PDA

View Full Version : Converting to a centre console

Horrie
19-04-2006, 06:10 PM
I recently bought my first boat...a 3.75 tinny with 25hp Johnno (not electric). Has flat floor and front deck.It has received many positive comments. Fitted out with VHF, sounders, GPS etc etc.
The problem is this: I struggle to use the "tiller steering" due to a disability. I should have thought of this before I bought her. :-[ :-[ :-[
Can it be converted? Is it a worthwhile exercise to convert to centre console or should I learn from my mistake and trade up?
Any comments would be most welcome.
Horrie

Bowser
19-04-2006, 06:19 PM
Horrie,

You could convert it but the size of the boat may be against you. Things like freeboard, as you will be standing up what sort of support do you get from the boat sides, will it be too low and therefore easy to fall over if you get bounced. You can get around this with rails etc but it may work out cheaper to upsize. And you will probably end up with a better boat that is more fishable then the 3.75.

It may sound a bit commercial but if you do decide to upsize let me know as I am thinking of selling my 4.45 centre console.

steveg1100
19-04-2006, 06:19 PM
It can be converted but it might be a cheaper option to trade up.

The_Walrus
19-04-2006, 06:47 PM
I have a 4M pointy punt and as I do most of my fishing alone, out of sheer curiosity, I looked at converting to a sit down CC setup for better balance and convenience.

Got quoted at least $2500 most of it to convert the engine from tiller to remote.

Upgrading to a similar setup (new) in centre console would cost me more than that.

Haven't gone ahead with it as not worth the trouble. However if I was to upgrade, I would definitely go for a cc setup.

Luc

john_laura
19-04-2006, 07:04 PM
Hi

Here is the link to a post I started a few days ago. There is a good photo of a side console set, maybe the sitdown centre console is a good idea cased on the side console idea. Although I agree with the others and think that the boat might be just that bit to small for it.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1145279643

John.

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
20-04-2006, 08:25 AM
Would extending the length of the tiller arm help you Horrie?

Just a thought.

Dave