trouble #;)

aussiefool
06-04-2006, 03:39 AM
Mate ... your the man [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] thanks big time

ahoj
09-04-2006, 11:52 AM
Finga : When are you going to start building Ahoj CAT? ;D ::)

Came across a Stick steering anyone got one or wants to sell one?