PDA

View Full Version : How late was your new boat

GAD
11-04-2006, 03:59 PM
Well I have been waiting for three weeks past the original date of delivery now to get my new Tabs bowrider and Its still not here and after numerous stories I find out its still not finished .... Is this the norm? , my Brother waited an extra 3 weeks for his topender , one mate waited 2 weeks for his stacer ,another 3 for his bermuda , another bloke said thats about right 3 -5 weeks after the expected delivery date every one says thats how it is . Is this true ? How late was your new boat

PinHead
11-04-2006, 05:50 PM
2 days late..and that was due to the ship being held up by a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico

Any_Weather
11-04-2006, 06:39 PM
GAD, mate we ordered a boat at the boat show in August 04 and was told 7 - 8 weeks wait. As the time got closer I booked holidays but did not end up getting it till the week before christmas. It was over 8 weeks late. I hope yours is not much longer

Lee

joeT
11-04-2006, 08:42 PM
My new boat was ready in 2 weeks, even though I had made a special order with side decks. It was quicker than I expected so rather than selling my existing boat privately I just traded it in...

revs57
11-04-2006, 09:19 PM
The Riptide was spot on time...with a 3 days to spare

banshee
11-04-2006, 10:08 PM
My Clark was about six weeks over (about eight years ago),the Cruise Craft was about ten days (four years back)but I added a few things on at the last minute.

Broome_Fisho
12-04-2006, 12:17 AM
Gad, depends where you get it from, I ordered my Top Ender from the local dealer. told 4/6 weeks ended up being being 12!!! but I do live in Broome!!

The next one was ready spot on time, the dealer {in another state} had it on the Show Room and just had to put in the extras I wanted!!

Think it depends where you shop, and what you want!! :P

bcb20
12-04-2006, 06:03 AM
GAD,

Sorry to hear that your new "pride & Joy" is late....but it is a poor reflection on the service we all encounter these days. Hang in there, you'll quickly forget about the wait once you're on the water :D.

hey Broome_Fisho, nice looking boat!!!!!

GAD
12-04-2006, 07:21 AM
Thanks gents,
justa little peeved as start holidays tomorrow and will just have to use old tinnie till hew boat arrives.

nice rig broome-fisho

Coontakinta
12-04-2006, 09:27 AM
Sorry to hear of your predicament GAD.

Prior to ordering my 5m SeaQuest Eclipse, I was told the delivery time would be 8 weeks. No worries as I could live with this. On ordering, I was told the delivery date had blown out to 11 weeks, as there was quite a bit of work on. Again no worries, as I was getting married and the boat would be ready for my return from my honeymoon. Plus the fact that I was having quite a modifications done made this a reasonable delay.

I left on my honeymoon with the express direction that the dealer make me aware of any hold ups in my absence as once the hull had arrived it was to be taken away to have the donk and electronics fitted. On my return, the same day infact, I called the dealer to see when I could pick up the boat as it shoulda been there waiting for me and my $. No it 8nt here yet, there was a hold up @ the painters and its not due here till early next week. When I asked about y I wasnt informed earlier, because I had already booked the date to have the extras fitted weeks in advance so as to avoid delay, I was told' "things just sorta got away from us and a day turned into a week, and we just 4got!" >:(

Hence I dont have many kind words to say about this particular dealer and I direct anyone interested in buying one of these hulls to that dealers competition, even if it is about an hours drive from the Adelaide CBD

Argle
12-04-2006, 09:45 AM
My Signature was delivered on the specified day with no problems at all :)
I told the dealer to nominate the delivery day rather than me saying "I want it by..." Dunno weather it made any difference or not but I was happy with the delivery time.

Cheers and Beers
Scott

Heath
12-04-2006, 10:48 AM
My Cruise Craft was 3 days late. Didn't matter really, whats 3 days after a 7 week wait. Besides, rather wait 3 days & have everything done properly, rather than get stuck into them & have a rush job done.

Coontakinta
12-04-2006, 11:26 AM
I agree with your thoughts heath, but Y cant these dealers keep u informed as to the progress of your purchase. Its indicative of the service u receive as a whole. Once the signature is on the order u go from being their best mate to a pain in the RS simply because u want to be kept informed.

