PDA

View Full Version : Evinrude shaft wear at waterpump

liltuffy
19-04-2006, 08:20 AM
Hi guys, when servicing my 90 HP 1997 Ocean Pro outboard on the weekend the gearbox had water in the oil, after pulling the box out and pressurising the gearbox I discovered the source of the leak was the drive shaft seal that enters the gearbox below the water pump. A couple of mates have had similar problems and just keep changing oil - I'd rather just fix it.

I've bought a speedi sleeve to sleeve the shaft however haven't figured out how to get the sleeve all the way down the shaft yet.

My question is who else has had this problem and what did you do to get it fixed

Pwoida
19-04-2006, 09:26 AM
Had the same problem on a 25 hp Evinrude, the drive shaft was pitted badly around the water pump. I sent the shaft to an engineering mob at coopers plains and I'm not sure how they did it, but it came out looking as good as new.

blaze
19-04-2006, 10:59 AM
an engineering shop will machine the damaged area, build up again with a spray powder (bit like spraypainting with a gas fired heat source), machine off again and finish up with a ground finish. Just like new or depending on the metal build up, maybe better.
cheers
blaze

Pwoida
19-04-2006, 01:08 PM
Fixing it is definitely the way to go caus if you keep letting water get in after changing the oil regularly its still going to caus problems in the long run imo.

unhappyseajaybuyer
19-04-2006, 03:09 PM
ye fix it properly even just for peace of mind as salt water even 4 a short amount of time can do damage