PDA

View Full Version : glass vs tinnie

Seahorse
08-04-2006, 05:53 PM
went to boat show today looking for bowrider and ended up wanting a half cab. tinnie getting bit dear but glass were bit more reasonable. does anyone have any reasons for and against this change in thought in going to glass.

thanks
greg

LET_IT_RIP
08-04-2006, 07:54 PM
allys got to be easier to weld?????????????

perko
08-04-2006, 07:59 PM
You would never regret going for a glass boat over a tinnie. Tinnies are not even in the same league.

banshee
08-04-2006, 08:44 PM
Got to agree with Perko,there's only so much you can do with alloy below the water line glass on the other hand can be moulded into any complex shape the manufacturer desires the result is a better riding hull for the length,I've previously owned a couple of pressed alloy boats and know people with heavey duty plate jobs and they all seem to develop cracks and they all seem to get corrosion under the paint,likewise drop a sinker and don't retrieve it and that's the start of some real dramas.The only advantage I can see now days is if your prone to beaching or running up the ramp,obviously boats under 4.5 metres are going to be a better proposition in alloy or polly but above this I personaly think glass is the way to go.

Ron173
08-04-2006, 09:10 PM
I'm in the middle of a dilema here, was bout to order a quintrex, then hear of all problems with cracks etc. lots of blokes say cracks normal, just happens etc.

My previous use of allys was incase hit a submerged log on inland impoundments etc. tinnie just bounces out way......and was tougher... or so I thought.

However I'm now changing my views and thinking if the bloody things gonna crack from under me anyway, whats the point? a bit lighter to trailer etc., does it measure up? worth it? I'm really thinking... not so.

I'd have to hit something fairly substancial to stuff a fibreglass boat as they are thick enough, whereas a tinnie cracks just by normal use hitting waves, glass flexes more, so I'm seriously thinking about it.

Quintrex warranty 2yrs I think, poss 3yrs..... buy a Glastron.... lifetime warranty on hull.

Quite seriously.... instead of my 480 freedom sport, I'm actually considering a Haines Hunter 495 or similair with same 90 etec.

Not sure about the Glastron 135hp mercruiser, read test, flat out 44mph, 12gph, 23 gal tank, = 2 hrs fun.....hmmmm..... 23 gal is 104ltr.... at todays rates bout $135+....... thats gettin bit pricey, plus doubt it'd trawl. (and with that grunt I'd find it hard to not hoon n use it!!)

The Hunter on the ETEC however is gonna have same econ as Quintrex on ETEC or as near as. Seems similair use hull.

I figure its not gonna crack on me, better ride, similair useage/style, if I do hit something n stuff it, I'm fully comp which includes damage caused by striking a submerged object.

The same $30k on a tinnie, is just gonna crack anyway, and from what I've been told on here, its normal, and expect it.
(I've had 3 tinnies with no trouble so far, but concerned by amount of blokes who have had probs!)

So personally, I'm now swinging to go glass regardless.

IMHO it wont fall apart on you, and if it does its covered by lifetime warranty, tinnie not so.

If you hit something substantial, and it'd need to be substantial to damage it, its covered on insurance.

Interested in others views too on this one.

I'm sitting on my $30k at present not sure where to go, but considering glass, which I previously wouldnt have.

just my 10c worth

Ron

finga64
09-04-2006, 07:13 AM
Glass for me.
Glass is/has easier ride, usually drier, less noise from the water sitting still or motoring, easier to clean, sometimes the same weight as aluminium but usually just a tad heavier.
I have 3 boats.
2 of them are 3.75m long. 1 is a 2000 model edgetracker and the other is a 1970 model Stebercraft Beaver and personally I prefer the old glass boat. If I was the only one that went fishing I'd only use the old tub.
The reason I use the ali boat is it has more useable room. The glass is a forward control version and has a deck on the front ( mind you it's strong enough to do a tap dance on). But it 's a lot drier, I feel a lot safer in a chop/swell, lot easier to clean, the glass handles a lot better then the ali with the same motor on and IMO the glass would take a bigger knock then the ali.
The edgetracker is more stable at rest though.
The cook says I have to sell one. Just wondering why I'm keeping 'Junior' the tinny?
Now I'm confused. Again. Maybe I sell both and get a Fisher plate. :-/

Ooh, my other boat is a 5m Bertram and that's a no brainer. I wouldn't swap it for a similar sized/priced aluminium boat for quids.
Cheers Scott

peterreb
09-04-2006, 08:00 AM
Seahorse, try a plate ally boat,TABS have a versatile range, and price is reasonable. Aluminium is getting exy.10% rise at beginning of 06. The way Oil prices are going,producing raw materials and production costs are hurting everyone.
Cheers Peter

bidkev
09-04-2006, 08:09 AM
Had a 6 metre quintrex, now have a 6.5 Whittley. Absolutely no comparison in ride.......a different experience altogether.

