PDA

View Full Version : Gel, Deep cycle, or Calcium Battery?

Grass_Cutter
19-04-2006, 06:18 PM
With the range of batteries expanding, what are the pro's and con's of available batteries?

I'm looking for a twin battery system that will turn over a 150hp 4 stroke and run the usual electrics.

Dignity
19-04-2006, 08:04 PM
Grass cutter - there is a thread currently running re dual batteries, worth a look, also others in recent history

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1140333884

My advice with Calcium batteries is to definately not consider them as they tolerate a medium discharge a lot less than other types. Have been let down by them.

sam

tuppence
19-04-2006, 09:06 PM
go for gel no spill the wifes wheelchair has had 2 small deep cycle ones in her wheelchair since 1999. ;D

MulletMan
20-04-2006, 09:33 AM
Would stay clear of the calcium batteries. We had 'em in some rescue boats and in my own boat.
Never seemed to be able to keep the charge up on them and eventually replaced the lot wioth good old fashioned marine batteries.
Think DELCOR are the main manufacturers of them ........................
Try for as many "plates" as possible - I think the maximum is about sixteen?
When you install the two batteries, suggest also getting a "Smart Charger" as well. This allows you to recharge the batteries from a charger and the device will automatically feed the lowest charged battery.
Too many chargers just keep pumping the charge into both batteries at once.
They are not all that expensive and worth the money.
I have my batteries connected to a charger on a timer switch that hits them with about one hour charge each day - never had a flat battery problem since!