PDA

View Full Version : loading boat

JEWIENEWIE
07-04-2006, 02:15 PM
Planning my annual camping trip and am need of some advice. previous years i have loaaded just about everything aprt from the kitchen sink into the back of my 3.95 tinny. Just curious, is it ok or a bad idea to carry all this stuff in the boat. Where should i be putting most of the weight? Over the axle, in front, back or put nothing in her at all and just jam it all in the back of the truck. What are your thoughts please.
Jewienewie :)

spuderico
07-04-2006, 03:47 PM
the tinny no different to a trailer in this senario so what the heck!? As long as the tow bar is rated for the weight, and the load itself isn't damaging the alloy. :) Is the trailer braked???

Argle
07-04-2006, 03:51 PM
Be aware of the load rating of your tyres on the trailer and also the more you load in the boat the more load you will be putting on trailer wheel bearings.
If you could fit stuff in the car then thats the way I would go.

Cheers and Beers

Scott

Owen
07-04-2006, 10:58 PM
Personally, I wouldn't load any more weight than absolutely necessary in a tinnie.
Depends on how well your trailer supports it I guess, but the stucture of the boat is designed to resist pressure from underneath. It's pretty weak when pushed from above (as in from inside the boat).
Can't say I've heard of any getting damaged in this way, but it's worth considering.

cheers,
Owen

griz066
08-04-2006, 07:29 AM
Don't exceed the GTM of the rig which is 750kg for an unbraked trailer as if you have an accident there could possibly be insurance implications as the weight of the gear + boat + trailer was over the specefied weight. Check your compliance plate for the specs to be sure.

For example my glass boat weighs 700kg loaded with safety gear fuel ski gear rods etc etc and trailer is 290kg so legally I am only able to put another 10kg in the boat.

I am not willing to risk having insurance problems for a few kg of gear, so we take 2 vehicles if we go camping with a lot of gear.

Thas my 2c worth

finga64
08-04-2006, 08:06 AM
I'd be more worried about how the boat sits on the trailer.
Tinnies that size don't usually sit on very many rollers. At most 4 rollers (some only 3) up the guts and a couple of rollers/slides on the side.
The roller/slide system is usually only designed for the expected weight of the boat and usual contents such as easy, fishing gear etc.
Too much weight in the wrong spots could do some damage. But I have been known to wrong before.
So in short. I'd only put the big, bulky stuff that weighs nothing in the boat and the rest in the truck.
Cheers Scott

madmix
08-04-2006, 04:47 PM
lent my tinnie to some mates years ago
and they loaded all their gear in.
Hit big bump and resulted in buckled keel.
They made good on the repairs, but personally
I would keep the weight to a minimum.

cheers Mick

Just_One_More_Cast
09-04-2006, 09:51 PM
Think Finga has the right idea. We went up Cape York a few years ago and saw several tinnies damaged through overloading.

You would get away with light, bulky stuff though. (sleeping bags for instance would free up a lot of space in the truck). Just don't go silly and as poited out, be mindful of where your rollers are that suport the boat. Also, as with any trailer, it is critical not to get too much or too little weight over the drawbar.

Me, I only put in the boat what will be in it when it's on the water.

Steve