PDA

View Full Version : Freshwater motors in the salt

Poseidon
17-04-2006, 08:59 AM
When out and about I've noticed a number of 'Freshwater' electric motors being used in the salt. Asking a few questions to some of the dealers on the topic seems to indicate that there is not alot of difference between the 2 style of motors construction, only that the saltwater versions are equiped with anodes and better protection to the electrical connections mainly around the foot controls. A few models of freshwater motors looked at appeared to have similar protection to the foot control wiring as the saltwater version, these were Motorguide Motors.
Has anyone had any long term success in using a freshwater motor in the salt, once an anode is fitted? Either Motorguide or MinnKota.
I am just trying to understand the construction differences between the water types versus the $$ charged.

Regards Cameron.

jordo
17-04-2006, 10:42 AM
Hey, I use a freshwater minn kota bow mount in the saltwater and so far its absuloutely fine. I just bought the anode and put on the prop and when i get home i wash it really well and spray with inox. I didn't think i needed a saltwater 1 when i bought it as only chased bass but now use it fishing in the estuaries. I havn't had a problem with it yet. Its 3 years old.

See ya

johnno02
18-04-2006, 12:31 AM
Hi All,

I Believe the prop shaft on the saltwater electric motors are Stainless steel as well,not sure about the freshwater ones.

I just bought a little Sevylor electric,for goint to Manning Point N.S.W,along with a little Fishunter hf 250, so,I guess Time will tell.

Regards.
John

keen_as_mustard
18-04-2006, 07:31 AM
Cameron,

I am guessing you already know, but if you use a freshwater electric in the salt you will void the warranty. Hard to prove/disprove but I am sure there are tell-tale signs the manufacturers have to determine this.

All my fishing is in the salt so I went with a saltwater Minn Kota - peace of mind for me if something does go wrong. They are a lot more expensive though, for what seems like a few extra parts.

Marty

rick_k
18-04-2006, 11:05 PM
i've had a minnkota 46lb freshwater model for over 10 years, mostly in the salt chasing lizards. At that time similar saltwater models did not have the maximiser.

Some of the springs and circlips in the transom bracket are getting a bit ugly with rust now, but the rest is holding up well. I have always given it a good freshwater rinse, including taking the prop off after salt use

Poseidon
19-04-2006, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the feedback fellas, I had a suspicion that providing you kept the motor well cleaned and looked after at the end of the day on the salt it wouldn't be too much of a problem. You would treat a Saltwater model the same way , so no more effort really.

Regards Cameron.

Jack_Lives_Here
19-04-2006, 05:29 PM
The saltwater versions have better protection on the electronics / blue smoke making bits. Used a freshwater model for years in the salt and washed it down with soapy water after every trip - it's still going strong 8 years on.