Take GAD's example. Now I dont know how much he's outlayed for this holiday in the hope that he'd have a new rig to test. Imagine his and his families excitment @ the thought. The days nearing @ an impecable rate and everything is ready for a fantastic trip. Then @ the last minute you have your hopes deflated by a late delivery date and your stuck with your old rig that may not have been serviced, may not even be registered, and may not even be able to accommodate the whole family or the fishing u had planned.

GAD, hope u get to work something out or @ least the weather is so bad that u couldnt have got ur new rig out anyway and r forced to fish the inshore grounds, that way hopefully u wouldnt miss not having the newbie as much.

MIKOS
12-04-2006, 11:43 AM
Mine was 6 weeks late.

Not happy jan.

It was purchased from a dealer at Redcliffe who I wont be naming.

5 and a half weeks I rang them after many other phone calls only to be told that it would be another 3 weeks.

I then told them that i was going to pull the pin and amazingly 2 days later the boat turned up.

Mind you that the colour of the carpet that I had ordered was the wrong colour and when I questioned the owner of the business he simply replied for me to get a spray can and paint it

I told him to start painting!!!

I would have been happy to return the boat to the for servicing but they were so dissapointing in there sales I had to ask the question what would there service be like?

I dont have anything to do with them anymore.. simple :)

Cheers

Mike ;)

MIKOS
12-04-2006, 11:45 AM
m

Heath
12-04-2006, 12:24 PM
George at Wynnum marine kept me informed during my whole purchase process. Even ringing me during the 7 week wait to give me an update Eg = It' s out the mould, etc. About a week before delivery he called & let me know that may be a few days behind & he will let me know later in the week how they were travelling (pickup was supposed to be a Monday) Called me 2 days before the pickup date to let me know that yes, the boat would not be ready for Monday & that Thursday was a goer. Got the call Wed arvo to say say "COME PICK HER UP Tomorrow"

I have absolutely no complaints with the service I received during the purchase of our boat, with Wynnum Marine.
I was consulted when it come to the fitout, as some of the places I wanted things, they couldn't fit.
On the big day, George showed us around the boat & then said " I'll leave you boys to crawl over it, come see me when your done" We spent about an hour looking over her & couldn't fault the boat, trailer or fitout one little bit & wasn't given the hurry up by the sales staff.

Gbanger
12-04-2006, 01:07 PM
bluefin, about 3 days i think, dealer was just slack..

CamH
12-04-2006, 01:57 PM
MIKOS - I reckon you're talking about Cunninghams Marine. They stuffed me around with a Trailcraft CC which was different to the specs on the one I order then tried to make me feel guilty about not taking the one they had.

Clint06
12-04-2006, 02:46 PM
I ordered a seaquest boat last year and the brisbane tinnie and tackle show, a 6.3 razerline halfcab. It ended up being about a month late, but i had a lot of troubles, even after getting it. First the dealer i bought it from changed hands while it was being built and i was not told. second the new guys knew nothing about the boats and could not answer any questions about them. Then when the delivery date was getting near i called the dealer to find out its progress, they blatantly lied and told me it was on the truck on its way to the dealership, after a week of this excuse i rang the manufacturer direct only to find out that it had not left and was not expected to be finished for at least a week. then for the next little while i got the run around from the dealership, not returning phone calls, sorry he's out at the moment, we dont know whats going on we'll ring you back- that sort of thing. When it finally did arrive i went to check it out- it was on the wrong trailer, the trailer was in fact too small for the boat with the bow sprit hanging about a metre over the front of the trailer. As soon as i saw it i knew it was wrong but the dealer insisted it was the right trailer. Luckily there was another new boat the same at the dealership so i was able to show the guy the right type of trailer, he was not appologetic at all.
Then it got worse - the dealership was fitting out some of the extras - sounder, radios, engine, etc
Just about everything they touched they f*##ed. Engine (200hp Honda) was on loose, radios glued on (fell out on first trip), one of the arials popriveted through two holes and screwed through two ??(pop rivets popped out on first trip), transducer mounted too low (acted like a trim tab and made the boat lean). this was just some of the problems but you get the gist. What struck me the most was the inneptidude of these boat salesmen, i am fairly new to boating but these guys were just hopeless, the worst part though was the dishonesty, if theres been a hold up or they are not experienced enough to do something properly then i would rather know about it than be lied to, at least then you can find a solution.

