PDA

View Full Version : What size and type of motor

fishingbarry
17-04-2006, 04:27 PM
Just been given my dad's 3.75 Allycraft as he is too old to use it anymore .It has a 1973 , 20hp Johnson on the bum.Yes thats right 1973 so I am keen for some thoughts,should I go for another 20hp or 15hp #, 2 stroke/4stroke there is a budget to consider, so is it ok to buy 2nd hand.I would love to get this boat up and running so I can take my old mate(Dad) out for a fish as he is 85yrs old it is quite a planning exsersise to get him in and out of the boat but it WILL be done.

joeT
17-04-2006, 10:16 PM
I'd go for the 20. Its always better to have more power then less, and it would keep with the existing setup.

Whether you go for 2/4 stroke or second hand will depend on your budget. Personally, I'd go for a new 2 stroke - reliable, cheaper than 4 stroke, and lighter.

Great to hear that you will keep taking your dad out fishing, thumbs up there :)

joey_1987
17-04-2006, 10:21 PM
I would go for a 15hp yammie or 18hp tohatsu, both motors have proven reliable and will be more than adequate power for this rig. Tohatsu are often overlooked and forgotten about, they do make a great engine and many hire boat companies use them and when you see the use they are subjected to, one can wonder why they still run so well. Joey.

finga64
18-04-2006, 07:12 AM
I have a 3.75 Edgetracker. I had a 25 Tohy on the back and the thing went like a cut snake. Never really used all the power.
I have now got a 15HP Honda on the back and there is no way short of somebody threatening to cut both my arms off is the Honda coming off.
Don't get me wrong. The Tohatsu is a terrific motor and I haven't got 1 wrong word to say about it. I still have the motor and wish I had a bigger boat to put it on.
The Honda is excellent with the electric start. It's quiet, smooth and extremely economical to run.
Performance wise the Tohatsu with me in the boat could get well over 50km/h, with 4 adults could still go 43km/h....just plain scarey in a little tinny and only ever got to fullthrottle a couple of times when the conditions were perfect.
The Honda with me gets up to 42km/h and with the cook and myself gets up to 32km/h. Fast enough for me #:)
Your dad would probably appreciate the quality of the day with the 4 stroke and I wouldn't think he'd want to loose any more hair with the speed of the boat ::)
If the finances allow go the 4 stroke #:)
Another point to remember that a 20hp in 1973 is equivalent to say a 15hp today performance wise.
Cheers Scott

Coontakinta
18-04-2006, 11:10 AM
I'm with Joey on this one, look @ the Tohatsu. It's probably cheaper than the other makes and could also be the same motor in different livery! Also I'd go the 20hp if the budget permits.

As for the 4s. well how much fuel are u likely to use in a year? Then ask yourself, how much more fuel misely is the 4s to the 2s? then ask yourself is the xtra $ really worth the extra cost.

Perhaps the quiteness of the 4s has some advantages for your style of fishing, I dunno ::), but take a look @ al these things as it could save u spending $ u dont need too!

fishingbarry
18-04-2006, 07:12 PM
To all that have replied,
What a great response and great advice thanks to everyone.I will take it all on board as it was all good,I had forgotten about "Tohy's" so there is another avenue for me to look and as some have said 2 strokes are so much more realiable these days,I do like the 15 Honda but at what price compared to other options.Looks like more beer and research into this.I got the old Johnson going and believe it or not it runs like a top so it looks like my good old mate Dad and I real soon up a little calm creek telling lies and laughing . Life is good.
Cheers and thanks again . Barry. #8-)

MILTON
18-04-2006, 07:43 PM
I have a 3.85 Quintrex explorer with a 15 Yammy on the back and even with a load of camping gear and three people on board it gets up on the plane and goes well.

MILTON