PDA

View Full Version : importing from the usa

trouves
11-04-2006, 08:46 AM
would anyone out there have any info on the pro's, cons an costs of importing a boat from the usa? the exact model of boat i wanted to import is a 1997 28' bayliner trophy walkaround. they are fairly rare in australia but am very interested in importing 1.

Lea26
11-04-2006, 10:12 AM
Hi

Firstly
You are required to obtain import permit from Federal Department of Road Safety for vehicles, trailers

Secondily
Australian Import Duty and Sales Tax

Australian Import Duty is 5 % on vessels / boats under 150 m/t Gross Construction Weight
Over 150 m/t Gross Construction Weight DUTY FREE

If your vessel / boat is classified as a commercial venture to generate income their are SALES TAX EXEMPTIONS

As far as price goes i am not sure i had a mate of mine import a 25ft center consel glass boat "second hand boat" and it worked out cheaper they getting it here.

He is away working at the moment so when he gets back i will let you know who he went through
Cheers

boatboy50
11-04-2006, 01:45 PM
Hi

Firstly
You are required to obtain import permit from Federal Department of Road Safety for vehicles, trailers

Secondily
Australian Import Duty and Sales Tax

Australian Import Duty is 5 % on vessels / boats under 150 m/t Gross Construction Weight
Over 150 m/t Gross Construction Weight DUTY FREE

If your vessel / boat is classified as a commercial venture to generate income their are SALES TAX EXEMPTIONS

As far as price goes i am not sure i had a mate of mine import a 25ft center consel glass boat "second hand boat" and it worked out cheaper they getting it here.

He is away working at the moment so when he gets back i will let you know who he went through
Cheers

Hey,

I'm going through this at the moment. My boat is due late April.

1. Only require import permit if you are importing a trailer

2. No import duty applies, it was abolished with the free trade agreement. Even my shipper didn't know this until I made her research it. So be careful. Sales tax is in the form of GST, 10%, on total cost of boat and any importing/transport costs. This adds up!

The cost of shipping is rediculously expensive, and getting worse. Shipping for a 23' GRP boat without trailer from Florida costs around 20K not including GST, this is up from less than 15K 18 months ago on the same boat!

Ive replied to your posts elsewhere, and with your budget im sorry but you won't get a 28 Bayliner here for that money. They are cheaper to buy here.

Whatever you do, allow at least 10% extra in the budget, as the costs will definately blow out.

If you find the right boat for a good price, it can be worth it.

Regards

Darren

trouves
12-04-2006, 10:44 AM
o0k thanks guys. looks like we'll be sticking with the 25' berty a while longer. ::)