The bay throws up some bad chop most times and first time out, I thought, "What the hell? I've paid all this money and it's riding as bad as the tinny!" :o Then I looked at the guage and realised I was doing 32 knots........could never have done that in the tinny for fear of breaking every bone in my body ;D

I did everything in my power to prevent electrolysis in the tinny but it still happened.

Drawbacks on the glass? Well I now have 90 grand under my arse instead of 25. Initially I worried about knocks.........and it gets plenty from the kid's sinkers ::) But hey! It's a fishing boat for heaven's sakes. Weight? Yup! I had to get a new 4by to pull her but trailering is no prob, in fact, I think it's probably easier 'cause the wind and tide don't push her as much as they did the tinny. Fuel is a drawback especially as the price increases.

Pro's? It rides better, it's quieter, I don't worry about eloctrolysis and I can pose more ;D

As you say, Insurance has you covered so what's the point of worrying about damage? It can happen to any boat, tin or glass. You gotta enjoy your experience and if you're gonna worry about fate, then you won't enjoy.

There are other things to bear in mind though. It's no use comparing a glass boat with a 19d deadrise and no tabs to a plate ally with a 23d and trim tabs fitted.

kev

Don't believe in superstition - it brings bad luck.

Seahorse
09-04-2006, 08:45 AM
some very good points. ron iam like u. i was going 525 bow rider or cabin, stacer or blufin. for the cost and finish and what u read on here iam having lots of second thoughts. 30000 grand shit loads of money and am going to spend more time looking and getting more advice on here. its a painful job for me and more so for the people iam asking questions to. i cant afford to do this again, only get 1 shot, so do the homework and get it right i guess. that also goes for the motor as well. someone suggested doing ur own package. dont know how as yet but looking at it. afer iam finished think i will write a book, buying a boat. :)

flyingfish
09-04-2006, 09:23 AM
Hi Kingtin,

There are other things to bear in mind though. It's no use comparing a glass boat with a 19d deadrise and no tabs to a plate ally with a 23d and trim tabs fitted.

was following your informative post #:) until you threw the above line in. :-/ #If you did that comparison do u think the glass boat will still win? This will help with the decision making process considering plate boats are up there in price as well.

cheers

Flyingfish

PADDLES
09-04-2006, 08:33 PM
I think that kingtin was maybe making the point that you've gotta compare apples for apples with the hull configurations. Seahorse, hit up the dealers for as many water tests as you can, a lot of them even have test days on different models. I went to a test day that cunninghams ran for polycraft boats and that's what steered me away from pressed alloy and towards glass or poly for the usage that I had for a boat. (bought glass in the end) :)

Seahorse
09-04-2006, 09:30 PM
i will look out for those test days. do u think they will take u only if ur looking. what terms do they take u on.

ahoj
09-04-2006, 09:48 PM
I feel the comarisons here don't apply.. you want a boat for fishing- family out on the river or dam nice 5m tinny with max 35 HP is all one wants. price 10K for sea work fibreglass is the go 5-7m mono hull or cat with up to 100hp or less for better ecconomy and even there you have limitations......

IMO if I want to go and do serious fishing for a day or 2 hire a big fishing boat with few mates to share pay 200-400$ each and have fun without danger and in 2 days you will have had enough in open sea for 3 month... this way you don't have to worry about cracks or 50K boat outlay plus running costs that you will use as seldom as possible because mama wants her housekeeping...

It is all relevant if you can efford it and your income can cover 20K boat expenditure-- no joke--insurance maintenance replacement fuel costs will not let you with any change at all I feel there is more fun having a lively safe smaller boat for easy handling with lower fuel cost and more fun. I have always advocated for smaller safer and ecconomical boating fun.....

