PDA

View Full Version : NEW FORMOSA "PLATE" RANGE

fishface74
11-04-2006, 06:02 PM
Hey, Did anyone see those new formosa's at the tinnie show.

Me and a mate of mine had a good look for a while and I reckon they were about the best thing going at the show. They've sort of gone along the lines of TABS but done it better and cheaper.

Has anyone actually been in one yet, I'd be interested to know how they went in the water, being 3mm side and 4mm bottoms we both reckoned they'd go pretty well.

ShaneJ
11-04-2006, 06:17 PM
better and cheaper
These 2 words dont go togeather!

lil_boatie
11-04-2006, 06:30 PM
Hey mate , as some ausfishers know i am formosa new 'trainee' and i have not been in one yet, but i do assist in making them (im not good enough to weld) and all the cuts that i make with the grinder are perfect, the hulls are welded up by a guy with 12 years welding exp and the fitout are done by the trainee who just finishen the certificate im starting. But if you want to ring us up tomorrow 1 of my bosses is taking all the people from the boat show on test drives in north gold coast at 7:30 but you will have to ring up for more info.

I will post up a link of the boats and guys please support them as they have helped me start of in life.

http://www.boatsboatsboats.com.au/index.php?id=nb_formosa

Cheers

Sportfish_5
11-04-2006, 06:33 PM
That aint no "Plate" boat ;) ::)

lil_boatie
11-04-2006, 06:42 PM
some arnt are they and the 5.60 are only 5.50 im pretty sure thay should update it a bit better.

mjc85
12-04-2006, 06:33 AM
You can get a trailcraft with self draining decks, or a TABS for the same price which are reknown for quality amongst ausfishers.

Coontakinta
12-04-2006, 09:56 AM
mjc85, no offence meant here, but not sure about Trailcraft pricing in the Eastern States, but they're dearer than the $35K shown in the Formosa site here in SA. Heck, perhaps thats Y they dont sell here. That and the fact what u c is what u get.... No mods allowed, and a pain in RS box that sits right in the middle of the transom and resticts access to it and any bait table u wish to fit.

If I went to a Trailcraft, and i was well placed to go that way initially, I woulda been up 4 $40K and not got all the extras I wanted in the boat. Hence it was the Sea Quest 4 me!

PeterT
12-04-2006, 12:22 PM
Looked at both and could have gone trailcraft or tabs and been happy with the product. But went for a custom boat built local in Darwin, GS Marine Extreme. Watched the whole process of building. Photographed from laying of keel and bottom plates to fit out. Everything as I wanted it and ability to make adjustments along the way. Well under price of Trail or tabs as well.

Northern Territory Fisheries use an Extrem 4mm bottom 3 mm sides and haven't had a problem in several years of operation all over the territory. They have an option for 5mm bottom and 4 sides but all blokes I spoke to who had them found it a waste and made the boat heavier to trailer/use more fuel etc.

Lot to be said for custom boats