The main problem in this situation is that you have given these guys a fair deposit so you dont want to piss them off too much. But at the same time you have paid good money (i paid about 80k in total) and should expect a certain level of workmanship and honesty. I came away from the experience very unhappy and will be a lot more careful next time i buy a boat.

I also learned recently of another bloke who ordered a razerline the day before i did from the same dealer, he recieved his only a couple of weeks ago - about 3months late- and had many of the same problems i did.

MIKOS
12-04-2006, 03:44 PM
Right on CamH ;)

Mike

GAD
12-04-2006, 03:57 PM
Well it seems to me like there are a few good stories out there but as a general rule they got your deposit and order and then its not thier problem, till its time to deliver and get the rest of the green.
If they were honest about time of delivery that the builder nominated and not keep telling me its leaving for Cairns and it is still in factory I would have not been so pissed.Just progress reports or how about some photo's of the build emailed to you so at least you know how its going.For the price you pay for a boat these days thats bugger all.
As for my holiday have decided to go to visit friends in coff's after Easter in hinchinbrook ,and I guess I'll just have to make do with the old tinnie, 3.7 m stessl , [shes been good to me for 22 years] , but still not happy Jan
Thanks for the support guys , have a good Easter and tight lines ,

Greg

MIKOS
12-04-2006, 04:13 PM
Greg,

Happy easter to you mate .Have a good holiday.

Mike ;)

luskin
12-04-2006, 08:56 PM
Hey Gad

Put money down on 22nd January and boat is still not finished!!

Farkin pissed off but what can ya do? Was tradin old boat so had me over a barrel

Should be ready by Easter Tuesday

Whatever >:( >:( >:(

Cheers

And yeh once I'm on the water so be it!!

Sy

Lobster48
12-04-2006, 09:12 PM
Sounds like some bad stories out there. I am currently getting my boat built and hope I do not face the same issues. A couple of tips though:

If you are buying a custom boat...only deal with the manufacturer direct. To trust some 'salesman' in Brisbane to tell you about a boat made in Perth is not gonna work at all. Deal with the builder direct. It is not like a mass produced car here that you get off the showroom...this is a handcrafted (generally) one off boat that cost a lot of money...Don't know about you but I am not gonna trust that kind of money with some 'salesman'.

Second...be realistic in your timeframe. These things do take a lot of time. They will push a closer timeframe as a way of getting you to buy as we all want our new toys now...be realistic. Again if you deal direct with the manufacturer you should be able to get a more honest appraisal of the time taken.

Finally...get it all in writing. Don't wait for them to do it...do it yourself. When you are happy with the final setup, write up a document outlining exactly what YOU expect from the manufacturer. This should include fittings, colours, engines, trailers, lights, wheel sizes, stud patterns etc and a realistic due date. This should also show the final quote for all that you have outlined...this will protect against the little 10% increase in alloy cost here or the 5% increase in labour costs there. Get the dealer / manufacturer to sign it, or at least sign an acknowledgement that he has received your written request. It gives you grounds to fight on should your project go pear shaped.

You are INVESTING a lot of money ... take ownership from the outset and keep the bastards honest.

Hope this helps...I will let you all know how it works for me.

Lobster

MILTON
13-04-2006, 08:30 AM
Quintrex mate they were spot on with their delivery time

MILTON

Rlee
13-04-2006, 02:56 PM
We were told 8 - 10 weeks but it was ready in 6 including the extras we added on.

StevenM
13-04-2006, 08:23 PM
Shouldnt be any dramas with a production boat like a Quinny.

Any way mine was about 4 week late, put coin down etc as was getting mods done to unit. Boat show rolled into town, dealer moved etc...sold the other tinny, was land based for about 3 months...missed the spotty season all together. Ya get that

cheers

steven