PDA

View Full Version : proper tension on the boat tying down strap

finga64
06-04-2006, 09:44 AM
Does anybody know the correct tension you should use on the strap to strap the boat down onto the trailer??
My dad has one of those 1" hand ratchet thingo's and he's bent the sides of his tinny. :'(
Do boat manufacturers have a spec for over the top strapping down of boats or is it a case of "what ever you recon is a good thing"??
I realise some boats would be different, but just how much tension do you need to hold the boat on the trailer??
I just put a fish scale on mine and it read about 40kg under tension. Is this too much or not enough. I can't lift or move the tinny when under tension.
Cheers Scott

2iar
06-04-2006, 09:54 AM
It's an interesting point, but I don't reckon it would be in the manufacturer's interest to release specs for tension, as by not doing so they limit their liability if you do what your dad did.

I reckon as tight as you like without damaging the boat or trailer, but maybe a bit higher than normal in rough country. I can't imagine a scenario where having it too loose would be a good thing. Of course, there's no definition of "too loose" because of the above...

I don't think we're going to get a definitive answer to this one. :-/

Good luck,
Mike

Argle
06-04-2006, 11:31 AM
I think in the case of tinnys especially they would be better off with two transom straps rather than an over gunnell style for the exact reason you mentioned, too tight and the old tinny will bend, too loose and she shakes herself to bits on rough roads. :o

Cheers and Beers

Scott

blaze
06-04-2006, 02:49 PM
I am of the opinion that a tinnie should only be tied down on transom straps for the reasons already mentioned, seen a few with bowed in sides. If the boat was a bit more than a tinnie, wide gunnels etc, dont think it would be so much of a drama
cheers
blaze

Ron173
07-04-2006, 10:32 AM
I tighten mine till it can only be twisted 90 degrees by hand from the flat.

This is a rule of thumb used by mechanics for timing belts etc. I find it gives me a taught not overtight setting easily.

hope this helps

Ron

Mr__Bean
07-04-2006, 01:49 PM
To me, there are different needs for different boats.

On the smaller tinnies and lighter weight boats, you only need enough to stop the boat bouncing around on the trailer. You don't have to break its back pulling it down.

On a midsize glass or a larger tinnie, you need to strap it down firmer. That's not say it has to be pulled down so hard that you start to bent the side rails etc, but the rope / strap you use must be capable of holding the increased weight if it hits a bad bump (no pissy rope or payless straps).

When you get into the larger fibreglass and large plateys, you need enough rope / strap strength to be able to hold the trailer up under the boat as it bounces. As the weight of the boat outstrips the weight of the trailer you end up holding the trailer in under the boat when you hit a decent bump.

My views,

- Darren

ahoj
07-04-2006, 08:29 PM
How tight can you tighten ROPE thats how tight a ratches straps should be tight but I prefer a rope and the straps if exposed to sun become brittle and brake--- it took mine 3 weeks ---Practical quick but unsafe need to replace most of the straps with UV resistant straps--- tell me if you can find any anwhere... If your tinny has no rim and is soft where you tye your straps -- transom would be your best option as Blaze recommended.

Ahoj

finga64
08-04-2006, 07:10 AM
Thanks fellas. Much appreciated :)
Looks like another trip under the house to make something that's easy to tension the strap that always has the same tension when tightened. I looked at some in the boat shops but all looked flimsy and probably wouldn't last real long. (anyone seen any good tighteners/tensioners that would rust up in 12 months ??)

Ahoj, have you looked in the truck accessory shops, they have lots of big blue straps that don't breakdown due to UV thrashing. Mine has been going for years now and I found it on the side of the road. :D
I don't like the rope idea. Too much force on only a tiny area. If you know how too, you can tie a 10mm rope and break it no worries so that's maybe a tad too much tension for the sides of the boat. ;)

IMO the two straps on the back could have the same result. If they're tensioned too much you could just as easily pull the boat down through the rollers, crack welds around the transum or tear the hook attaching eyes/loops out of the back of the boat with those ratchet thingo's.
Dad also has trouble with his hands and the ratchet thingo's are really hard for him to use. It's a pain for him to use one let alone 2 gismos every time he wants to use the boat. (they always seem to jam, anybody else have that problem??)
At least over the top you've got a bit of a chance of seeing something bend.

