PDA

View Full Version : broken off skeg

Chris_Riethmuller
09-04-2006, 02:20 PM
Hi all, well I decided to take a run up to pancake creek for a look today and although it is beutiful up there. I was just poking along on a fast idle when I found a bommie, ouch, didn't appear to hit that hard but when we got to the beach and inspected the damage I found it was ugly to say the least, snapped the skeg off severely.
what is the go with this type of damage, is it repairable or is it a new gearcase.
will insurance cover this damage.
Regards Beefa

Chris_Riethmuller
09-04-2006, 02:31 PM
prop

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
09-04-2006, 03:10 PM
If you have insurance you should be pretty right. ;) Just give them a call and explain what happened. They'll direct you from there.

I wouldn't think you would need a new box but if the insurer insists then who are you to argue. :) A good repairer would probably be able to build the skeg back up, and the prop is easy work for them.

Cheers
Dave

Jusel
09-04-2006, 05:11 PM
Any decent alloy welder with a tig should be able to repair it for you. Get a template of a new motor if possible so you can get the shape back to original.

2iar
09-04-2006, 05:36 PM
Hi Beefa,

Pretty bad news, eh?

Yeah, I'd say your insurance should cover it - it was completely accidental and not as if you wanted it to happen either. It's all down to the cost of repair Vs excess/no claim premium.

Don't know too much about fixing the skeg, but couldn't be too hard for someone who knows what they're doing. Likewise, the prop's easily repairable, but you've damaged all of the blades so naturally this costs more to fix. I put mine into Performance Propellors at Bulimba (recommended by Grand Marlin) - haven't seen their work yet as I don't have it back though.

Typical - my boat's out of the water, and I would have had a free run at those Wello/Green squire with you out of the running. ;D ;)

Good luck,
Mike

blaze
09-04-2006, 06:34 PM
dont go the insurance way as your excess will probably be mor than the repair,
$80 should fix the prop and it shouldnt be much more to do the skeg
cheers
blaze
ps
thats only a mild touch, if thats the worse ya ever do be thankful

TheDeepSix
09-04-2006, 07:12 PM
Gday
I have the same skeg problem on both my motors (70hp Yamaha) Anyone know a welder who fixes these for a reasonable price?
Thanks
Tiga

Spaniard_King
09-04-2006, 07:20 PM
gawd it's only a chip, ::) get the prop fixed as blaze says and don't worry about the skeg till ya gunna offload it.

Once you weld the skeg it will get soft and softer after each weld (heat affected area)

cheers

Gary

MulletMan
11-04-2006, 10:57 PM
You gotta get a welder who knows his stuff!
If he heats the gearbox up to much in the process, you will get melted seals!
Get an angle grinder and grind the little mongrel back into a nice curve.
I have dinner plates chipped worse that that! ;) ;) ;)