.I have the most ecconomical and stable boat -- 5 m Cat goes 24 km/h and uses 6 HP motor can anyone beat that build for 2 people.

Have safe boating and good fishing... don't get carried away with boats its mostly fantasy and show

Ahoj

Seahorse
09-04-2006, 10:16 PM
hey ahoj.if i took ur advise i may as well fish from the shore. u can keep ur cat and i will wave as i fly buy in my 5m tinnie or glass with my 100hp plus. each to their own i guess. what u said has no bearing on my question. happy sailing. my fantasy thats it. my pocket.

PADDLES
10-04-2006, 09:28 AM
You're right greg, they sometimes seem to want to be sure of a sale before they give you a go and that's sort of fair for them. But the other side too is that there's no way you'd want to part with $30+k of your hard earned without having a test drive either. The poly I had a go in was part of a test day so anyone could come and have a go in one. Keep an eye out for test days they normally advertise them in the local paper up here, or just stay in touch with your local dealers. I reckon if you hit em up during the week (ie not on a weekend) most salesmen would take ya for a spin especially if you were a serious buyer which you are. What do they do when no-one's around anyway, twiddle their thumbs?

Ron173
10-04-2006, 09:43 AM
Ahoj,

I'm buying my Quinnie, with my 90ETEC.

I do use charters on the coast. 35hp is not enough for kids to ski.

I can afford the boat and the insurance which is only extra 170 a year, the ETEC will prob only use a sniff more fuel than present, it has no servicing for 3yrs or 300hrs, no costs there either. Tinnies are almost maintenance free, keep em clean wash em out, dont drop sinkers in em, thats about it.

I'm glad your happy with your boat, and it should be the most economic, dont ever sell it, as even 24km/hr (14mph / 13knots) is remarkable for a 5mtr boat! :o

I had a small 3.5mtr with a 6hp on a few years back, first boat, and a bit of chop n wind blew up on dam one day and we could barely make way in the current, sold it and upgraded the following week.

I'm now 3 tinnies later with a 4.2mtr with all bells n whistles, if kids werent getting bigger I'd be keeping it, but need more space, and also they are getting big for biscuit and want to ski.

The 480 freedom sport will fit the bill for all these perfectly.

Ron

Argle
10-04-2006, 10:39 AM
I wouldnt have anything but a glass boat in that size range, Ive ridden in similar sized Quinnys and Stacers and fair dinkum in anything less than flat water the tinny will shake the fillings out of your teeth in no time!
Im probably biased (well actually I am biased) but in a 4.93m boat I dont reckon you would get anything that would even get close to the ride and handling of a glass boat, I have a 493F Signature and love it. For the money you are talking you could easily have something similar.
Do yourself your teeth and your back a favour and go for a run in a few glass boats and then make up your mind :-/

Cheers and Beers
Scott

Seahorse
12-04-2006, 08:28 PM
yes scott,
i believe that this is the way to go. especially with winter coming on as well. bit cold in tose tinnies at night :)

familyman
13-04-2006, 08:13 AM
Seahorse I think it depends on your normal environment ,up far north a plate tin boat would be the go.But if you are south of the tropics then a glass boat would be better ,better ride ,quieter and more comfortable plus if the worst happens you can do small repairs yourself :'(
IMHO any one that says get a tinny 'cause you can bang 'em around should learn to be a better skipper :o
There.
Thats put the cat amongst the pidgeons!!!
cheers jon

billfisher
13-04-2006, 08:54 AM
Ahoj,

Not everyone is satisfied going outside on a charter every 3 months. Thats why I have two boats, a 4.1 m Polycraft for estuary and freshwater and a 5.4m fiberglass for outside. This covers everything except really wide offshore work.

Its interesting that nobody has mentioned the Polycraft. In a lot of ways they are tougher than tinnies and with a ride closer to fiberglass and more stable too.

MulletMan
13-04-2006, 08:56 AM
Is a Tinny one of those little things that you see leaping and jumping from one wave to the next with everybody hanging on for dear life or trembling in fear on the bottem in the boat?

Just had to ask that's all ........................ ;) ;) ;) ;)

bushbeachboy
13-04-2006, 09:08 AM
Seahorse,
I've got one of each and love both of them. The 6m glass Goodwin Longboat is a great seaboat and the tinny is great for the Burdekin creeks.
Cheers mate