More thinking needed on my behalf I think :-/
Cheers Scott

blaze
08-04-2006, 07:23 AM
the other thought I have is that you can put a hardbar of some type across the rear of the boat and run the strap over that.
cheers
blaze

finga64
08-04-2006, 07:51 AM
Thanks Blaze,
I had a talk with dad last night and the main issue was that everytime he tried to release the ratchet ( you know pull the middle handle up and then pull the big handle up as well) it always jammed and every attempt actually tighten the strap one notch more. His next plan of attack was the filleting knive through the strap. But he didn't have anything else to tie the boat down with after he caught some more dogfish
His tie is positioned over the rear bench seat and it acts pretty well the same as what you mentioned.
When it boils down, the main concerne/issue is the ratchetting tie downs that are really hard to use, especially those that can't use their hands so good.
I have one of those wire canterlever tightener downers on the Bertram and it works OK but the build quality is up the gurgular and I don't really trust the slipping wire loop locking thing they have on trips more then 2km's
Cheers Scott
PS How's the wind now??

magoo9
08-04-2006, 10:09 AM
I have been looking into this topic quite a bit of late as i am heading on a long rough trip soon. I have a 5m aluminium centre console and generally people in the industry have been telling me to load the boat with some of my gear to help hold it down and not to tighten the straps too tight. Another big no no i have been told is to never put a strap back and front. If the boat is not on the trailer properly it can twist the boat and in turn cause cracking. One last thing alot of trailer people have told me is that a trailer is designed to flex to a degree so if your boat is tied down really tight and the trailer cant flex then something else has to...your boat!!! anyway thats just what iv found out.
cheers magoo

dnej
08-04-2006, 02:24 PM
Scott, How you doing. I made a bar, as Blaze suggested. Made of aluminium, 50X25 tube, hinged in the middle, so I can fold it up, and stick it in the vehicle.
The ends of the tube, have a welded section at right angles,and that is where the tie down attaches. The section that sits on the boat, has teflon screwed on, and countersunk, to the cross member, to stop any metal to metal rubbing.
I use a light chain, and turnbuckles, to adjust the tie down to the trailer. A lock wing nut is a must, as they vibrate loose otherwise
David

ahoj
08-04-2006, 06:21 PM
Good thinking BLAZE

ahoj
08-04-2006, 06:36 PM
Damaging boat any kind is quite possible with the ratchet thingo Tighten securely
but with gamage respect...
There is always one consolation if you don't tighten enough and the boat slips from the trailer sidways you will always find it tied up to the winch...
That is quite silly what i just said lol ;D ;D never mind.
Been out all day in barumba and never cought anything.. but nice day.. i hope you all had a good one too cheers

Ahoj

blaze
08-04-2006, 06:51 PM
another thought
One of my old trailers had extension light poles with a couple of lugs welded off them with some threaded galv bar welded to the lugs, it then had a hardbar that went across the boat, then a couple of home made wing nuts (nuts with handles about 6" long) that you done up. Never did use it, checked in the corner of the shed and used straps. I also understand the uncoropertive finger syndrome.
cheers
blaze

finga64
09-04-2006, 06:56 AM
Yep, it's off downstairs to build something. Oh well, another week filled in.
I know what your talking about Blaze, worth investigating further.
I don't think the problem is the integral strength of the boat where he puts the strap. It's the strap itself just being a pain in the behind to work.
Not real keen on the chain idea. Bulky, heavy and maybe too big a hassle for an 78 year old to use. He has enough problems putting a hook on with his and stuffed hands. It's literally like threading the eye of a needle and then do cross stitching with winter motorbike gloves on. Poor bugger. Sad bit is it's genetic so if I think of something I'll really be helping myself in 30 years.
I'll report back when I think of something.

Does anybody know of something that tensions straps easily and won't break real easy???

Thanks fellas and ladies
Scott

SJ
09-04-2006, 06:40 PM
How much you looking at for a good tie down strap, just bought my first tinnie today ;D

finga64
09-04-2006, 07:30 PM
Congrates on your fine purchase.
Now the real money starts to leak out of your pocket fitting all the extras on your tinny ;)
What did you get?
Where are you SJ??

SJ
09-04-2006, 08:01 PM
Thanks Finga, yeh you gotta have the extras ;D

Quintrex 475 Bowrider 75hp Merc

New Farm, Brisbane

Yeh I'd like to get a tie down as I intend to keep it at the inlaws at Bribie, not to keen to tow it all the way up there without one.

finga64
09-04-2006, 08:11 PM
Nice :)
looks like a trip to Bias :)
Hint for when you do....don't take the cook....they put a dampner on things a bit ;)
You can see their cattle dog online
http://www.biasboating.com.au/ or

Whitworths
http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_home.asp
Let the fun begin :D

SJ
09-04-2006, 08:24 PM
Never a truer word said Finga :P

Thanks for the tips